Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

iledebrehat

14,3% less travellers on Plymouth Roscoff

Re: 14,3% less travellers on Plymouth Roscoff

another big issue in the fall could be that the capacity of the pont l'abbe is 1120 passengers and 470 cars, compare that to Bretagne's capacity of 2056 passengers with 580 cars,

pont l'abbe capacity is only 54 % of that of Bretagne, even Bretagne travelling at 50% capacity would nearly fill the pont l'abbe,

whenever i travelled the route on bretagne it was always near capacity, admittedly this was school holidays, but Pont L'abbe would need 2 trips o accomodate that many people which BF have not upped the frequency,

the popularity of the pont l'abbe can even be seen in the company, they still call Barfleur THEIR smallest ship on their website despite the PLA being quite a bit smaller.

First posting after a long absence - I have been travelling between Cornwall and France on a regular basis since Christmas, sometimes to Paris, but mostly to St Brieuc or Brest.

I have chosen to fly from Exeter for two reasons - travel time, and avoiding the PLA. Or often I cannot get a sailing that gets me there and back within a couple of days.

I also have had a couple of trips to Ireland, again flying, because I could not spend the time using ferries.

That said, I have paid for our June holiday today, Plymouth Roscoff on PLA, then down to the Auvergne.

It used to be that we looked forward to the ferry trip as the start of our motoring holiday in France, but since the last two trips on PLA that really isn't the case anymore. Sadly I am not surprised in the downturn in Ferry use, especially after our quote for the PA to Santander, where we really can fly drive for a lot less.

I submit that the PLA lease qas a big mistake, and I would rather have continued with Quiberon as an alternative

I submit that the PLA lease qas a big mistake, and I would rather have continued with Quiberon as an alternative

I agree... but the Quib was sold as the Mont entered service, and the sale of the Val was only a nightmare back then, so as usual ... hignsight is a wonderful thing :)

Sorry but i still find it absurd that people could cite this particular vessel as the primary reason for not using the route. If she really were not up to standard or was perceived by BF management to be hemorrhaging passengers then surely they would not continue with her charter?

As far as i can tell there is basically nothing wrong with her other than the fact that she is getting on a bit and, as a result, certain travellers have chosen to turn their noses up at her.

Sorry but i still find it absurd that people could cite this particular vessel as the primary reason for not using the route. If she really were not up to standard or was perceived by BF management to be hemorrhaging passengers then surely they would not continue with her charter?

As far as i can tell there is basically nothing wrong with her other than the fact that she is getting on a bit and, as a result, certain travellers have chosen to turn their noses up at her.

I have to agree with you there Ryan. I honestly think the majority of the paying public don't care as long as the ship gets them from a to b, they can have a meal, drink etc.

It is only us enthusiasts who analyze ships like this.

Regards,

Jon

The argument that passengers don't care about a ship is true within reason -what we must remember though is that BF have tried to raise the bar in terms of product perception .To offer something which on its own might be acceptable but when compared to the usual product is less so is just asking to annoy your customers.

That said - the reasons for the decline of the Roscoff route aren't clear - without extensive passenger surveys we can't say for certain.

arent a large majority of sailings, overnighters, arriving early next morning having left plymouth at 2300, in that case who cares what ship your on as a majority of passengers will just be asleep, the main issue as i said befor is the pla is half the size of previous ships on the route, 60% full on bretagne is 50 more passengers than pla can carry at full capacity, add that to the non availability of reclining seats, overnighters are stuck with a cabin, which aint cheap, it'd surely be cheaper to drive the extra distance in petrol and get a recliner on a poole/portsmouth route, than to have to pay for a cabin on the plym-roscoff, for me from falmouth, its cheaper to travel extra distances to portsmouth for a recliner, than a cabin from plymouth.

arent a large majority of sailings, overnighters, arriving early next morning having left plymouth at 2300, in that case who cares what ship your on as a majority of passengers will just be asleep, the main issue as i said befor is the pla is half the size of previous ships on the route, 60% full on bretagne is 50 more passengers than pla can carry at full capacity, add that to the non availability of reclining seats, overnighters are stuck with a cabin, which aint cheap, it'd surely be cheaper to drive the extra distance in petrol and get a recliner on a poole/portsmouth route, than to have to pay for a cabin on the plym-roscoff, for me from falmouth, its cheaper to travel extra distances to portsmouth for a recliner, than a cabin from plymouth.

