Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy

£2.5 Million Seized @ Plymouth

Customs officers at Plymouth Ferryport in Devon have seized cigarettes worth more than £2.5m hidden in a lorry.

The duty evaded on the cigarettes, hidden among timber on 22 pallets, is about £400,000.. Documents on the Prince brand cigarettes gave delivery details to a false address in Birmingham. A 41-year-old Portuguese lorry driver, who had travelled from Santander in Spain, was arrested by customs officers before being released on bail.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/4764699.stm

Re: £2.5 Million Seized @ Plymouth

How do you smoke £2.5 million of cigarettes? lol

Not very clever, but they got a good deal, evading £400,000 of tax.

You don't hear about incidents like these much.

Eddie

How do you smoke £2.5 million of cigarettes? lol

Dunno, but if you're a twenty-a-day man, it'd take over 1300 years.

M :)

When you hiring the lorry then Matt? :D!

I told that driver to be careful going through customs... still, I suppose that if you want a job doing properly..... ;)

M

He was caught smuggling them and trying to evade the duty.

Sounds like Guernsey in December. I went on 2 day trips to Jersey last December and both times everyone was getting stopped by customs and having to write out cheques/hand over cash for duty not paid on the excess amount of items bought from the onboard shop. With Condor you can only buy a certain amount stated on your boarding card but when people start to trade/buy other people's boarding cards things like this happen.

When I saw the heading on this thread I initially assumed that it was a BFE member's voyage beer money....

When I saw the heading on this thread I initially assumed that it was a BFE member's voyage beer money....
Nah. We'd need at least twice that amount ... ;)

That would be sensible but not "European" who would we have to argue with if everything was the same???

Indeed, that would require joined-up thinking by and agreement between politicians and bureaucrats...and you know you cannot possibly expect that! :P :p :P :p

If we can't even get our act together over knowing how many illegal immigrants are in the UK how can 25 countries agree on anything?

You have to wonder about the effectiveness of the mobile customs squads being used at the moment. These headlines give a good impression and show they are working, but given they are not always at certain places at certain times, one has to wonder how much else is slipping through.

Incidentally, the Times ran an article about a month ago labelling the South West as the Wild West due to the amount of smuggling and the like going on.

the Times ran an article about a month ago labelling the South West as the Wild West due to the amount of smuggling and the like going on.[/Quote]

Is not that part of History anyway !!!!

Smuggling only happens when taxes are set too high: If it's worth someone's bother to pay duty in another country, pay for transit and take a huge risk about getting caught, surely that suggests that our beloved Gordon is just helping himself to a disproportionately large amount of people's hard-earned cash, as ever ;)

Intresting I was on that ferries and wondered why customs took so long!

Smuggling only happens when taxes are set too high: If it's worth someone's bother to pay duty in another country, pay for transit and take a huge risk about getting caught, surely that suggests that our beloved Gordon is just helping himself to a disproportionately large amount of people's hard-earned cash, as ever ;)
I think that's a very insightful way of looking at it. On the other hand, the tactics of "tax them to reduce usage" are used by Gordon in everything, alcohol, cigarettes, petrol and soon road usage. The argument that it is for luxury items soon wears off when you realise you can't afford to drive to work. Either way, the above just goes to prove it is an ineffective method anyway.

Not being able to drive to work is hitting home in the West Country now, the Rac and AA now confirm that the highest average fuel price in the UK is now in the West Country and apparently, according to this "fantastic" government we have at the moment Devon and Cornwall have the highest "average" house price outside of the South East and some of the lowest paid go figure.

Surely you must know by now that the south west always loses out in one way or another!

Having lived here for all but 5 years of my extended life Seb yes I know all too well!

Although a recent poll apparently stated that the middle classes living in the home counties are the most unhappy, stressed and tired people in the country. The same poll indicated that those living in the South West are the most happy.

I quote from a BBC Radio 2 broadcast.