"Wight Sky" delivery voyage- Captains Log

Guest ResignedUser

Guest ResignedUser

The captains log for the impending delivery voyage of the 3rd and final Wight Class ship, Wight Sun, is now on the Wightlink website, here http://www.wightlink.co.uk/new-ships/wight-sun---captain's-log.aspx.

Also archived, the delivery voyage for Wight Sky http://www.wightlink.co.uk/new-ships/wight-sky---captain's-log.aspx

and Wight Light

http://www.wightlink.co.uk/new-ships/wight-light---captain's-log.aspx

The one for Wight Sky is a really good read, and the captain on that voyage, Peter Mitchell, is also the captain for the delivery voyage of Wight Sun so hopefully it will turn out to be equally good.

Guest ResignedUser

Re: "Wight Sky" delivery voyage- Captains Log

The previous makes for very enjoyable reading!

Yeah I thought the Wight Sky one was really good! I was a little hooked when it ws in progress actually!

I think the Wight Light one was a bit of an afterthought!

Guest ResignedUser

Solent Waters reports that Wight Sun left Croatia at 10:40 this morning (Croation time I would imagine).

No updates to the Captains log as yet.

Guest ResignedUser

Just a quick note to say that the captains log has had quite a few updates posted now they have cleared the weather that was hampering their progress. Also a few pictures.

Have a look at the picture attached to the March 29th posting for a good laugh! It looks like the Gosport ferry ais tracks!

Guest ResignedUser

It woruld seem they have definately taken their digital camera along this time, pictures almost every day on the captains log!

Anyone else wish they were along for the ride?

Guest ResignedUser

Wight Sun is now moored in Gibraltar. The Captains Log continues to make good reading!

Guest ResignedUser

Surley being such a responsible officer,The Captain would be allowed to post direct............

This would depend on the website being able to cope with this- so set up like some sort of blogging software. I doubt this is the case- with the exception of the booking engine, which is actually a seperate system (webplus). I suspect the updates are emailed to someone at head office, probably as part of other communications, and then the website is updated from there.

Guest ResignedUser

Thanks for the picture. Whats that thing to the right- it looks like the slipway? Just wondering what it says on the end? "St Anton...?"

Hmm good question. I'd noticed it, but didn't really take much note of it, thinking it was 'just' a barge, but I think you could both be right, it does look like a modification to the slipway. That was where the good old 'C' class came into their own, with their slipway ramps, which could be used on both linkspans or slips.

I'll check it out further next time I'm over in Lymington. I was in a bit of a hurry yesterday, as I zipped into the car park, keeping half an eye out for high vis clad Wightlink officials wandering about, as I wasn't going to buy a ticket for just 5 minutes!:D!

True, yes it could very well be just that. The 'arrangement' they have at the end of the linkspan at the moment does look a bit temporary doesn't it, so yes, I'd go with that.:)

I Wonder whats happened to the "White Sun",

as the last entry on The Captain's Log was Wednesday 8th April ?

The answer arrived in The Log dated Monday 13th April

"Unfortunately we have lost satellite e-mail connection, although the phone is working, so have been unable to transmit the log for the last three days. I will have to do it from the office tomorrow morning so apologies for our late news. "

• 4 weeks later...

Wight Sun I have been told is due in service end of Month. However, looks like a 2 timetable job for some time if my July booking is anything to go by.

Archived