Sign in to follow this  
OLAU-liefhebber

SNAV: The OLAU-twins for SNAV

Re: The OLAU-twins for SNAV

Does any one have some news about the OLAU twins and how they run at SNAV?

Next week I will travel a return trip with one of their sisters, the NILS HOLGERSSON (now KING OF SCANDINAVIA, or bether know as the VAL THE LOIRE).

Any one some news?

Best regards from Holland,

Robert

Enjoy your trip and I am of course courious for a travel-report since I think it is, as it is - you have 5 people travelling on the same ship and you have 5 different opinioms of it ! I can only recommend the trip on "King of Scandinavia" - but I am courious how it will be, after it's renovation !! Perhaps a bit more DFDS - because now it is still very muich "Val de Loire" despite they have tried to remove alot of the stuff that reminded in BF.

Robert,

From another Olau-liefhebber. I hope that you will thorougly enjoy the ship with the two names Val de Loire - King of Scandinavia. I did already twice this year. For me at least, the days of Olau have returned in a way. I will be looking forward for your travel report.

I have tried to find on websites more about our Olau twins, but I could not find anything but the most basic information.

It is now almost 'Sinterklaas', (Santa Claus), a traditional feast on December 4 and 5, when children draw up wish lists and then get presents.

My wish list for 2007 is: Sailing to and from Harwich from Hoek van Hollland on the refurbished and stretched Stena ships. When in Ireland, make a trip to Wales from Dublin or Dun Laoghaire and from Belfast to Scotland. In May during Ascension Day week: IJmuiden - Newcastle- Bergen - Newcastle - IJmuiden on the King or/and the Queen and on the Peter Pan, now the Princess of Norway. She is the last of the former TT-Saga ships I have not yet sailed on.

It is now almost 'Sinterklaas', (Santa Claus), a traditional feast on December 4 and 5, when children draw up wish lists and then get presents.

I got my albert heijn chocolate letter 'J' yesterday!...when I was at primary school I remember watching Sinterklaas sail into Sheveningen and the 'Zwarte Pieten' would throw those ginger biscuits into the crowd!...they tried to teach us the Sinterklaas songs at school too, but with varying degrees of success.

Harwich - Hoek is a must for 2007.

There are some new nice pics about the two OLAU-twins on the internet. Look here: 873247.jpg

The link is HERE

After a bad period at P&O Ferries they have now a owner who takes care for these great ships.

Best regards,

Robert

i always thought they were double deck loaders. hwever i cant see where the top deck is.. it looks huge in comparrison to say the Duc or Quib

i always thought they were double deck loaders. hwever i cant see where the top deck is.. it looks huge in comparrison to say the Duc or Quib

They were only single deck, with internal ramps.

On another (slightly sad) note, I was in Vienna Airport yesterday (there's another one ticked off the list), where the tannoy 'bongs' are the same as were on the twins. Took me a while to work out, but passed the time inbetween flights. (Still, not as bad as Phil's spotting of 'the same soap dispenser' in a pub toilet and taking a picture :P)

On another (slightly sad) note, I was in Vienna Airport yesterday (there's another one ticked off the list), where the tannoy 'bongs' are the same as were on the twins. Took me a while to work out, but passed the time inbetween flights. (Still, not as bad as Phil's spotting of 'the same soap dispenser' in a pub toilet and taking a picture :P)

It's amazing how often you hear the same "bongs" in very different places.

oh. so what bearth is LD using in LH now? because i think they have double deck linkspans, or were they there originally for other ferries?

oh. so what bearth is LD using in LH now? because i think they have double deck linkspans, or were they there originally for other ferries?

LD are using the same berth as P&O did... which is a double-deck berth, but P&O only ever used the lower ramp.

thanks for clearing that up. why is there another linkspan and marshalling lanes just to the right of the LD berth (north i think)

thanks for clearing that up. why is there another linkspan and marshalling lanes just to the right of the LD berth (north i think)

That's the old 'Super Viking' terminal for the ships prior to the Olau Twins which didn't have the capacity to hold all the traffic the Olau Twins could handle.

Also, I stand to be corrected, but didn't Irish Ferries continue there too?

LD are using the same berth as P&O did... which is a double-deck berth, but P&O only ever used the lower ramp.

P&O used to use 2 berths. The Olau's came in at the closer berth of the two and the Super Vikings at the one adjoining the BF berth. That berth was double decked when the Supervikings were jumboised. The berth was replaced later with a much more adaptable berth where upper and lower linkspans could be moved separately (I think). This was so that the lower deck could be used with fastcraft. LD use this berth.

There are some new nice pics about the two OLAU-twins on the internet. Look here: 873247.jpg

The link is HERE

Best regards,

Robert

They look slightly odd with the chimney stacks on the funnels removed - bit like a bad haircut.

After a bad period at P&O Ferries they have now a owner who takes care for these great ships.

Crew were excellent. P&O managament & board weren't. To be fair, these vessels were totally unsuitable for the passage. Lacked freight capacity, took an age to turnaround in port, had far too many cabins which were only really used 2/3 of the time. I don't understand why they couldn't have mixed the fleet around a bit.

European Ambassador/Pride of Cherbourg (III) take over Le Harve route. POP/POLH take Cherbourg or swap with POY/POB. It frustrates me how such a premier ferry line has fallen so far into decline.

The LD Lines service uses the same berth that P&O used which were originally turned into a double decker linkspan for the jumbosized Super Vikings. I've got a picture of the last P&O dep from Le Harve showing the double decker linkspan. Looking on Google Earth, there appears to only be one linkspan.

There is an excellent voyage report here on HHVFerry about a recent voyage onboard the SNAV Sardegna.

Interestingly SNAV did work to the two Olau ships earlier this year which saw the removal of the cabins on deck's 5 and 6 in order to add additional car deck capacity.

Interestingly SNAV did work to the two Olau ships earlier this year which saw the removal of the cabins on deck's 5 and 6 in order to add additional car deck capacity.

Stena did the same with the Stena Baltica (ex Koningin Beatrix) to make it double deck drive through. With the new superferries on their way, she could be UK bound next year as would love to see what they have done to her.

Agreed. I think now is about the time we should be referring to them as the P&O Twins:D!

P&O twins? There would be a few contenders that will fit this title. e.g. Pride of Dover/Calais, Pride of Winchetser / Cherbourg.

P&O have had a few twins built for them over the years.

As some people have already said, I too, would always call these ships the Olau Twins, but were the two before also called the Olau Twins?

P&O twins? There would be a few contenders that will fit this title. e.g. Pride of Dover/Calais, Pride of Winchetser / Cherbourg.

P&O have had a few twins built for them over the years.

As some people have already said, I too, would always call these ships the Olau Twins, but were the two before also called the Olau Twins?

Lego twins?

Lego twins?

Isn't there a model made from Lego of one of the Olau twinsw at either Legoland Denmark or Windsor?