Beware

quincy

I was in the market for a compact camera,looked on the internet to buy a Canon g-9.A great price from bestprisedbrands who promised just about every thing .Ordered on the 1st jan still waiting, no replys to my e-mails have since found out that,its a USA company with a very bad reputation.

Paid by credit card so i hope that i am covered,my fault should have checked.So dont have anything to do with this web-site.*-)*-)*-)

Re: Beware

Check in the terms and conditions for delivery dates/duration. Give it until Tuesday (when they will have had two weeks) and then send an ultimatum, demanding for the item to be sent within, say, 5 working days or for an immediate refund. Inform them that you will be contacting your credit card company after that time, citing theft.

Then, tell your credit card company. They will lead you through what to do, and likely refund you instantly and then fight the problem themselves. The reason is that, with credit cards, it is your lender's money that has been spent/stolen, not your own.

Please also be aware that camera manufacturers will often - quite illegally - not honour warranties on goods bought across borders outside their own dealer network as well as grey market import lines worked by some outlets over here. If you are not certain about the status of the stock -ask!

I nearly brought a camera from bestpricedbrands just before christmas but was suspicious of the company because of the very poor web site design. When I Googled the company there were too many complaints to read them all.

Have just spent a few minutes looking at you're right G4rth! Yet despite the mountains of criticism Google are still accepting it as a sponsored link I note.

It's also interesting that there's bestpricedbrands.com and bestpricedbrands.co.uk - both are near enough identical but priced in Dollars and Pounds repectively. The 'About Us' information is also pretty limited saying that both are based near the 'FedEx hub' - which doesn't really exist in the UK. The address for owning the domain for both is registered to Pasadena California in what looks to be just a rented office.

Interestingly though, the payment seems to only be accepted by PayPal rather than direct to the company, so I suspect you may have to take up any issues with PayPal instead of/in addition to your credit card company

When it comes to online shopping, the only thing I can suggest is to stick with brands you know, or have had recommended :(

Its' worth also remembering that the days of really deep discounting on-line seem to be over at least compared with the halcyon early days of Amazon.

The fact is that though there isn't a cartel running manufacturers are doing their best to ensure that web prices aren't too far out of line with their high street dealer network. Back in 2005 I was looking into the issue of price fixing for a customer and wrote in an article:

"Yet, funnily enough, this seems to be happening elsewhere with claims leading electronic manufacturers are discriminating against e-retailers by charging high street outlets less for products.

Sony quickly denied this: “Sony offers a common basic selling price to all resellers. This price is then affected by different types of discounts. The company has a scheme that provides discounts for resellers that invest in building the brand.”

Justification? High street staff can demonstrate the products, offer professional support, sort out after sales service (cont. page 94). In fact all the tired old clichés for price support trotted out by the dealer cartels of the 1960s. Yet this is apparently all fine and dandy under EU law."

So at least in the case of consumer electricals my advice would be if the price seems unbelievable it probably is.

HOWEVER the very same firms are quite willing to sell overstocks and end of range into any market at knock down prices and that is where the real bargains are to be had. It's always worthwhile keeping a weather eye on the like of Argos, Novatech and Morgan Computers for models that have just been superseded.

Finally it's always worth trying to see what discount you can get for cash at any high street shop.

Good advice there, Morgan Computers have been around for years but do have the odd bargain.

I'd recommend hotukdeals.com - an awesome website where the general public post details of special offers or vouchers they've come across (not just electronics but pretty much everything).

Last week I bought a camera from John Lewis after reading a post on there, saving myself £80 off the Jessop's asking price.

The only danger is that with all the deals on there, you have to exercise restraint when you reach for your wallet!

Dan.

Many thanks to all who answered my post.With a lot of luck i will come out the winner who knows,have learnt a few lessons and will be careful in future.Thanks again,will keep you informed of the outcome.:D!*-)

I'd recommend hotukdeals.com...

The only danger is that with all the deals on there, you have to exercise restraint when you reach for your wallet!

... says the man who just got talked into buying plane tickets after a link was spotted on that site :) Then again, he wasn't the only one...

Wahey - it arrived, that's good news :) I've tried having a quick look for an English manual online, but Canon's website is pretty useless for this. If you give them a ring though they should either be able to send one out or even better email it.

Archived