Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ResignedUser

"Wight Sky" delivery voyage- Captains Log

Re: "Wight Sky" delivery voyage- Captains Log

with regard to the slipway mods, i dont think that the barge looking thing is actually for lymington at all... when i looked the other day it seemed to be two lanes wide, with a gate to filter traffic into one lane at the end... so from that i would hazzard a rough guess at it being the new upper linkspan for Fishbourne, as a two lane linkspan at lymington for the w class seems to be too much???

Guest ResignedUser

... so from that i would hazzard a rough guess at it being the new upper linkspan for Fishbourne, as a two lane linkspan at lymington for the w class seems to be too much???

I think this is unlikely, I don't think the jumboisation project is that far advanced as yet, my understanding is that it either is, or is just about to be, out for tendering, so commisioning the new upper linkspan would seem a little premature at this point until final designs etc are agreed with a shipyard.

Also, why would the upper linkspan be manufactured or stored at Lymington- surely it would be largely fabricated on site (delivered in "Kit form" and put together)

It is an emergency berthing barge for Wightlink. It was built on the pad at Dover:

http://www.doverferryphotosforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=53

(Registration required)

Edit:

Also

http://www.theburgessgroup.co.uk/burgess_Wightlink_Berthing_Barge_Order.pdf

Short story about it here:

http://www.solentwaters.co.uk/JAlbumnews/Recentnews/slides/st%20anton.html

Guest ResignedUser

Wight Sky is apparantly in service from Monday.

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/car-ferry-set-to-join-route-26263.aspx

IWCP Thursday 21st May 2009

WIGHTLINK’S third new controversial ferry enters service on the Yarmouth-Lymington car ferry route on Monday.

But, despite the fact Wight Sun completes the £24 million complement, 30-minute sailings cannot resume.

Until the ferry company gets permission for a permanent new linkspan at Lymington, increased turnaround times remain.

Guest ResignedUser

Wight Sun is now in service as shown by AIS.

I note that although the AIS has been updated to show the ship as a passenger ship, it also shows it as moored in the centre of the solent!!

http://picasaweb.google.com/mark.icteacher/WightSun

It seems all 3 ships are currently in use.

All three are in service. Just seen Wight Sky in Yarmouth from the pier. I didn't have my camera at the time but i'll get some photo's and post them tomorow.

Matt

Well there may be no room for St catherine in Portsmouth but perhaps Wightlink took notice of my St Clare post and bring in one of the smaller W class to run 5 ships, as Wight Light is now in Portsmouth by our lady Pamela.

as Wight Light is now in Portsmouth by our lady Pamela.

Just noticed that on AIS - is she being pressed into service on the Fishbourne station?

M (time to go for a walk methinks!)

sadly she was in the layby at Gunwharf but just as my meeting finished they moved her grrr

Seems a long way from Lymington-Yarmouth to store her for a short time...?

Edit: She is still showing as being moored at the Hulk in Portsmouth...

She is still here and no sign of crew. Passengers aboard ST Faith are now getting a close up view of Wight Light, as St Clare is running late and so Faith is waiting to go into Camber.

Talking of looking at Wight Light on AIS, I tried to go on the ais-live.co.uk last week and managed to get a warning re a virus so have not ventured near it since as Tony is away on holiday for a while. Has anyone else experienced that as I am getting withdrawal symptoms!!!

Apparently the Wight Light is in Portsmouth as overnight work is being done on the Link span at Lymington this week whilst there is a 2-boat service, and 1 (Wight Light) needs to be out-the-way whilst the work is being done so that night ferries can use the slipway/barge combination next to the Freshwater berth

I wonder if they can tie up 2 St class ferries as well as Wight Light on the hulk as the reason St Catherine is at Hythe is because no room at the inn down here in Portsmouth because of the Harbour Passenger terminal work? I would have thought there would be danger of the tide swing with loosened ropes that they may hit each other.