Sign in to follow this  
Bill

EUROFERRIES: Ramsgate to Boulogne

Re: EUROFERRIES: Ramsgate to Boulogne

Strong rumour 045 (ex speedone) going to Euroflop. Maughn chartering from Maridien / Epic or the bank. Interesting, watch this space! At least she knows the way.

If it is going to be 045 then it could do with some sprucing up internally as I always thought it was a bit tatty.

There is an interesting clause in the Euroferries terms and conditions ..........

"(x) All products and services described in our promotional material, whether in printed or electronic form are subject to availability at the time of booking. Bookings for travel in the following calendar year will be based on provisional schedules and vessel disposition, which may subsequently change. In the event of such a change you will beadvised prior to travel and made aware of the alternative options available to you."

Is this standard?

Prospect Number 70 is a non-company I would imagine - ship is basically owned by Epic.

Is Epic not just a front for the Bank who actually still retain Ownership?, in a round about way?

It still remains to be seen IF they ever start up and as Gary has said, will they remain in service if they ever start. Just can't see it myself! A nice job for the new Burgess Marine technical mamangement company and one Mr. N. Dunn to perhaps get his / their teeth in to. Time will tell!

Guest Sotonferry

I was wondering when Mr Dunn, would be mentioned, he has been off the "Radar" for a little while, as he did leave LD Lines I believe!

If it is going to be 045 then it could do with some sprucing up internally as I always thought it was a bit tatty.

There is an interesting clause in the Euroferries terms and conditions ..........

"(x) All products and services described in our promotional material, whether in printed or electronic form are subject to availability at the time of booking. Bookings for travel in the following calendar year will be based on provisional schedules and vessel disposition, which may subsequently change. In the event of such a change you will beadvised prior to travel and made aware of the alternative options available to you."

Is this standard?

To an extent, yes, it's covering them in the event of cancellation. However, my thoughts are that it's not explicit in what 'alternative options' are available, and at least in the part you have quoted doesn't guarantee a refund. The wording of it also just seems 'odd' to me.

I was wondering when Mr Dunn, would be mentioned, he has been off the "Radar" for a little while, as he did leave LD Lines I believe!

A while back someone who apparently knows Nick Dunn said he wasn't interested in working for them.... depends if he needs the work.

"Gold FIRST Class section" - used to read "lounge", still haven't altered the description in Terms & Conditions.

Anyone who has travelled on Sea Leopard will know it is a section on the upper level at the rear and separated by a few glass panels and a rope facing the stairs.

I take a seat at the same level by the window, near the door to the deck, just in case it gets a bit choppy !

This whole Saga sounds like a bloke on the quey at Ramsgate with his arm out (request stop) hoping the next boat to pass will stop and offer him a lift. How about we all sit quietly and see if the Ferry ever gets going and when it does we can all wave to it as it passes by ,maybe for the last time.R.I.P.

A while back someone who apparently knows Nick Dunn said he wasn't interested in working for them.... depends if he needs the work.

I have more intel on Mr. ND, but probably not for this forum.

Hi

Could I make a few points please.

Firstly, reference Nick Dunn - he seems to be contactable here

http://www.hsc-m.com/people.asp

Next, Incat 45 - most modern coaches are 3.5m high, 12m long and weigh about 14 tonnes fully laden. Could Sea Leoplard handle this? Could the ramps handle the weight? Is their enough height clearance?

Thirdly, when Speedferries collapsed, I believe a few of the bridge crew were retained and employed to "keep things ticking over" - is this still the case?

Lastly, Incat45 went to Falmouth recently for a refit - was this done and if so what was done?

What would the cost of the lease be for Incat 45? Somewhere I have the Speedferries accounts and these detail what was paid for the charter, prior to the purchase of the vessel.

Cheers

Some SpeedFerries crew baby sat it in Tilbury till it was sold by the bank, would think it is mothballed now with minimal crew.

Also strenthening work was done when she operated for the Aussie navy in East Timor, so i think the coach weight would be ok, though they would be right aft which is not so good on the fast craft. as was found out on the Norman Arrow, too much weight aft

I have been told that the ex-master of Speed 1 is now the master (ex?) of NS. If as reported the crew of NS are going to to laid off, maybe there is an opening for him.

On a very personall basis I do not like the LD policy of laying staff off whilst advertising for temporary crew elsewhere. :-#

http://www.clydemarine.com/content/recruit/ldlines.asp

The reason LD use a manning agency is so they dont directly employ and therefore can drop agency staff and just walk away, all the Norman Arrow crew were employed this way.

The reason LD use a manning agency is so they dont directly employ and therefore can drop agency staff and just walk away, all the Norman Arrow crew were employed this way.

Thats one of the things that make them different to BF.

