Favourite Livery

Kaz

Yes it was a smart one that livery. Needed a decent funnel to show it at its best though and I thought the likes of England and Winston Churchill weren't able to have Maltese Crosses that were quite big enough.

Generally it is always liveries based on white hulls that look the best. Or sometimes black, like the old IOMSP livery. No garish hull colours. So the post-1985 DFDS livery wasn't bad either. Dragon and Leopard were smart in their original white hulls. The things that spoil liveries are garish hull colours and website addresses on the sides of the hill.

And of course it follows from the above that all BF liveries have been smart from the very start. In essence it is still a variation on the same theme that they started with now. Difficult to choose one incarnation of it over another as the best.

I preferred BF's older look, the "Z" stripe although I can't remember if they all had it?

I quite like GNV's new corporate look, I also like BF's blue decks. When clean Bretagne's fo'c'sle looks stunning.

I'm more of a single hull colour man rather than the Moby madness... The Viking, Color, Fjord Line styles. The old North Sea ferry look which was in some way's similar to Truckline.

I do like the white hulls too although the begin to look shabby far sooner than say a dark blue.

I preferred BF's older look, the "Z" stripe although I can't remember if they all had it?

I quite like GNV's new corporate look, I also like BF's blue decks. When clean Bretagne's fo'c'sle looks stunning.

I'm more of a single hull colour man rather than the Moby madness... The Viking, Color, Fjord Line styles. The old North Sea ferry look which was in some way's similar to Truckline.

I do like the white hulls too although the begin to look shabby far sooner than say a dark blue.

The Brittany Ferries logo and font was amended slightly for the launch of the Pont Aven in 2004. This was gradually applied to all vessels over the next couple of years, but not to ones that were to leave the fleet - for example Val de Loire never had the new logo and typeface applied to her and she left in 2006.

The Z stripe applied only to Bretagne, The Vals stripes were both slightly raised and lowered around the lettering, the striping on Normandie 'dropped' from the left, whilst from what a recall Quiberon, Duc D N, Duchesse Anne and Barfleur had standard stripes which wrapped around the vessel, however I do recall Barfleurs original striping did not wrap around the back.in my op

Barfelur, Normandie and Mont St Michael also had individual blue paint schemes which were removed. Please also note the switch of colours of the company theme from orange and blue to red and blue in the late 90's.

I have said many times if you look at photos of the vessels from the 90's they look much better than they do now in terms of paint schemes.

In my opinion, the new livery suits the more recent additions to the fleet. Never liked MSM in the old livery. Her present livery with the correct application is the best she has looked.

However, I really liked the original livery on the Bretagne, Normandie, and Val as well as the 1999-2009 Barfleur livery. Nowadays, Normandie doesn't look bad, quite smart tbf, and the Bretagne is still looking smart. Barfleur not so much, especially when the removed the blue 'trapezium' on Deck 6.

It is a shame they have shortened the stripes, however I don't think the newer ships would have suited it. What does irritate me however is the removal of funnel stripes. I hope they don't abandon stripes altogether as they are smart and it makes BF unique.

Finally, in terms of other companies, I like the new DFDS livery, very smart. I also liked the P&O Portsmouth livery.

I've always found the BF livery nice enough if a tad conservative , as for other companies I like Calmac never seems to change much at all and suits the new ships really well Loch Seaforth looks fair braw in it.

• 4 years later...

Just reading through this thread as I have seen a few photos of some of the vessels in the current fleet in the 90’s/early 00’s livery - the vessels looked so much better with that logo/ fontage and unique striking and paint  schemes. The new livery and logo/fontage still irks me, the fleet look just bland and characterless. I just can’t accept it.

Just look at photos of Bretagne from the 90’s and you will know exactly what I mean.

• Like 2

Shame why BF done the fleet all in one livery it just doesn't work in my opinion.

But it's cheaper to maintain paint etc so suits the BF experience of today I guess!! In there eyes Less is more! 

