"Budgie wins cross-stitcher of the year award"

Dan

Unbelieveable, taken from Ananova:

A three-year-old budge has been named Young Cross-Stitcher of the Year.

Spike picked up the Cross-Stitcher magazine award after picking up the habit from owner Sandra Battye.

Sandra, 31, of Stevenage, Herts, who nursed Spike back to health after a food allergy almost killed her, said: "She would sit on my shoulder and watch me for hours.

"One day I just sat and didn't stitch. It seemed to frustrate her. Then suddenly she picked up the needle in her beak and began cross-stitching herself. I was staggered. Now I can't stop her.

"She still gets a bit confused at how the patterns work but she is very good at pulling and pushing the needle through the fabric."

Cross-Stitcher magazine editor Cathy Lewis said: "We were amazed by the photos of Spike."

Anyone got any exceptionally talented pets?!!

Dan.

Re: "Budgie wins cross-stitcher of the year award"

Cat's incredibly talented at getting her own way, does that count?

No Phil, that doesn't count as, going on the six cats we have had during my lifetime, all cats have this trait...and knowing when it's time to take them to the vets and choosing this moment to play hide and seek...and knowing when you're going on holiday and putting on a sulky face to try to get you to stay at home...and knowing which chair you want to sit in and sitting there first...and waking up even at the very whiff of your favourite foods...and knowing which buttons to push to have you wrapped around their little fingers (metaphorically, of course)...and knowing when you want to rest so they demand to play with you...need I go on? Still love 'em though!

Yes our cat, Homer, can tell the time but here is something really odd that backs up the idea that cats are far more mysterious then even owners give them credit for.

Just before Xmas our daughter was out at a party in Chi and we were waiting for her to come in. At about midnight Homer appeared in the lounge talking nineteen to the dozen clearly trying to attract our attention and with something on his mind other than the usual food. Three minutes later the phone rang to tell us that she'd hit a pothole and wrecked her alloy wheel. When Homer saw us clearly collecting stuff together and preparing to go out he calmed down and went straight back to sleep - his favourite hobby! Spooky!

(BTW Jonathan trying to find a broken down car on the Selsey peninsula at night when the driver has no idea of where they are and all you have is an OS map and a process of elimination is all the fun you'd expect it to be! No wonder I was drinking Janeau on my return!)

I saw that in the Sun, sorry - comic, yesterday. It looks sooo cute..awwww

I wish ours would do something other than sitting around in her cage, squarking, tweet, squark...etc

Yes our cat, Homer, can tell the time but here is something really odd that backs up the idea that cats are far more mysterious then even owners give them credit for.

Just before Xmas our daughter was out at a party in Chi and we were waiting for her to come in. At about midnight Homer appeared in the lounge talking nineteen to the dozen clearly trying to attract our attention and with something on his mind other than the usual food. Three minutes later the phone rang to tell us that she'd hit a pothole and wrecked her alloy wheel. When Homer saw us clearly collecting stuff together and preparing to go out he calmed down and went straight back to sleep - his favourite hobby! Spooky!

(BTW Jonathan trying to find a broken down car on the Selsey peninsula at night when the driver has no idea of where they are and all you have is an OS map and a process of elimination is all the fun you'd expect it to be! No wonder I was drinking Janeau on my return!)

I can very well believe that story, Millsy. I have been told, in fact, that our cats sulk for a few days when I go off on holiday...then perk up considerably when I'm still on the ferry back home, as if they know I'm on my way! If you ask me, the ancient Egyptians had cats well and truly sussed all those centuries ago when they worshipped them as if they were gods! (L)

As for the Selsey peninsula...you have my deepest sympathies. The one good thing about Selsey in the opinion of many is the one road which takes you away from the God-forsaken place! You well and truly earned your Janeau!!! ;)

Archived