Sign in to follow this  
Bill

EUROFERRIES: Ramsgate to Boulogne

Re: EUROFERRIES: Ramsgate to Boulogne

If you approach Ramsgate via the M2 when you pass the M2/ A2 Dover junction the mileage to Ramsgate and Dover is the same, but the M20 is the main route to Dover.

Folkestone requires so much work that it is not really viable anymore

Not quite a microphone Bellebluesea, but we're probably both thinking like the general travelling public!

Ramsgate worked for Sally because of three reasons; duty free, they were low fares before low fares existed on the Channel (certainly couldn't get £50 return back then, more like £200-ish with P&O EF and Stena Sealink) and they gave "Nautical Miles" a plenty to everyone in their newsletters (I don't think we ever paid for a crossing with them; never ate in the smorgasbord or bought duty free, so our ferry enthusiast trips probably inadvertently helped toward their demise).

I Google mapped Folkestone harbour and can see what you mean about no linkspan; from that the shoreside base is still there as well as the gantry but no linkspan inbetween. The marshalling areas look a mess, the harbour station run down and the terminal buildings are delapidated. Reminds me of what passengers currently have to face at Newhaven today!

Not that I always believe Google maps though; if you've ever looked at the CFP there are two NEX at the same port!

I see what you mean about the road journey by Google routing that, but do many people actually go that way down the M2/A2 to the Channel ports? It always seems to be the M20 as the main road of choice, except when Operation Stack is in force.

Boulogne just seems to be a strange place to sail to. As a marketeer myself, I imagine they will get most of their new business from the internet. Do people really search Boulogne or Ramsgate as departure ports? Really needs to be somewhere people search for like "ferry to Calais" (used Google's keyword tool to check the traffic volumes and they are much higher). Surely the old Calais fast ferry linkspans are still there?

Or to really be a niche operator, why not Oostende, Zeeburgge or Vlissingen? Norfolkline works because Dunkerque is 15 mins more sailing time than Calais but saves you a lot more time than that if you're travelling from Calais to Belgium or Holland (and they're forever giving it away for £19 single; Euroferries have to compete with these levels of price). I remember though sailing on Condor 10 from Ramsgate to Dunkirk (for free as usual on Nautical Miles) and it took nearly 90 mins, so no idea how they will make Boulogne in 15 mins less.

It's all academic anyway... this bunch have been trying to run a ferry for years, it will never get off the ground, even if it does it won't last more than a few months, the timetable will be in tatters as they won't be able to run in those times and unload as they promise. Looking forward to seeing their latest excuses on Inside Out tomorrow - they've been on there before extolling the virtues of themselves but all come to nought.

There is much being said that LD have taken the move to Ramsgate to thwart EF from setting up, the 'new' set up should not make a difference to their plans, as of now the route will be Ramsgate - Ostend to eventually replace one/two of the TEF older vessels.

Arguably with a 'freighter' plying its trade between Dover and Boulogne said not to be passenger friendly (not sure - says takes up to 400 pax, also only a short journey, so is it important ?) then this leaves a great gap for Euroferries and their hundreds of coaches and millions of passengers.

BBC South East Inside Out tonight at 7:30pm UK time. Hope it reveals things that us lot don't already know.

There is much being said that LD have taken the move to Ramsgate to thwart EF from setting up, the 'new' set up should not make a difference to their plans, as of now the route will be Ramsgate - Ostend to eventually replace one/two of the TEF older vessels.

Arguably with a 'freighter' plying its trade between Dover and Boulogne said not to be passenger friendly (not sure - says takes up to 400 pax, also only a short journey, so is it important ?) then this leaves a great gap for Euroferries and their hundreds of coaches and millions of passengers.

BBC South East Inside Out tonight at 7:30pm UK time. Hope it reveals things that us lot don't already know.

Euroferries have never said much, so why should they say anything on camera? Think there will be more unanswered questions and no clear info as to what is going on !

I think we will see how little investigating that the media actually do these days and can sit back and see how a thread from here looks with video added !

I think we will see how little investigating that the media actually do these days and can sit back and see how a thread from here looks with video added !

Never underestimate 'people power', forums and blogs !

I don't think they will reveal anything different, the difference will be to a very much wider audience ..........

Totally off topic, but a good number of years ago, maybe about 12, I recall a firm called Folkestone-Boulogne Ferries was to be set up? I can even recall speaking to them in the phone. What happened?

I also clearly remember Eurolink, ex Sheerness!

They didn;t even get the ferry right :-/

The "Bonanza Express" shwon was actually the Trimaran "BENCHIJIGUA EXPRESS"

I said the same - but maybe that would have meant a trip to the Canaries ! BBC Licence Fees and all that, should have said stock video or something similar.

The programme revealed very little other than the fact that Euroferries claim they have a deal with Ramsgate and the port claims to know nothing about it.

Totally off topic, but a good number of years ago, maybe about 12, I recall a firm called Folkestone-Boulogne Ferries was to be set up? I can even recall speaking to them in the phone. What happened?

