Sign in to follow this  
Doug

Cuthred (Mira Praia) Lots of photos

12 hours ago, Techsnap said:

It's a shame that there are no interior shots of Cuthred from before Setúbal. 

There aren't many interior shots of any of the Solent ferries really - one of the Wightlink books has plenty of shots of one of the C's (Cenwulf I think) in the late 1990s, shortly after they were refurbished in finest "Travelodge Conference Room circa 1996" style with lots of pale wood, brightly patterned carpets and fake plants, but nothing beforehand. Nothing of the Saints really either, not even the murals which certainly featured in the original 1983 pair and probably the later ones too before the shop/kiosk thingy was built, I can't say I remember.

It's a pity really because I'm sure the original interiors were quite interesting, given what Sealink were trying elsewhere. You only have to look at the photos of some of their cross-Channel stuff to see how avantgarde they could be, with the space-age fittings on the Vortigern or St Edmund, or the specially-commissioned Franta Belsky murals on Hengist/Horsa/Senlac (presumably all destroyed along with those ships themselves), or even the modernist interiors of the St Anselm and her sisters. I can't imagine for a minute that the humble shuttle service that the C-class was built for merited anything on this scale, but I've heard they certainly had some very bold colour schemes inside in their early careers.

Interestingly Wightlink do appear to have rediscovered some mojo on the refitted St Clare recently, with some rather interesting furniture and colour schemes which are really quite bold and nicely designed. It certainly takes your mind off of the rest of that wretched ship, as your cup of coffee vibrates itself off of the table into your lap! I have not managed to get on the VoW yet but I hope it is similar in style.

Edited by Pigeonrat
  • Like 1

A snippet from Design magazine. I've got some B&W interior images of her somewhere when she was new which I'll dig out if anyone's interested.

image.png.cbb418984d726309bb34783b1b137365.png

10 hours ago, Pigeonrat said:

I can't imagine for a minute that the humble shuttle service that the C-class was built for merited anything on this scale, but I've heard they certainly had some very bold colour schemes inside in their early careers. 

Did not Caedmon have bright orange seats in that lounge that was set fire to?  Did they all have the same colours in those lounges?

1 hour ago, Khaines said:

Did not Caedmon have bright orange seats in that lounge that was set fire to?  Did they all have the same colours in those lounges?

I never made it into the lower lounges on the Cs, they had long since been closed off by that point. Sadly the only time I ever saw them was during the somewhat gruesome demolition videos, and the seats were a bright mustard-yellow colour as seen a lot in the early 70s, moulded plastic. I can't imagine they had faded as there was no natural light down there! Caedmon and Cenred both had the mustard-yellow, no demolition video exists for Cenwulf but I presume it was the same. I believe the upper lounges were different across the four ships though, rather like the Saints before they were refitted in the 1990s

11 hours ago, hhvferry said:

A snippet from Design magazine. I've got some B&W interior images of her somewhere when she was new which I'll dig out if anyone's interested.

image.png.cbb418984d726309bb34783b1b137365.png

"Spithead Pushmepullyou", I like that...

Yes, please do post any other photos you have - Ward and Austin were indeed the team behind the more interesting Sealink ships so should be worth a look...

Edited by Pigeonrat
  • Like 1

@Pigeonrat Yes, the C-Class interiors sound interesting in their original configuration, apparently vinyl seats, different colours in each from other posts I've read on here. I only really remember these from the mid 90s on as I would have been too young to remember their pre Wightlink interiors. I found some images of Cenwulf's interior online which wasn't the colours that she went to the Esbjerg with http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/extra_bilder/cenwulf_1973_omb_1.htm

I've never been in St Clare, usually if I go from Portsmouth it ends up being on one of the W-Class or St. Faith.

@hhvferry Thanks for that, if you have any other images that would be very much appreciated 😊

Had a response from APSS, rather to the point but hey, Names removed:

Dear Sir,

These old ferries will soon be dismantled because they are not seaworthy.

