Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHIL

"BRETAGNE" approaching The Skaw

Re: "BRETAGNE" approaching The Skaw

I notice the destination was Cherbourg. The Normandie also returned to Cherbourg on returning from her latest fit before returning to the timetable. Any reason for this?

I notice the destination was Cherbourg. The Normandie also returned to Cherbourg on returning from her latest fit before returning to the timetable. Any reason for this?

Possible final fitting out and restocking etc?

www.digimap.gg/ais website shows BRETAGNE currently docked in Cherbourg. She seems to have been there for a day or so now. I would guess that, because of its central position as far as BF is concerned, not to mention available quays, Cherbourg is a very convenient port for BF vessels to lay-by.

What's she doing till she's back in service? Few weeks yet....

Does anyone know what BRETAGNE is doing until she returns to Portsmouth-St Malo later this month? This ferry no longer appears on the Digimap AIS map as being berthed in Cherbourg and I can find no trace in the BF timetables for the next few weeks. I wasn't aware she was due to overhaul at this time. If she's doing nothing or is not otherwise engaged one wonders why she couldn't have stood in for BARFLEUR for at least part of the time this ship is away on annual overhaul.

Does anyone know what BRETAGNE is doing until she returns to Portsmouth-St Malo later this month? This ferry no longer appears on the Digimap AIS map as being berthed in Cherbourg and I can find no trace in the BF timetables for the next few weeks. I wasn't aware she was due to overhaul at this time. If she's doing nothing or is not otherwise engaged one wonders why she couldn't have stood in for BARFLEUR for at least part of the time this ship is away on annual overhaul.

She's been in Poland since 02.01 having a 6m pound/euro refurb, so assume she's now in Cherbourg carrying out finishing touches/crew retrain and resupplying. Try this thread which I found by using the search function.

http://forums.bfenthusiasts.com/showthread.php?t=6302&highlight=bretagne+2009+refit

She's been in Poland since 02.01 having a 6m pound/euro refurb, so assume she's now in Cherbourg carrying out finishing touches/crew retrain and resupplying. Try this thread which I found by using the search function.

http://forums.bfenthusiasts.com/showthread.php?t=6302&highlight=bretagne+2009+refit

Thanks for that. I suppose she must be completing her overhaul. Let's hope they have it done by the time she's due to re-enter service. It would have been kinda undiplomatic to have her standing idly by when the service into the self-same port is short of a ship.

I was on the Bretagne refit for the duration, sailing from Plymouth to Roscoff and then on to Gdansk. She had a lot of work done, and is now in Cherbourg for 'finishing touches'. The refit contract went up to 28 Feb, but it is usual for ships having this amount of work done to allow a buffer period in order to accommodate any potential problems which lead to additional time being needed. Glad to say all went well for the most part, and its basically just 'spitting and polishing' needed now. We were actually to be finishing off in Brest, but space there is apparently unavailable due to Dover-Calais vessels, affected by lack of traffic and having been temporarily taken out of service, being laid up there.

The Bretagne looks great, in my opinion. Almost all areas were re-carpeted. All of the public toilets were demolished and completely rebuilt. All of the cabins were cosmetically refurbished. The self service restaurant was completely refurbished. The Salon de The area on deck 8 was completely demolished and an airy, spacious, modern area with all new seating, a new bar/cafe, flat-screen tv's and wifi connection created. The decor is VERY different, but there was no-one who didn't think it had been well done. It will be interesting to see what the passenger reaction will be.

I really did like the Salon de The although it was starting to get quite shabby. It was a great place to sit and read with drinks from the nearby bar. I just hope the replacement is as good as you say.

Nothing lasts forever....

sounds fab!! anyone know if she'll be doing the portsmouth/stmalo crossing on april 4th? i do hope so!!*-)

I'd have loved to be on that maxi-cruise.

Because there would not have been long queues at the Self-Service counter ? :D!

Because there would not have been long queues at the Self-Service counter ? :D!

Because we would have been able to dine in Les Abers resataurant!

Because we would have been able to dine in Les Abers resataurant!

Doubt if it would have been open in the winter for a trip to Gdansk for refit lol. I know it was tongue in cheek and so was my reply.. Only couple days and Bret is back on St Malo and PA returns to her port.

......... I know it was tongue in cheek and so was my reply.......... and PA returns to her port.
Didn't think Portsmouth Santander started until later in the year ?:P

As per the schedule she's due to complete the 17th March to St Malo so assume tomorrow or Tuesday?

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/routes/portsmouth-st-malo/timetable

I understand she leaves Cherbourg on Turesday in Ballast and start service Turs night from Portsmouth with Pont Aven arriving from St.Malo and then waiting for the 1st crossing of the year to Spain.

Didn't think Portsmouth Santander started until later in the year ?:P

Got to give you a :P back for that one. :D!

PA's port arrivals and departures in August 2009 are:-

Plymouth 26

Roscoff 26

Santander 18

Cork 9

Portsmouth 9

The split for other months is similar.

In 2010......who knows? Portsmouth will either have her all the time or not at all?

Got to give you a :P back for that one. :D!

As long as someone from the West Country bites, it is not a wasted :P !

I wasn't going to give you the satisfaction! lol

I'll be back ................... after I've had a sulk! ;)