Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jim

Potential England <> Wales Ferry Services

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/devon/5030904.stm

Taken from the BBC - it seems that there are plans for an Ilfracombe <> Swansea and Minehead <> Barry service sometime in the future.

Bearing in mind that there's already the Severn Bridge and that I'd guess you can drive Minehead to Barry in just over an hour anyway it all seems a little strange.

Discuss!

Re: Potential England <> Wales Ferry Services

Taken from the BBC - it seems that there are plans for an Ilfracombe <> Swansea and Minehead <> Barry service sometime in the future.

Bearing in mind that there's already the Severn Bridge and that I'd guess you can drive Minehead to Barry in just over an hour anyway it all seems a little strange.

Discuss!

If you are reliant on public transport, then those journeys would take forever, involving multiple train and bus journeys, so these proposals may help some people. Whether the market is sufficient to sustain such an operation is an entirely different matter...

Cheers

M.

That's true Matt, but as the article says this is the first service proposed to take cars in addition to passengers. I guess that's more what I'm questioning - believe me, I know what the public transport down that part of the world is like!

Personaly I am surprised that these suggestions have not emerged before as I'd always felt there might be a market for something out of Swansea to the Devon coast maybe as a land-bridge to Spain. Candidly I don't suppose it will happen as the problem is the lack of robust infrastructure especially from Ilfracombe though at least Minehead has a railway station - the fact is that the trunk road planers have always used an east west axis in the area. In terms of time Jim's probably right given the second Severn crossing and one wonders just what public transport 'services' passengers would find fetching up here.

(Some examples. A few weeks ago I was faced with the possible need to get to Launceston - not a small place - from Portsmouth by public transport. There was chance the car might not be available. It was a farce as there were simply no reasonable connections with local train services and one solution (seven hours) involved going up to Victoria Coach Station first! I was astonished to find you could travel from Exeter but only via Bude! A footpax arriving at Ilfracombe wanting to get to Plymouth would be faced with a four hour jaunt via Barnstaple and Exeter St Davids which they could praobaly have reached more conveniently by train from virtually anywhere anyway!)

I don't have the reports to hand but I have been looking at this one for a week or two on FONE and there seemed to be a suggestion it would save a lot of driving time.

Can't find the reports and right now don't have access to FONE to check .

Gary

OK, just been playing with Autoroute, and it gives the following;

Ilfracombe - Swansea. 175 miles, 2h40mins driving time (29 miles by sea)

Minehead - Barry. 105 miles, 1h52mins driving time (15 miles by sea)

The Ilfracombe-Swansea route is only a few miles longer than Dover-Calais, so let's assume that will take around 1¾ hours by ship, saving roughly an hour over driving. Minehead to Barry is a little longer that Southampton-Cowes, so perhaps assume about 1h10mins - not so much of a saving.

In my humble opinion, I think that the Swansea route might stand a chance, but I'm still just not sure about whether there's enough traffic to warrant such a service; I wouldn't think that there are any residents of Swansea who commute on a daily basis to Ilfracombe!

Best of luck to them if they do try to get such a service off the ground, but I'd advise them to do their homework first ......

Cheers

M.

Discuss!

Considering it takes nearly 45 minutes to drive from the M5 to Minehead, I would have thought it takes over 2 hours to get to Barry at least. But still it does seem the more pointless of the two routes.

Sorry about this but I've been away from that area for a long time but wouldn't there be real problem with tidal constraints on both routes? I seem to remember reading that, in the days of the steamers, the timetables which covered these routes varied almost daily because of the wide variation in tide times and heights. I understand it can be pretty rough in the Bristol Channel too - it could be lively even on the old Aust ferry at times! Yes I am that old.

Thats a very good point there Millsy, the Bristol Channel sees some very strong tides indeed, how exactly they affect the ports I don't know, but without a doubt they will be a major factor that will need to be considered.

Personally, and sadly, I don't think it will work. The cost of the crossing would have to be very low in order to entice people onboard instead of driving, and as far as business travel goes, I can see driving all the way being cheaper than using the Ferry for part of it. Also, there is very limited onboard spend potential for the Company, seeing as duty paid goods would not be available for sail onboard.

The idea of an all-year ferry service on the Swansea - Ilfracombe route has been mooted from time to time over the last 30 years or so but never gets very far. Although Swansea has the infrastructure, Ilfracombe hasn't, and I doubt if there is sufficient traffic to justify the route. Anyone travelling to Devon from London, the Midlands or the North would use the M4 or M5 so the only traffic wanting to use this route would be locals. Yes, it would be really handy if I lived in West Wales and wanted to travel to Devon or Cornwall but could enough traffic be generated? Remember also how exposed this route is with a broadside sea running from the south west. Balmoral rolls spectacularly on her channel crossings. But if anyone wants to start up a route I'll try it out - once.

Considering it takes nearly 45 minutes to drive from the M5 to Minehead, I would have thought it takes over 2 hours to get to Barry at least. But still it does seem the more pointless of the two routes.

True - was basing my guesstimate on time from the M5.

Re: fastcats may go to ilfracombe after they are withdrawn

This scheme was first mooted in 2006 as a car carrying route and discussedhere then with some doubts about viability. Quite what footpax would want to use this route and how they would make onward journeys to anywhere from Ilfracombe by public transport is beyond me.