I can't remember his name, but it was a chap who worked for Sealink in the Dover Strait who Stena seemed to get rid of quite rapidly at the takeover, who then ended up with Hoverspeed for not very long until they sent Geoffry Ede in to sort it out, who then ended up doing Folkestone-Boulogne Ferries then Eurolink and possibly even Sally? I think he had or has something to do with Euroferries, but this might have been a long time ago. I think he wrote an article in one of the earlier British Ferry Scene magazines about the future of ferry travel after the Tunnel opened. This is all from distant memory so could be very wrong and am very prepared to withdraw this - so no lawyers calls for libel please!

........................................... just distancing myself ...............(comme TDC) I think you'll find that this will spread to the general public to keep their money in their banks, I have never had a reply as to whether the 2.5% card charge (obligatory) was to be refunded. Anyone who has a reservation presently will be in touch with them pdq and those toying with it, go elsewhere.

Also, the statement, which wasn't new, see Thanet Strife, from TDC, we have met our obligations etc. and a previous 'leak' that they had signed a 'Memorandum of understanding' - see The Big Blog, courtesy of Steve in August last year.

The same can be said of Boulogne how long does a 'contract' last or even a Memorandum of understanding/undertaking.

The BBC have to err on the side of libel/slander, Euroferries read this and I tell them - bad move chaps not to appear or at least by today scupper the programme with the truth of the arrival of your service .

The story of the little boy who cried 'wolf', when the wolf was really there nobody believed him......

As we thought, loads of questions and no answers. Diffulcult to do a story if no one will speak to you i know!

I can't remember his name, but it was a chap who worked for Sealink in the Dover Strait who Stena seemed to get rid of quite rapidly at the takeover, who then ended up with Hoverspeed for not very long until they sent Geoffry Ede in to sort it out, who then ended up doing Folkestone-Boulogne Ferries then Eurolink and possibly even Sally? I think he had or has something to do with Euroferries, but this might have been a long time ago. I think he wrote an article in one of the earlier British Ferry Scene magazines about the future of ferry travel after the Tunnel opened. This is all from distant memory so could be very wrong and am very prepared to withdraw this - so no lawyers calls for libel please!

Don't know who you refer to, but this is nostalgic:

http://www.urban75.org/railway/folkestone-harbour.html

and a sad end.

Eurolink Ferries was set up by the owners of Sheerness port, the Mersey Docks and Harbour Co., to revive the Sheerness-Vlissingen service abandoned by Olau Line. Unfortunately they used two "cut 'n' shut" Greek ferries upon which they bestowed the decidedly inappropriate and pretentious names of EUROMANTIQUE and EUROMAGIQUE. EUROLINK MEDWAY and EUROLINK SCHELDT might have been better. Their business plan called for 250,000 passengers in the first year; in the event they got only 100,000 and lasted no more than a year to eighteen months. But at least they started. Sadly it appeared any demand for a Sheerness-Vlissingen service was past tense.

Okay, it's not the same chap - perhaps not the same Euroferries as well. Was this the same lot that were supposed to run from Dover Hoverport before Speedferries got there?

Two huge (for the time) cruise ferries with lots of facilities, big marketing spend, holidays package product and travel agent brochure racking pre-internet days versus two old tubs (one essentially was a freighter) with no well known name, ferries that just did not match up to the previous demographic and the launch of the Tunnel... it's not a surprise they didn't last long. Most start-ups businesses take at least 3 years to turn a profit, so these fly-by-nights need to be in it for long term gain, not short term cash.

Eurolink Ferries was set up by the owners of Sheerness port, the Mersey Docks and Harbour Co., to revive the Sheerness-Vlissingen service abandoned by Olau Line. Unfortunately they used two "cut 'n' shut" Greek ferries upon which they bestowed the decidedly inappropriate and pretentious names of EUROMANTIQUE and EUROMAGIQUE. EUROLINK MEDWAY and EUROLINK SCHELDT might have been better. Their business plan called for 250,000 passengers in the first year; in the event they got only 100,000 and lasted no more than a year to eighteen months. But at least they started. Sadly it appeared any demand for a Sheerness-Vlissingen service was past tense.

(For Mersey Docks and Harbour Co please read http://www.peel.co.uk/ a much regarded major operator in the North West)

Well whilst South East were getting Euroferries we in the South Today region were in for a treat. We had pictures of the old Camber Queen or Fishbourne heading along Southsea Sea front and either Brading or Southsea steaming out of the Harbour in 1982. All due to a film with Terry Sovalas's (Kojak to you youngsters) voice over. Its always amazing at how things have changed in just 28 years and the memory is so foggy.

Its always amazing at how things have changed in just 28 years and the memory is so foggy.

Yes agreed but I'm sure the BBC didn't used to be quite so cr**py. The Euroferries bit was a 'bricks without straw' complete waste of time and the chap presenting the Pompey footage left me speechless at how bad he was.

& the BBC cannot spell PORTCHESTER as in Portchester Castle. They are as bad as the Highways people in the towers at Winchester who spelt it Porchester on loads of road signs years ago and wasted a lot of money. Things like that should be right when you are presenting a programme about an historic place.

They didn;t even get the ferry right :-/

The "Bonanza Express" shwon was actually the Trimaran "BENCHIJIGUA EXPRESS"

This summed up the whole programme, could'nt even get the right ship !!!:$

It would now appear that you can no longer use the booking engine on the EF website. I feel that they have run away again.