Poole Shipping

quincy

Just an enquire.In the local paper was a photograph of a cruise liner docked in Poole quay the MV Vistamar,i missed the chance to photograph it because

i didnt know it was due.An e-mail to the Poole Harbour Commissioners if they gave out shipping movements,the answer NO for security reasons.My question is,is there any other way of finding out the shipping movements of

Poole.:

Re: Poole Shipping

Strikes me as interesting they don't for 'security reasons' as the Portsmouth shipping movements are published in the local paper each day.... is it me or is that becoming the default answer these days.

Ships Monthly publish all cruise ship movements a month in advance for Southampton and other ports. And if you have the brochures you can pick them up anyway - otherwise the passengers would have a few problems in getting on board! At Poole, all ferry movements are scheduled so I can't see what possible harm could be caused by confirming other shipping movements.

Not sure if it is still the case but the local paper, the Evening Echo, used to have shipping movements (excluding ferries) listed. Can't recall if it was historical or planned movements though.

Sounds like a very odd response from Poole port - and as Jim says, 'security reasons' seems to be used for anything these days.

Other ports publish their cruise ship visit schedule, including Southampon here. In fact, as Poole is part of the 'Destination South West' cruise group its schedules should be published here too.

Passenger ship schedules are available years in advance, through the company websites, brochures etc - if their movements were not available there would be no passengers as people want to know where they are going!

Perhaps they won't even tell you when the Barfleur is due in!?

I always consult the Ships Monthly listings and up to a few years ago any Poole cruise visits were listed, but recently they have not although to be fair lately Poole has only had one cruise ship a year, and this was usually Hebridean Spirit. I don't get the Echo, but as Craig says they normally list shipping movements every Friday, excluding ferries and their schedules can be obtained online or in the ferry brochures.

It would be nice if PHC published a full list as other ports do, as many local people would be interested.

Vistamar arrived early am on Thursday and sailed around 4pm - I got a photo of her passing The Haven heading out to sea. Another interesting visitor locally is p.s. Waverley - currently sailing from Bournemouth pier (photo taken on Tuesday).

Until fairly recently the likes of Waverley, Shieldhall and Balmoral used to call at Poole quite regularly so I wonder why this has stopped? Balmoral did in fact come in during June but only at short notice because of the bad weather.

edit: found this website for shipping movements, but Poole isn't listed!

http://www.portarrivals.com/

Archived