Kind Regards,

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Techsnap said:

@Pigeonrat Yes, the C-Class interiors sound interesting in their original configuration, apparently vinyl seats, different colours in each from other posts I've read on here. I only really remember these from the mid 90s on as I would have been too young to remember their pre Wightlink interiors. I found some images of Cenwulf's interior online which wasn't the colours that she went to the Esbjerg with http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/extra_bilder/cenwulf_1973_omb_1.htm

I've never been in St Clare, usually if I go from Portsmouth it ends up being on one of the W-Class or St. Faith.

@hhvferry Thanks for that, if you have any other images that would be very much appreciated 😊

Those photos of Cenwulf's interior I vaguely recall as being the original Wightlink interior, presumably fitted during their life extensions in about 1992-93. They were refitted (albeit with what appeared to be the same furniture reupholstered) in something like 1998-2000 with the bright carpets etc, which they kept till the end. As an ex-TV engineer, I notice such things - I could tell that was Cenwulf from the original early 70s Tannoy speaker above the stairs, like something out of a museum! Caedmon and Cenred had lost these at some point for modern black ones long ago.

So it looks like Cuthred is for the chop at some point soon then, that's a shame. I wonder why she and the one next to it have been carefully moored afloat whereas the other two have been just run onto the beach? Come to think of it, what happened to the ferry service anyway? Gone bust through lack of customers or something a bit more strange?

Shame about Cuthred, but then she has has a good innings and she has done well to outlive her half sisters as long as she has.

2 hours ago, Pigeonrat said:

Come to think of it, what happened to the ferry service anyway? Gone bust through lack of customers or something a bit more strange?

The Setubal-Troia service is now run by Atlantic Ferries who had two new car ferries, the PATO REAL and ROLA DO MAR, in 2007, and two passenger catamarans, the  GARÇA BRANCA and ROAZ CORVINEIRO, in 2008.

http://www.atlanticferries.pt/en/

Very similar to Yarmouth lymington service apart from the fares ..I can’t beleive how cheap they are .we are being blatantly robbed over here .we rarely go off the island now because of it ..

12 hours ago, Pigeonrat said:

Those photos of Cenwulf's interior I vaguely recall as being the original Wightlink interior, presumably fitted during their life extensions in about 1992-93. They were refitted (albeit with what appeared to be the same furniture reupholstered) in something like 1998-2000 with the bright carpets etc, which they kept till the end. As an ex-TV engineer, I notice such things - I could tell that was Cenwulf from the original early 70s Tannoy speaker above the stairs, like something out of a museum! Caedmon and Cenred had lost these at some point for modern black ones long ago.

So it looks like Cuthred is for the chop at some point soon then, that's a shame. I wonder why she and the one next to it have been carefully moored afloat whereas the other two have been just run onto the beach? Come to think of it, what happened to the ferry service anyway? Gone bust through lack of customers or something a bit more strange?

Yes, I remember the interiors pictured. I think the most recent interiors or at least carpets (load bearing ones in Caedmon 😄) and coverings were installed in the early 2000's... Yep, the old tannoy speaker was there right until the breakers.

I wonder if at one time, there were plans to sell them on for further use whereas the other two were already too "past it". It looks like a rather boilerplate response though so perhaps they'll still be sitting there indefinitely. There is definitely some sort of ambiguity with these old ferries. The current operator Atlantic ferries is clearly completely different and has nothing to do with the old ferries.

A couple of pictures of the Cuthred as built.

The upper bar area -

Cuthredbar26_ul.jpg

Cuthredteabar26_ul.jpg

This is the lower lounge. Shipbuilding & Shipping Record commented that, "here it is possible that a claustrophobic effect could be obtained. There are no openings and considerable areas of anti-graffiti design plastic facings tend to give a restrictive feeling. The framed pictures on one bulkhead are rather inadequate to relieve the monotony". (They also assessed Cuthred as "not a handsome vessel" and that her builders accepted the order "at a price of £320,000 and... while non-committal as to whether a profit was made at this price, feel that the 'know-how' obtained made the project well worthwhile. They could certainly compete with a repeat ship providing the competition was realistic. This reflects considerable credit on a yard based at Lowestoft, an area which does not benefit from any concessions in UK selective employment tax".)

