Re: Today I...

I went down to the river with my bicycle and camera and ate lunch under a tree, watched the attached sail by and dreamt of faraway places . . .

Do many cruise ships visit London? I was at Tower Bridge on Monday and saw two - SeaDream 1 and NG Explorer.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do many cruise ships visit London? I was at Tower Bridge on Monday and saw two - SeaDream 1 and NG Explorer.

Not that many, Kevin. The two together on Monday was, I believe, a 'first' - at least in modern times. There are about 8 visits planned to what is now called TBU (Tower Bridge Upper), the old Pool of London. Occasionally a Seabourne ship docks at Tower Bridge Lower, just downstream of the bridge.

There are also about 6 planned calls at Greenwich, which is a tender port, but can take larger ships. 6 is quite low - 'The World' is probably the largest regular visitor and calls every two years (not 2014). There are also regular naval calls - I attach a photo of HMS Ocean whose visits seem to have replaced the annual aircraft carrier calls.

Plans for a deep water cruise terminal at Greenwich have been slowly maturing for many years. One day, maybe.

Then, of course, there is what is called The London Cruise Terminal at Tilbury, the home port of the Marco Polo, and a very occasional other visitor. There are several photo spots both at Gravesend, as well as from the the Tilbury - Gravesend ferry. (but then, who wants lots of photos of the Marco Polo??).

After returning, very carefully, from our time in Bricquebec I am examining the front suspension of the Riley.

Roger - The care and help given by Anne and Loic was beyond measure.

Excellent. Looking forward to next Friday myself, courtesy of the NEx. Re the suspension. Is that a commentary on the parking area in the Chateau - or a wider problem? Generally speaking, I find that the authorities in Basse Normandie are maintaining their roads very well. Pot holes are rare. The problem here in the UK (apart from pot holes) is the speed humps or whatever they are called. We are one third of a mile from a main road (A2, A206 or A102) in any direction. It is impossible to gain access without passing, at the minimum, 11 humps - or 10 if you take a longer, unnatural route. What has life come to when one is counting the continuing proliferation of speed humps? We are also 'protected' by narrow pinch points at some locations. Several times a day major delays build up whilst artics and lesser beasts get stuck trying to take short cuts. But the sun is shining, it is a lovely day, I'll walk up to Greenwich Park at lunchtime and I'm saving £68 by not buying commodore seats on the NEx, (they are poor value in my book) - so stop moaning, Roger.

Roger

I hit pothole near to Fareham after deciding to take a bit of a scenic route after Winchester. Loud noise but steering ok so carried on to Portsmouth. The noises lessened so we boarded Bretagne and managed to get to Deck 5. The drive off was not good because of the rough ramps but we decide to carry on because The French roads are so much better. The entry to the Chateau has had the small holes filled so that was no problem. Loic took us to his Renault garage for an inspection. The mechanic removed the bump stop and seat which had almost parted from the car and pronounced it drivable with care. We did not use it whilst in B'bec but Loic took us to St Vaast and Anne offered a trip to Cherbourg. We returned carefully to Worcester on Wednesday.

Harry

Been backwards and forwards to have new sets of keys cut as lost mine yesterday. Using the spare set to get copies done, the new keys didn't fit the locks properly so spent a lot of time going back and forth to the keycutters And they still don't work properly!!:@

Watched one of the Condor cats go out followed by our BF friend close behind, didn't get a piccy as didn't have the camera with the good zoom on it!! Didn't expect to see the cat, always nice to see two ferries together out in the Bay.

Woke up later than usual with a headache. I had 3 pints of lager last night and feel a little 'ropey.' That was soon cured by 2 medium strength paracetamol and I feel fine now.

Done a lot of reading on bf-enthusiasts and took plenty of time contributing to various topics which have took my interest.

I have two baked croissants to the right of me waiting to be eating, just not sure whether to have chocolate spread or strawberry jam!!

And well, that's my day so far....

Been to vote - not voted for who I normally do due to that party being the reason I have a lot of the problems I am having, will not vote for them ever again under this leadership.

Enjoyed the spectacle of a heavy thunderstorm with lightning and hailstones while waiting to board Barfleur at Cherbourg this evening. The billowing, black cloud formations were quite startling. Nevertheless. a calm crossing ensued.

Didn't hear one thunderclap here in Bournemouth and it was coming this way. Was expecting some very stormy weather. Very windy at the moment outside, doesn't somehow encourage the younger females to dress accordingly, seen a few walking about in their tiny clubbing dresses. Makes me feel old. Blokes all coated up and warm, women like it is 90% in the shade....(L)

Lucky Cowes, hope it is heading this way, we have the cloud and wind plus rain here in Bournemouth. Was going for a meeting in a seafront eaterie this morning but was closed, the second choice was too, so we had to troupe back into town and got rather windswept an wet.

Hopefully the IOW weather is on its way...:)

Lucky Cowes, hope it is heading this way, we have the cloud and wind plus rain here in Bournemouth. Was going for a meeting in a seafront eaterie this morning but was closed, the second choice was too, so we had to troupe back into town and got rather windswept an wet.

Hopefully the IOW weather is on its way...:)

Brigitte, we are lucky here in Lee on the Solent, weather is so usually good.

Today I .....took a very short jaunt to Madrid using BA's new weekend day trip fares :D

Both ways on 767's :Long haul config outbound; European config back - pleasantly surprised when presenting myself to the Lounge Guardian at Heathrow Galleries South that I had been upgraded to Club Europe :D!

Downside - it was in the World Traveller Plus mini cabin which felt more cramped than my return in Euro Traveller.

Never mind - two champagnes consumed outbound; four cavas in the Sala Verasquez (no Gin available :'( ) and three G+T's on the way back made for an enjoyable - but tiring - day out

Den

Depends where you sat in Euro traveller Den. If you were in any of the front 17 rows all the seats have club leg room......

Day trips are great, but Barcelona really starts to come alive at about 10 pm!

Depends where you sat in Euro traveller Den. If you were in any of the front 17 rows all the seats have club leg room......

Day trips are great, but Barcelona really starts to come alive at about 10 pm!

Waaaaaaaaay down the back in 35K Skip. Outbound I was in 10A - bulkhead seat in the WT+ mini cabin. It might have a bit to do with there being no window as it's in line with the leading edge of the engine and the tray table being housed in the armrest - but being an OpUp I shouldn't really complain.

Does make you realise that you have to carefully choose your seat if you're paying to fly long haul in this cabin :-/

Den

Den, many have already left the fleet for their "retirement home" in the sun at Victorville..........

The current plan sees all the long-haul 767s gone by next year, replaced by the Dreamliner..

But a good point, if you are going to be stuck in a seat for hours, might as well be a food one!

Woke up at 8:30 and ate a multi-pack of milky ways.

Went to the shop and spent £5 on scratch cards. Won £4.

Mrs is away so I cooked dinner - a Fray Bentos tin pie and a multi pack of kinder bars I bought from the £ shop.

Met a friend and drank tea, read the paper, TV, general chilling out etc.

Had another pie for tea, a pint of tizer, a scotch egg and half a batten-burg.

Indigestion.

Bed.

Overall, a rather satisfactory Saturday.

Spent all day trying to ignore all the packets of biscuits I brought back from Carrefour - then undid the good work by having a barbecue wrap in KFC. So I indulged in the biscuits after all when I got home, as going in for a pint of milk in M&S, there just so happened to have a packet of 2 peach scones reduced to 55p, so grabbed them and pigged one of them at midnight.

Paying for it this morning - all those refined carbs!!! Cramps like goodness knows what...