Even the handrails are left today no staining or varnishing!! The 90's was the best for BF for everything shame those days are gone. 

1 hour ago, ross brown said:

Shame why BF done the fleet all in one livery it just doesn't work in my opinion.

But it's cheaper to maintain paint etc so suits the BF experience of today I guess!! In there eyes Less is more! 

Even the handrails are left today no staining or varnishing!! The 90's was the best for BF for everything shame those days are gone. 

I agree with you. Sometimes people say the past looks better with rose-tinted glasses but just looking at photos of some of the current fleet in the 90’s and compete by them today is so depressing. I stand by what I say the new livery and paint scheme application is one of the worst things BF Have done in recent years, especially when it was how BF vessels looked that got me into them in the first place.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ross brown said:

Was that meant to say something different from what it actually does?

The whole point of a livery is that it conforms the fleet to a uniformly identifiable brand.  How many ferry companies apply different liveries to different ships?

I get (and agree with) the observations of how the current livery compares with previous ones, but don’t get the suggestion that the livery should be different for different ships.

I liked the old P&O livery of blue hull and white superstructure. The Olau's and PoB looked classy back in the '90's. White just makes them look shabby after about a week back at sea although I'm pleased BF have kept the thick royal blue boot stripe and the maintained wavy LD boot stripe on Etretat seems to soften her blandness.

I can understand why the older ferries on longer routes maintained a white hull, consider @Nick Hydeand his love of Tor Britannia, she has cruise ship lines and looks very stylish. The modern Ropax look so different.

The Blue hull and gold line along the gunnels of Color Magic and Fantasy looks elegant.

Fan of I.F's idea of maintaining the blue hull on Oscar Wilde & Blue Star 1 with the green funnel twist too.

Just a big fan of colour really but not in a chaotic DC or Looney Tunes kind of way.

• Like 1

I think the current livery is good. Like the P&O one too. The current livery looks modern, it suits Bretagne very well, disguising her age and dumpy nature

As a kid, I loved the Color Line (navy blue) and Scandinavian Seaways diagonal blue stripes but the ferries I drew were always in Townsend Thoresen colours.

1 hour ago, colinschandler said:

Same Ship - Different livery. Spot the difference!

300px-Moby_Corse_01.jpg.5421b629d37fb330efabdbe26a02d457.jpg1471789358.jpg.a33e3e0232edd6d3a55c8061a2af3b16.jpg

Good example, Moby (like a lot of owners) use the funnel to show a logo that complements and does not repeat elements on the side of the ship. BF like to repeat the logo on the sides as well as the funnel and this can look strange on some ships. The BF partial blue line at the bottom  always looks strange to me as well.

Greek company Hellenic Seaways have a livery / branding which is both contemporary and classy.

The new BF livery is growing on me but I still think removing the front stripes on the Bretagne added about 20 years to her overnight.

1 hour ago, Ryan_H said:

I like the current DFDS livery actually, apart from them ditching the Maltese cross. I think it suits both freight & passenger vessels equally well. 

Indeed. With @Le Quiberon liking of Viking (I know!) and @Gareth favouring TT there seems to be something more eye catching and possibly memorable with the colour contrasts?

On 31/03/2021 at 08:04, Gareth said:

Was that meant to say something different from what it actually does?

The whole point of a livery is that it conforms the fleet to a uniformly identifiable brand.  How many ferry companies apply different liveries to different ships?

I get (and agree with) the observations of how the current livery compares with previous ones, but don’t get the suggestion that the livery should be different for different ships.

I meant how the vessels all had their own signature on the livery, yes of course the main part of the livery was the same it's just they all had something a little different with lines and stripes which made every vessel have their own unique identity. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 16/05/2021 at 02:52, Manannan said:

Isle Of Man Steam Packet Company. A classic, modernised tastefully. It's perfection. 

Shame they’ve got no decent ships to put it on! 😁

• Haha 1