Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ResignedUser

New W Class don't speak too soon!

Re: New W Class don't speak too soon!

Saw something on the news earlier stating that the service is going to be reduced *with immediate effect* to a 60-min interval until some time in May. Surely this will cause (severe?) congestion at both Yarmy and Lymmy at peak periods?

I know that the new vessels have a larger capacity than the loveable dinosaurs they've replaced, but will the service be able to cope at this reduced frequency? I just hope that the May deadline is adhered to, as come the summer, I think a lot of tourists may avoid the Lym-Yar route in favour of Ports-Fish, or even ditch Wightlink and use the *ed *unnel service from *****ampton.

We'll see ...

M

Guest ResignedUser

Saw something on the news earlier stating that the service is going to be reduced *with immediate effect* to a 60-min interval until some time in May. Surely this will cause (severe?) congestion at both Yarmy and Lymmy at peak periods?

If this is the case (and I haven't seen or heard the news article you mention) then this may be due to the fact the ferries have been running late anyway due to not being able to pass in the river. If the timetable is revised to 60 minute departures then the unfortunate scenario of never running to time due to the restrictions currently placed upon them won't arise.

It's a bit like the trains did a few years ago- by extending the time that trains had to get between stations (which is why trains now often wait in stations) suddenly more trains were getting to their stops on time- and so the reliability statitics were massively improved!

It's a bit like the trains did a few years ago- by extending the time that trains had to get between stations (which is why trains now often wait in stations) suddenly more trains were getting to their stops on time- and so the reliability statitics were massively improved!

It's called running a timetable that will work rather than mythical impossibility - as Dick Hardy tried to convince the operating authorities decades ago. It also opens up myriad connections that were once impossible as unlike buses trains never leave early!

It's called running a timetable that will work rather than mythical impossibility - as Dick Hardy tried to convince the operating authorities decades ago. It also opens up myriad connections that were once impossible as unlike buses trains never leave early!

Is that why Ryanair have longer flights so they can play that awful jingle on arrival?

What happens when Wight Sun arrives and they are back to 3 vessels and supposedly 30 minute service at peak times?

Also if the ferries are withdrawn then Our Lady Pamela will be brought in to run a passenger service I would imagine. 30 knots up the river should do it!!!!!