Well isn't that still the ship then?

I don't really think there is any point going over the same tired arguments but Matts has in the past posted figures which showed that the PONT L'ABBE was sailing far from full. Therefore her being smaller than the BRETAGNE is a non-issue

As I said earlier I suspect there are quite complex arguments why traffic has declined but anybody who says the ship is nothing to do with it is surely mistaken. Part of the reason people are willing to pay BF's prices is for the quality of product - if the quality is reduced then naturally people will be less willing to pay it.

I think we will be going round and round in circles until the arrival of Armorique ! From what BF have released, they do have some 'new catering offering' designed into the ship. If they are going to go for a more basic style of ship perhaps we will have an idea as to how BF see the future of the route going. The comparable duration of the Caen route suggests that the market is there for a better product though there is perhaps a larger market to exploit in terms of population, as well as competition a little closer. Plymouth has certainly been spoilt with Pont Aven and Bretagne. Even Quiberon was fairly good for her time but they had many years to maintain, improve and keep her in good condition.

Low cost airlines, lack of tourism promotional investment, nasty ship, lack of low cost offers.......lots of reasons, no clear winner ! Maybe BF aren't pushing the route for passengers until they get the new ship. I have mentioned before that they may be happy to leave the cars off and start to push the freight space ready for Armorique. One thing I think we can say about BF is that they are not going to invest in a new ship unless they think they can make profit from it. This will be the first time that the route has had a decent amount of freight space that would not be dramatically cut during peak seasons.

The argument that passengers don't care about a ship is true within reason -what we must remember though is that BF have tried to raise the bar in terms of product perception .To offer something which on its own might be acceptable but when compared to the usual product is less so is just asking to annoy your customers.

Yes but what a lot of companies who should know better don't seem to realsie is that prospects can communicate very quickly with each other and their chatter is available to all.

Take the PLA. If you simply put pont l'abbe into Google the second hit is thiswhich is fair enough as far as it goes until you scroll down and find a link direct to Jim's rather less then fullsome voyage report from early last year and the rest of the fifteen pages of that thread most of which are, constructivley critical while attempting to look at it from BF's point of view.

Then you go on to scan some of the various forums....

Now I don't know if this has anything to do with the drop in passengers but there must be something cauysing a reduction that is far from simply marginal. Certainly I wouldn't blame it all on the vessel but if you came across a comment like this or the last commenthere you might think twice!

ummm.... my two penneth

have only travelled twice on P l'A (return trip last August) but she was nothing like as bad as I had feared. In terms of accomodation the cabins are a bit tired but significantly more spacious than other BF vessels we have used (once you work out where your cabin is), I don't recall more noise through the walls than Quib or Barfleur on which we have overnighted. That Admiral bar is however hideous but I ma told by a frequent traveller that it is now prpoerly no smoking on board which can only help. The Skybar was better than early pictures suggested

In general I would say no worse than Quib and definitely better than the Duc

Said friends cannot understand why I take any interest in ferries as they are just (as said above) a means of getting from A to B. My sister for example will arrive in France and not even have known whether she was on Normandie or MSM. Both more typical of 'normal' travellers than us on this Board I'd guess

Yes we have been spoiled by Pont Aven and (for one season recently) Bretagne, but my guess would be the decline is more reflecting better air travel from Exeter etc. and less the tonnage BF have on the crossing

We will of course see in 18 months' time

The point my comment was suppose to make was that I would rather sail on the Quiberon than the PLA. That was it... and looking back at it, knowing what they know now might bf have kept the Quib? who knows...