Sign in to follow this  
OLAU-liefhebber

SNAV: The OLAU-twins for SNAV

Hello there,

The OLAU-twins (OLAU HOLLANDIA and OLAU BRITANNIA), temporary sailed under charter for P&O under the names Pride of Le Havre and Pride of Portsmouth have left Falmouth at thursday 05 jan 2006 to Naples.

As you can see at his moment the are sailing near Gibraltar:

See this link to AIS:

http://aisfree.aislive.com/Influx.aspx?Map=Gibraltar%20Strait

Now they are farer away from Holland and will never come back... :'( :'( :'(

Hopely SNAV will care better for these fantastic super twins than P&O did.

P.S. There is still something wrong with the AIS-radar from the SNAV LAZIO (Olau Britannia): it still shows a fals 90 degrees rotated direction..

Re: The OLAU-twins for SNAV

I'd disagree there Robert, although the brandings imposed by Dover were arguably wrong for Portsmouth, both the Olau's had very dedicated and professional crews who worked very hard and looked after those two ships very well all the time.

Very good care was taken of them.

I'd disagree there Robert, although the brandings imposed by Dover were arguably wrong for Portsmouth, both the Olau's had very dedicated and professional crews who worked very hard and looked after those two ships very well all the time.

Very good care was taken of them.

P&O definateley took excellent care for them,and I liked the Dover brandings.Their crews couldn't of been more helpful.

When we take a short look to the Pride of Portsmouth, we can see the results of the MANAGEMENT of P&O. Thats a shame to P&O.:'(

I think, the crew is no doubt about, but when the managment not supplies te money and facilities, the state of the ships is decreasing.

Don't understand me wrong: no doubt about the crew, which was positive until the bitter end and despite their loss of job.

The crews on the Pride of LeHavre and the Pride of Portsmouth were certainly much better than the crew on the Pride of Bilbao. (I am refering mainly to the "passenger contact" staff - restaurants, shops etc.)

Never in my life have I experienced such rude and surly service as I did on a recent mini-cruise to Bilbao. icon8.gif

What a difference to the pleasant and helpful staff on the Pont Aven (and all the B.F. ships for that matter).

What a difference to the pleasant and helpful staff on the Pont Aven (and all the B.F. ships for that matter).

That's what you get with a reletively small comapny concerend only with one product or service.

Sorry have I missed something Millsy? Regardless of the size of the company surely they are both crews on board a passenger vessel, I would have thought the mindset would have been the same if not similar? Did P&O not hand pick the crew for the Bilbao from the Portsmouth and Le Havre?

P&O definateley took excellent care for them,and I liked the Dover brandings.Their crews couldn't of been more helpful.

I wouldn't say P&O took excellent care of them. I think the crew did their best on the budget they were allocated but there were obviously places onboard that hadn't had the money spent to keep them upto a good standard. It was clear to see where money had been spent and where it hadn't, you stepped out of the modern Lagans/Harbour Coffee company area into to the late 80's/early 90's timewarp of the rest of the ship. The cabins had seen better days, the corridor to the IFC was lined with faded posters for the shop they looked like they may have been there from when P&O first got the ships and there was loads of Olau stuff on display plus P&O EF and P&O Portsmouth signs.

Sorry have I missed something Millsy? Regardless of the size of the company surely they are both crews on board a passenger vessel, I would have thought the mindset would have been the same if not similar? Did P&O not hand pick the crew for the Bilbao from the Portsmouth and Le Havre?

Most of the customer contact staff on the Pride of Bilbao were Spanish, and as miserable as sin to boot! I certainly don't think they came off the Pride of Portsmouth / Le Havre.

Please note that I am not having a go at the crew because they were Spanish (my general experience of Spanish people is very favourable), I am having a go at them because they were rude and unpleasant, making the passengers feel as if they were there for the convenience of the crew - not the other way around.

Strange that the "Olau twins" are still referred to as that considering they were with P&O for almost twice as long as Olau.

Contacts at Autorità Portuale di Napoli have confirmed that the M/S SNAV Lazio and M/S SNAV Sardegna have arrived in the port. From the basic information provided by them, it would appear that the two ships will be extensively refurbished and updated together with a general overhaul prior to entering service between Civitavecchia and Palermo in the later part of March. Opinion has it that this work will be carried out by Cantieri del Mediterraneo.

Press item with PICTURE of the SNAV LAZIO in the SNAV livery:

http://www.trasportiweb.it/archivio_news/archivio_news.htm

Some other press news about the POP and POLH:

http://www.ttgitalia.com/newsletter/news_dettaglio.asp?IDNews=51976

and:

http://www.turismomagazine.com/news_page.php?news=1684

Greetings from Holland,

Robert

Also since when were they 180m in length?

...and I didn't think they could carry as many as 1,800 passengers either.

As two of the articles for which links have been supplied carry the same numbers, one must assume the data has come from a SNAV press release. The same two articles also cite 8th April as the date the twins will enter service with SNAV.

...and I didn't think they could carry as many as 1,800 passengers either.

If memory serves from reading the 'Inside Olau' book when they were built they could easily have had a higher passenger capacity - around 2000/2100 similar to the VDL. But OLAU restricted the capacity to allow greater space onboard. I will try and look the book out and confirm later.

Strange that the "Olau twins" are still referred to as that considering they were with P&O for almost twice as long as Olau.

Agreed. I think now is about the time we should be referring to them as the P&O Twins:D!

For me it is not strange that they are mentioned OLAU-twins in stead of P&O-twins. The ships where owned by OLAU/TT-line since 1989/1990 and where chartered out in "bare boat charter" to P&O. P&O has never owned the OLAU-twins; the ships where owned all the time by OLAU/TT-line till 2006. I hope you can find you in this explanation.

As Regarding the former P&O staff on the Olau ferries. I personly say they were good at their job in a way of looking after passingers. When I travel on the Pride of Cherbourg, Even though it was the former Isle of Innisfree. I enjoyed the crossing on her some 2 years ago. So its not the staff its the managment.

For me it is not strange that they are mentioned OLAU-twins in stead of P&O-twins. The ships where owned by OLAU/TT-line since 1989/1990 and where chartered out in "bare boat charter" to P&O. P&O has never owned the OLAU-twins; the ships where owned all the time by OLAU/TT-line till 2006. I hope you can find you in this explanation.

This is how I think of the Olaus.

Just mucking around a bit and I decided to convert my picture of SNAV Val de from (What would they look like?) into SNAV Lazio!:D!

There are some pics of them in Italy click here

Also SNAV Lazio and SNAV Sardegna are expected to enter service on 8th April.

Hmm. Looking at the images on "shipspotting" (the site which has the slowest backend in the world?), it doesn't seem that they've done a huge amount externally, even after nearly 6 months of having the ships.

Perhaps they've concentrated on the passenger areas? (ducks and runs)

Perhaps they've concentrated on the passenger areas? (ducks and runs)

I would say so Forbesy but they will have to start on the out side soon as they start in a months time.