Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Yann Ferries

Excellent site on Cunard

Re:Excellent site on Cunard

Here news concerning Queen Victoria:

Press reports on Merseyside reveal that Carnival will not be naming the QUEEN VICTORIA at Liverpool Landing Stage in 2005.

The reason given is the lack of progress in providing an extension to the Landing Stage.

Work should have begun this spring, but is now unlikely to start until Autumn at the earliest.

Delays in granting a harbour revision order is apparently the reason why it has not been possible to proceed with construction on schedule.

*Liverpool Echo Article Follows:

I name this ship Not in Liverpool Mar 12 2004:

By Thomas Martin Echo Reporter:

LIVERPOOL has lost the chance to host the naming ceremony of the country's next luxury liner.

Cruise company Cunard is taking the Queen Victoria elsewhere because the city's new £10.5m liner terminal will not be finished in time.

Work on the terminal was expected to start next month and the Pier Head landing stage was to be finished by April 2005, when the £265m Queen Victoria is due to be named.

But Liverpool chief executive David Henshaw said the project is six months behind schedule.

He blames the delay on the Department of Trade and Industry, which is examining the project on competition grounds. He also said there had been a delay of several months by the Department of Transport in granting a harbour revision order .

Cunard president Pam Conover said : "I personally was looking forward very much to the naming ceremony being in Liverpool - Cunard's spiritual home.

"The development of the new cruise liner facility is not

sufficiently advanced for me to commit the money, time and expertise which I now need to commit."

One source close to Cunard added: "They find it hard to

understand why there has been so little progress on what is a pretty simple engineering project."

Cunard has pledged further calls to the city by liners like the QE2 and Queen Mary 2 when the terminal is finished.