1. Euroferries were planning on something similar with regard to employment

2. May also be looking at the same with the charter of Sea Leopard

3. This information was in the French Press a while back http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1248558/Metro-commuter-trains-Calais-Kent-running-2012-Olympics.html

4. Pas de Calais Region spending money on sporting venues for 2012 - already secured various teams

Hi

Next, Incat 45 - most modern coaches are 3.5m high, 12m long and weigh about 14 tonnes fully laden. Could Sea Leoplard handle this? Could the ramps handle the weight? Is their enough height clearance?

Thirdly, when Speedferries collapsed, I believe a few of the bridge crew were retained and employed to "keep things ticking over" - is this still the case?

Lastly, Incat45 went to Falmouth recently for a refit - was this done and if so what was done?

What would the cost of the lease be for Incat 45? Somewhere I have the Speedferries accounts and these detail what was paid for the charter, prior to the purchase of the vessel.

Cheers

In answer to your questions:

1) 045 can take no more than 4 coaches and they have to be aft. There is additional VD deck head height aft only. The whole VD has been strengthened to take large military vehicles but only by spreading the load with large lumps of dunnage. Coaches obviously have also to fit in through either rear VD door.

2) The eixisiting ramps can only really take cars and small vans - can't remember what the axle loading is.

3) There is a small contingent looking after the craft emloyed by Epic.

4) 045 did go to Falmouth for a docking. Engine surveys were completed along with a wash andbrush up, she has a siicon antifouling. Some would say there was not enough done and lthough quite a lot of money was spent it might not have been in correct places. She is now "in Class" and presumably still under the UK flag, second registry or maybe she has gone back to the BMA? Don't know.

5) Charter rate = best they can negotiate, somewhere around the 5 - 10k euro pr day ish!

Speed - brilliant ! I didn't see anything bigger thana van go on either. Also those doors and then moving about inside - shudder

What about her crossing time, I was a sceptical about BE crossing time, what would be realistic with 045 ?

Nice theories but just look at the Euroferries' business model! Sustainable for a season maybe?

Don't believe Olsens will entertain further approaches from EF for 051 and 045 is poorly suited for the coach concept. 045 almost certainly not going to Azores, as Epic failed to follow up in time.

Speed - brilliant ! I didn't see anything bigger thana van go on either. Also those doors and then moving about inside - shudder

What about her crossing time, I was a sceptical about BE crossing time, what would be realistic with 045 ?

No problem with crossing times, she is more than capable of 40 knots when in good running order, though the fuel bills at this speed would be awful, which is one of the reasons Speedferries went belly up, also not charging enough in ticket prices !

Service Speed approx 40 knots

Lightship Speed approx 48 knots

*Note - All speeds quoted at 100% MCR (4 x 7080kw @

1030 rpm) and excluding T-foil.

Thankyou Peter I found this on Incats Site - what would be the real crossing time 'BERTH to BERTH' ?

They are allowing about 35 minutes turnaround on some sailings.

At 40 knots she would easily make the advertised crossing time of 75 mins, but the fuel consumption would be VERY high ! In fact i dont see how they could run her at these speeds, and still make a profit of any sort, even with a full load, as Speedferries could'nt. The port turnaround time of 35 mins is not do able with a full load off and on again, we always struggled with her as SpeedOne on a 50 mins turnaround!

Not sure if anyone has asked this question before, but why go to Ramsgate (heading east) to get a ferry to Boulogne (travelling west). Passengers will see it go past Dover and then past Calais and probably think "why am I going this way around?".

Does Folkestone still have a linkspan? That would be proper competition as you can save 10 mins by getting off the M20 earlier (you'd have to drive through Folkestone but you have to do the same in Dover and that's full of roundabouts and traffic lights). Folkestone-Boulogne would be route I'd really like to see back and they could save time and fuel on the shorter route but still charge the same ticket price.

The reason Hoverspeed pulled out was that they already served Boulogne from Dover and did Folkestone as a PR stunt, but the economics do say when you have your own terminal at the Hoverport then why employ two shoreside teams?

The terminal at Folkestone was no great shakes but then the one at Ramsgate is not much better.

Well, Seashore you must have a hidden mic, that is the exact conversation over lunch today !

It is the obvious, but way toooo late - I seem to recall that Hoverspeed at Folkestone was someting to do with the Orient Express, Jim Sherwoods (Sea Containers) wife liked trains ........

The last time Folkestone was used for freight only, would that be the Neptunia (Falcon-Marfreight), terrible place to dock in high winds and the big problem is having to take lorries past all the homes to the port.

I don't like the EF idea of Ramsgate to Boulogne, but with some strength (money/investment) behind the route - why not ?

My theory is that there is space in Ramsgate for the unaccompanied traffic, and the two companies combined could interchange the vessels to cope with demand, not daily but I'm sure you get my drift.

Also, think of the savings on ground staff - a one ship operation leaves people hanging about - better to have shifts where they are occupied all the time.

A combined TEF/LD from Ramsgate to two ports - yep, that could work.