Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy

£2.5 Million Seized @ Plymouth

Re: £2.5 Million Seized @ Plymouth

The problem with the South West though is that public transport is hit and miss, meaning in many cases it is impossible to travel to work on, and due to there being many small far flung villiages it can be very hard, if not impossible to find someone to car share with etc.

The powers to be assume a scheme that can work in the major centres of population can and will work in rural areas, and it simply won't.

The problem with the South West though is that public transport is hit and miss, meaning in many cases it is impossible to travel to work on, and due to there being many small far flung villiages it can be very hard, if not impossible to find someone to car share with etc.

The powers to be assume a scheme that can work in the major centres of population can and will work in rural areas, and it simply won't.

That's actually echoed in the SE would you believe. Commuters tend to live in villages, or even outside of villages, so the bus and train options are nil. Then there's the fact that "connecting" from Commuters House to Work would take about 15 changes, 4 hours... and that's assuming it was all working on time. Then they probably wouldn't get a seat.

Apparently, the people of London are happier than those in the home counties because they do have good connections and they live near work anyway.

That's actually echoed in the SE would you believe. Commuters tend to live in villages, or even outside of villages, so the bus and train options are nil. Then there's the fact that "connecting" from Commuters House to Work would take about 15 changes, 4 hours... and that's assuming it was all working on time. Then they probably wouldn't get a seat.

Apparently, the people of London are happier than those in the home counties because they do have good connections and they live near work anyway.

But then this government think we all live in London anyway!

The idea is to drive car drivers onto public transport. In the case of buses it frequently doesn't exist. The trains always seem to be full because the train operators don't own but rent their rolling stock so have an incentive to run 4 car rather than 8 car trains. This means that if I want to travel by train from Guildford, Surrey to london I have to stand all the way. So I drive to Surbiton and get a train from there. Joined up transport policy ? B*****s!

I live just outside of Plymouth with a perfectly good railway station about 500m from my house, it is also used as a "park and train" for Plymouth, unfortunately the first train is after 9am and the last just before 4pm!

I can't comment on the Plymouth service as that is First Great Western.

However I (and my colleagues) have rarely had to adjust the SouthWestTrains CIS system to advertise 5 cars instead of 10 cars on morning rush hour trains between Portsmouth/Haslemere - Waterloo so I presume Siemens are doing OK on the train front.