• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to Today I - well been considering the possibility of doing a trip on Barfleur, and on arriving back in Poole, going straight back through check in for an overnight on the Liberation. Only thinking mind - but the seed of though has been sown and last time I had that kind of idea it was a day trip to Dover to visit Barfleur... And I did it as well.

Bought a new laptop and updated it to windows 10 not sure what the difference between that and windows 8 and what happened to 9.

Windows 10 is running better than windows 8 for me, on windows 8 the wireless driver kept uninstalling. No such problems on windows 10.

• Like 1

I would have thought a new battery would be a lot more cost effective than a new iPad.

Excellent idea, shame Apple didn't think of that when they used an integrated battery that can not be changed simply. Or maybe they just saw £ signs in the integrated battery idea.

Definitely the ££££s - I went to get a new battery for my old ipod touch - took it to apple shop and was told they couldn't do it. Wish I could just buy a new battery, Regarding cables, heard that Apple are putting a new chip in either the cable or devices that will be able to tell if it is not an Apple cable being connected and user will get a message pop up. Can you actually buy longer Lightning cables, out of interest, could do with a 2 metre one.

Definitely the ££££s - I went to get a new battery for my old ipod touch - took it to apple shop and was told they couldn't do it.

That's the problem, you went to the Apple shop, all they want to do is sell you a new ipod, ipad or iphone. There are plenty of people out there quite capable of changing a battery, screen or digitizer even if it is soldered in.

Thing is Garth, they are sealed units so you have to bust them to get to the battery. How do you replace a battery inside a sealed unit, they have to be sent to Apple. My ipad is outbof warranty anyway and is getting on a bit so it is really wear and tear as well as possibly any damage I have done by letting the cord get yanked out, that would be my fault and not really covered by warranty. Due to age of the device, would need replacing soon anyway, was expecting it sooner or later.

Khaines, may I suggest you contact Apple and make a claim to exercise your rights under the UK consumer law - see this link http://www.apple.com/uk/legal/statutory-warranty/ . These are, for obvious reasons, not particularly prominent amongst manufacturers but are valid for 6 years after purchase of the product. My brother claimed for what would have been an expensive MacBook repair at an Apple store which was well out of warranty under these and did not have to pay a penny.

I am not 100% sure of the conditions of the above though, but like I say, worth a try.

Thing is Garth, they are sealed units so you have to bust them to get to the battery. How do you replace a battery inside a sealed unit, they have to be sent to Apple. My ipad is outbof warranty anyway and is getting on a bit so it is really wear and tear as well as possibly any damage I have done by letting the cord get yanked out, that would be my fault and not really covered by warranty. Due to age of the device, would need replacing soon anyway, was expecting it sooner or later.

They only look sealed they are actually clipped together and with the right tools very easy to get apart. As you dropped it with the cord attached it may just be cracked print on the docking socket.

Definitely the ££££s - I went to get a new battery for my old ipod touch - took it to apple shop and was told they couldn't do it. Wish I could just buy a new battery, Regarding cables, heard that Apple are putting a new chip in either the cable or devices that will be able to tell if it is not an Apple cable being connected and user will get a message pop up. Can you actually buy longer Lightning cables, out of interest, could do with a 2 metre one.

I've got a non-Apple replacement cable as the Apple one broke, Its about 1.5 metres. Bought it from Tesco Extra. Works ok.​ Half the price of an Apple cable

Regarding cables - whether I buy Apple or anything else the way unexpected expenses are going on in my neck of the woods, will be needing to put up with my present arrangement until pay day. Funny how, when one tries to rein in the spending, things always crop up that need money thrown at them. Not exactly wise behaviour buying that print - that means £20 worth of things I have to go without to make up for it, and it will be no afternoon coffees a month, because I really wanted thfat print!! And no buying food from the catering wagons at the Air Festival.

Regarding cables - whether I buy Apple or anything else the way unexpected expenses are going on in my neck of the woods, will be needing to put up with my present arrangement until pay day. Funny how, when one tries to rein in the spending, things always crop up that need money thrown at them. Not exactly wise behaviour buying that print - that means £20 worth of things I have to go without to make up for it, and it will be no afternoon coffees a month, because I really wanted thfat print!! And no buying food from the catering wagons at the Air Festival.

Since we have been budgeting tightly to try and save up, unforeseen expenses seem to keep popping up. Fortunately we did budget tightly in honesty or we would have been without a washing machine,​

HMS Daring was seen on AIS as being in Bournemouth moored - nowhere to be seen. Interesting seeing the ice patrol vessel Protector - she has taken over from Endeavor (?) Albeit stern on so far!!

Think she took over from Endurance, she was flooded in Antarctica and heavy lifted back to Portsmouth and currently for sale on the MOD website

Endurance - thanks for corrrecting that, was nattering about Protector to the Navy chaps and they did mention Endurance, was sitting here trying to remember her name when posting. First three letters correct, knew it began with End!! Still wondering where Daring is - she isn't among the lot gathered for the Air Festival.

Endurance - thanks for corrrecting that, was nattering about Protector to the Navy chaps and they did mention Endurance, was sitting here trying to remember her name when posting. First three letters correct, knew it began with End!! Still wondering where Daring is - she isn't among the lot gathered for the Air Festival.

Daring is currently in Portsmouth

She is indeed - was chatting to the Navy guys yesterday - alongside having a laugh at what the national flag is called!! Think Protector is the one masquerading as Daring, or Duke, we joked. Looking from the beach, left to right they are Middleton, Argus, Duke and Protector. (With Sheildhall and the tall ship Tenacious about as well on occasion)

Watched the Argus and Iron Duke leave Bournemouth last night from my window. Using the binos could see the Argus anchor being brought up, am pretty certain I saw a bod leaning over the bow and spraying the anchor with water, do they do that? Could make out a bod leaning over the bow with what looked like a black hose and a stream of water going over the anchor. Do they wash the anchors?