Cuthredllounge26_ul.jpg

And, if you really are interested, everything you ever wanted to know about the fit-out of the Cuthred but were afraid to ask (I'd forgotten I'd got this but in the same file as the photos was a copy of the owner's specification book from which these pages are taken) -

29908_TN.jpg30909_TN.jpg

31910_TN.jpg32911_TN.jpg

33912_TN.jpg34913_TN.jpg

35914_TN.jpg36915_TN.jpg

37916_TN.jpg38917_TN.jpg

39918_TN.jpg

• Like 2

On 14/02/2019 at 08:54, Techsnap said:

Takes me back a few years, it was the mid 90s I used to travel on them.  Memories of standing waiting for my lift up to Totland where I house sat.  And going in the post office, gift shop for a poke around while waiting.  

13 hours ago, hhvferry said:

A couple of pictures of the Cuthred as built. 

This is the lower lounge. Shipbuilding & Shipping Record commented that, "here it is possible that a claustrophobic effect could be obtained. There are no openings and considerable areas of anti-graffiti design plastic facings tend to give a restrictive feeling. The framed pictures on one bulkhead are rather inadequate to relieve the monotony". (They also assessed Cuthred as "not a handsome vessel" and that her builders accepted the order "at a price of £320,000 and... while non-committal as to whether a profit was made at this price, feel that the 'know-how' obtained made the project well worthwhile. They could certainly compete with a repeat ship providing the competition was realistic. This reflects considerable credit on a yard based at Lowestoft, an area which does not benefit from any concessions in UK selective employment tax".)

Really interesting stuff, thanks so much for that. The upper lounge definitely has a whiff of Sixties style about it, and I find it fascinating how much things have changed - ashtrays everywhere including the full length of the bar, asbestos insulation all over the place, a roll-call of manufacturers with solidly British names for every tiny item (doubtless mostly now defunct including the shipyard), and most of all the fact that the toilets simply discharged overboard! I can imagine the C-class also had the toilets dumping overboard - surely the Saints didn't/don't - but I wonder when this was redesigned? I think that would have been frowned upon if it was still happening when Cuthred left the Solent, let alone Wightlink still being allowed to do that in 2009 assuming the C-class was the same. Some redesigning must have taken place!

Also interesting that Richards the builders didn't appear to make a profit on her, but took the contract on as a learning exercise in the assumption that they would get the order for Caedmon et al. Didn't happen of course, that order went to Robb Caledon in Dundee, and from what I remember reading at a vastly inflated price since both the hard-up shipyard in Scotland (desperate for the money) and the customer (British Rail) were both publicly-owned. I bet the Lowestoft yard was pissed off!!

Edited by Pigeonrat

This is the lower lounge on one of the later three. From the website which offered them for sale after they'd finished service. I prefer the Cuthred :/

29195.jpg.6b4cb100e0794064fc925c53e7b88cbe.jpg

They would be grateful for those seats on red funnel on busy days .used to go in that lounge when I were a bit younger never no one down there .think there was only one door so that was why they banned .. 

1 hour ago, eagleeye said:

They would be grateful for those seats on red funnel on busy days .used to go in that lounge when I were a bit younger never no one down there .think there was only one door so that was why they banned .. 

Were all three ferries given yellow ones, I have memories of seeing a picture of Caedmon’s, and they looked a kind of orange.  Although it could have just been poor light, the ones towards the back look more orangey than yellow in this photo, so hers were probably yellow.  

Think I'm inclined to agree, Cuthred's ones at least look like they might be vaguely comfortable. The later ones have that look about them, like my barber's waiting chairs, that they might not be as bloody uncomfortable as they look because they are at least shaped. Then you sit on them and, actually, to be fair to them, you realise that they are bloody uncomfortable, yes.

Caedmon's were definitely yellow, as were Cenred's - Cenwulf's, as said, I don't know. Caedmon's might have appeared orange at the time if they were on fire, obviously, which did happen!

47 minutes ago, eagleeye said:

Caedmon seats were yellow if you look at 4.50 mins into the breaking video u can see them ..but it is difficult to watch 

Too chicken to watch those...😄