Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adicat

Wightlink-Tesco Vouchers

Does anyone know why Wightlink are not accepting the Club Card vouchers exchanges on day trips for 2009? I don't tend to use the club card vouchers so exchanged them for Wightlink, but last year I got a day trip for what in effect was £10 of club card vouchers which were exchanged for £40 Wightlink vouchers. Its a great deal but now the day trips have banned their use :-(

Re: Wightlink-Tesco Vouchers

I imagine it is simply an economic decision by Wightlink or Tesco to discontinue. Tesco would offer these things to entice people to use their clob and Wightlink to increase footfall. Either of the businesses might have reached the point where the particular offer was no longer beneficial to them.

Got round it as my sister booked a week ticket and thus used my Tesco Wightlink vouchers and gave me the £40 she was short so that I can spend that on my day trip. \that cost me only £10 Tesco vouchers. It is really good deal and they do other Ferry Cos vouchers as well. £10 Tesco=£40 ship co. Seems bit mean especially in the current climate. I think Wightlink are hoping to have more bookings this year as people take UK holidays as the comedy currency we have makes european destination rather expensive.

In a similar vein, I noticed that you no longer get Clubcard points when buying tyres etc at National Tyres - decision by Tesco apparently.

Actually £10 of Tesco vouchers = £5 to Tesco and £5 to Wightlink.

A good way of getting a name out their if the marketing cost is otherwise likely to be high.

I used to work for a holiday company that had also sorts of exclusions around them simply because of the amount of money that would be paid. A famous "half price holiday" promotion paid by Clubcard vouchers would actually only be worth a quarter of the brochure price. Clearly not profitable. The severe restrictions on the vouchers use tended to cause more customer upset and few customers realised how long it could take for the vouchers to come through (often several weeks).

I would also argue, why do Wightlink need to do it? Have seen in previous threads about cross channel operators having difficulty filling their ships (ref SeaFrance, Amorique facilities, SpeedFerries, HD Lines, PO Burgundy cut backs) with people staying in the UK, then surely aren't more people going to be travelling to the Isle of Wight as one of only a few places you can travel to by ferry, and get the sense of going abroad.

Wightlink did loose market share to Red Funnel last year, who cut their prices significantly in summer, and perhaps Wightlink are looking to manage their revenue more effectively by in full control of who pays what and when.

Would have thought that it could even be an opportunity to see a third low cost competitor come to the Isle of Wight. Always thought that Loch Dunvegan and Loch Fyne from CalMac would be ideal as a low cost service on a short crossing using slipways rather than linkspans and thus avoiding the issues of linkspan capacities being full at Fishbourne and Cowes.

I agree with the need for a 3rd operator for the Isle of Wight. I doubt you will see slipways again as they cause high & dry ferries and there is probably a safety law now preventing this. I must admit, the fun has gone out of seeing the ships load for the IOW (and left high & dry on the slip). Use to cram the cars on but now they send down so many and say thats it and about 3 spaces left. The deck officers are not from the same school as they use to be. They would come up the slipway look at the load and then say what they wanted. Now its all radio at arms length and drip feeding the traffic. More like cross channel ferries. Never know why they don't just request x amount of cars then the freight then more cars. They must know what the ship takes on each mezz.

Brittany Ferries help fill their ships by offering constant 24 hour return newspaper offers.

Attn: BF 'Mole'

Mini-Cruises to Spain where you conveniently arrived back at the same port you started from contributed to filling the ship too :@

PHIL

I agree with the need for a 3rd operator for the Isle of Wight. I doubt you will see slipways again as they cause high & dry ferries and there is probably a safety law now preventing this. I must admit, the fun has gone out of seeing the ships load for the IOW (and left high & dry on the slip). Use to cram the cars on but now they send down so many and say thats it and about 3 spaces left. The deck officers are not from the same school as they use to be. They would come up the slipway look at the load and then say what they wanted. Now its all radio at arms length and drip feeding the traffic. More like cross channel ferries. Never know why they don't just request x amount of cars then the freight then more cars. They must know what the ship takes on each mezz.

Wightlink have no system for loading their ships at all. You can arrive early and ask if you can travel early and even at 8pm on a Thursday night in January get told "oh I don't know". You get to the car lane and there are 3 cars sitting in it. I thought it was me they were just having a laugh with but it seems to be true. You can also turn up 30 mins before your booked crossing and not end up on it - which is infuriating. So have tended to give up pre-booking. If need to get somewhere at a guaranteed time the would take Red Funnel.

By consequence though, they take it all rather too seriously. All that's missing is passport control and it would be more like sailing through Plymouth. But still, don't have to get out my car to do something as quick and easy as check-in!