Sign in to follow this  
Bill

EUROFERRIES: Ramsgate to Boulogne

Re: EUROFERRIES: Ramsgate to Boulogne

To be taking peoples money when there was no hope of the service starting and messing up the publics travel plans is very poor on their part. They have had months to get the ports ready, even if the vessel turned up tomorow by the time the MCA have finished with them the start date will be mid December!

Hi,

Could one of our marine experts tell me if the vessel would meet the regulations regarding water tight doors, as it seems only to have curtains at the rear. I have added a link to a good picture of the rear of the vessel

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_UauoQ6hHTz8/Svab04wIljI/AAAAAAAAB9U/_c5N-byDzI8/s1600-h/03bnz.jpg

It looks like they have added the side of 40ft road trailer across the rear.

This craft does not require watertight doors. The loadline deck, watertight deck is below the vehcile deck. The craft is a Car ferry B which means and open roro deck. There are various rules for the opening sizes. The curtains are there purely as protection from salt spray which tesds to votrex behing the craft and sweep over parked cars on the aft deck. I do believe this craft has already met Stockholm rules for angle of heel with additional water on the vehicle deck, it she hasn't she will have to be able to demonstrate she complies for MCA.

On this type of vessel all the watertight compartments are in the two hulls, the car deck area does not need to be watertight for any stability reasons. The vessel can operate in any sea state which she is certified for by the relevant authorities, in UK waters this is usually 3.5metre sea state.

Peter 1

Well i think i deserve 8 out of 10 !(H)

For blatant cheek - I've added you reputation ;)

Don't get too excited Peter 1 - I set a course towards greatness some time ago and I'm still becalmed (L)

PHIL

:D now im on the ten posts wont have to do the captcha, great site and very friendly, so far !(L)

I think that's a tribute to everyone here! The captcha and delayed posting is a bit frustrating, but it keeps the SPAM out (unless anyone actually wants little blue pills)

Peter, you are right on the current 3.5m SWH issue to. In the UK only the Stena HSS craft have been granted 4m SWH after an actual formal MCA, at sea test, in 4m.

Interesting pictures here

http://thanetstrife.blogspot.com/2009/11/euroferries-latest-news-gossip.html

Showing the ramp on the French side being modified for the Express. It seems that Boulogne are getting ready for her.

I can not see why they are removing the fingers as in other ports they just use the fingers they need. Am I missing something?

Could depend on whether the fingers can be independently operated etc... as it looks on the photos they operate in groups of 3/4 so it's you'd need to remove some in order to not damage fixings on the deck (I think?)

So long as they kept the ones they took off so that they can put them back next week...

Starting 26th.....probably be delayed to December 25th and then by 27th they will close it down as no one using it.

I remember reading this in the past, if you carry out a company search using the EUROFERRIES name you will see there are Four companies with the name in one form or another.

Two are disolved and Two are still up and running, I guess that the two disolved are from that period and the latest ones are the current companies. They are all based at the same address.!

This is in the public domain for instance here: http://www.ukdata.com/creditreports/companySearch.form?page=1

EUROFERRIES HOLDINGS LIMITED-Disolved

EUROFERRIES SHIPPING LIMITED-Disolved

EUROFERRIES EXPRESS LIMITED-Incorporation Date:27-02-2009

EUROFERRIES LIMITED-Last Accounts Filed up to:31-01-2009

I think that some of the claims that have been posted on other sites were based upon this information.

It seems like the 'hampering' issue is that Fred Olsen have received no money from Euroferries, if it's not received by tomorrow then it seems FO aren't interested.

Well EF also claim to be able to carry pets, but according to DEFRA they cannot do so.

I also thought a local by-law prevented animals from entering the ferry terminal area anyway. Certainly Transeuropa cannot carry animals.

Yesterday, I emailed Fred Olsen to ask when the Bonanza Express was coming to England.

Here is their reply.

Good morning,

by the moment we have not the information that you want, you can have the information with EUROFERRY.

Thank you and regards

Unquote

...to promise an unforgettable experience without yet running anything for people to experience is pure rubbish.

'Unforgettable experience' could mean person a pays a company up front for a service, the said service does not materialise, the person tries to get their money back but is given the runaround for months until the said company disappears and the person's money goes with it. Not that I would have the temerity to suggest this might happen here, but it has been known to happen in the past as aficionados of Watchdog and The Cook Report will know all too well. In mitigation, I'm sure that back in 1984 Virgin Atlantic made all manner of claims and promises about its new service before it even started. I believe it's called pump-priming or getting the ball rolling - advertising and PR are black arts.

Our old 'friends' Coban Cruises and KMW Seaways both threw in the towel before getting as far as taking any bookings and, thus, money from Joe Public, so the stakes in this saga are now far higher as people have paid good money to make bookings on the back of official statements made in the past as catalogued in this mammoth thread. So I hope my personal pessimism about this venture ever happening proves unfounded...

...but if I were a customer who had already booked crossings I would be most concerned by the tone of the email from Fred Olsen posted yesterday by Pride of Hull as it smacks of Fred Olsen seeking to wash its hands of the whole farce - "don't ask us, ask them" does not demonstrate a harmonious partnership. As Fred Olsen are supposed to be supplying the vessel and there can be no service without a vessel...need I continue?