Today I...

Dan

Jealous much!

Just hoping that the yellow jersey stops being a bit of a poison chalice! I imagine you'll have to be there relatively early to get a good spot?

More to soak up the atmosphere as I've never been to Paris before, will get there about 12 ish.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More to soak up the atmosphere as I've never been to Paris before, will get there about 12 ish.

I imagine the atmosphere will be fantastic - arrival at 12ish means that you'll be there in good time without having to leave Rouen too early. If you need any help planning getting around Paris just PM me. (I lived there for 8 months!)

• 3 weeks later...

Today I will take delivery of my new car (a Passat estate). I had to purchase a replacement car as my previous has been written off following a fairly severe accident during our last family holiday in Holland earlier this year. The trip started well. Dover-Calais on Spirit of France followed by a few days in Noord-Holland which included a ferry crossing to the island of Texel. Very nice place to visit. On our return journey we have been hit on the motorway by a car which sent us on a spin and resulted in our car being sideways and hit by a van which couldn't stopped. We have been very lucky as we got out with a couple of broken ribs "only" thanks to the airbags.

The insurance company was utterly useless on the day (a saturday morning) despitre a comprhensive cover and extension for European travel. While making the first call to open the claim, I was told that they couldn't do anything for us until the Monday morning as their "Special Jurisdiction department" was closed on weekends. Needless to say I was enraged to hear that when your spouse and child have been taken to hospital and your standing on the side on the motorway. Thumbs up to Ford Assistance who sorted us swiftly with taxis and replacement vehicle.

So today I am glad I can put all of that behind us.

I agree that Ford Asistance are great, they managed to get us a tow from the middle of nowhere in Brittany to Roscoff and then back to our house in the midlands when our car broke down at 5am on a Sunday (in france)

Managed to get back to Selkirk after my 2nd French holiday this year without any disruption had a decent sailing on the Normandie good ship but won't be using the 11pm sailing again, had a great holiday in Rouen with the most helpful lovely gite owners just a truly lovely couple, managed to get a photo of French customs hard at work in Caen.

• 2 weeks later...

...have managed to get wifi in our house in France (finally) after numerous visits to the Orange shop in Pontivy in the last few days; having to pay by cheque for the first month and having a RIB and all shops closing at lunch time and on mondays etc. etc. , chaos. Now we have managed to set up wifi (yay) but have managed to kill the landline phone in the process (oops) . Looks like another visit to Pontivy Orange shop tomorrow then (but this isn't a "tomorrow I will" thread so i'll save it)

My ipad is beginning to lose its charge quickly - new one needed. Usually when something messes about technology wise, things come in threes so two other things will go on the blink. Not as flush as I once was so have to save the pennies a lot more like a lot of other people, and I would rather spend the money on ferries. But I have to put an ipad on the card, so be it, but not amused!!

My ipad is beginning to lose its charge quickly - new one needed. Usually when something messes about technology wise, things come in threes so two other things will go on the blink. Not as flush as I once was so have to save the pennies a lot more like a lot of other people, and I would rather spend the money on ferries. But I have to put an ipad on the card, so be it, but not amused!!

I would have thought a new battery would be a lot more cost effective than a new iPad.

I don't know if you have an Apple shop near you? If you go in and talk to them about it they'll probably try to do something about it, I know people who have had a tiny crack in the top corner and been given a brand new ipad, don't know about a bad battery but they may try and repair it.....

We do have an Apple store - took it in last week - what happened was that I forgot it was plugged in charging, and reached over in bef to pick it up off the table and yanked the cable out the port!! That has happened before so a fair bit of effing this and that from me. Noticed though that afterwards, charging was slower, so thought I'd buy a new Lightning cable (Apple one - not cheapo) and fished out a spare Apple wall charger. No difference, and also during use it stays at 100% charge for ages, then discharges quite quick.

Apple store guy reckoned I had damaged the port so would need a new one. As the pad is around 3 now itbis getting on so would probably start wearing out soon anyway. Apple guy just sort of shrugged his shoulders about it, so I rang Apple's tech support, spoke to a nice lady who was very helpful, but the outcome was that probably this is more down to age, and the plug pull out was just coincidence with the device beginning to show it's age. I will buy a new one soon, but in meantime will have to look for one of those power packs you can plug your device into - spare power if no plug anywhere, as at present carry the wall plug and cable with me to plug in somewhere to keep the charge up. Subway and Maccys have blocked their power points off due to homeless blokes charging their phones and not buying anything - so done us regular customers out of a charging point!!

It's nice to have something shiny and new my old laptop lasted 6 years I kept hoping it would pack in so I would have an excuse to buy a new one but it kept slogging on and still is but the new one was about £150 cheaper than the old one and its quicker and more powerful so its all good.

My ipad's predecessor is an Acer laptop that still works fine - and I have an old ipod touch. Having used both Apple and Windows I find Apple much more easier to use and less infuriating. Just darn expensive - and always seem to go on the blink when I am trying to save the pennies!! Typical computers.

Archived