Sign in to follow this  
Doug

Cuthred (Mira Praia) Lots of photos

I recently discovered the site below, with a load of excellent photos showing the ex Cuthred from all angles (inside, on the bridge etc)

http://www.ptnauticmodel.net/album_paulo/thumbnails.php?album=19

Also check out a couple of the other ferries in the albums. Although they're not ex cross-Solent ferries, they look quite similar to some of the older ones don't they.:)

Re: Cuthred (Mira Praia) Lots of photos

Thanks for the photos. Great seeing her again. Does anyone know what has now happened to her? I heard she had stood down, but is she still in Setubal?

The last I heard was that whilst she had stood down from use as a car ferry, she was still being used for foot passengers only.

If I can find out anything further I'll let you know.:)

I recently discovered the site below, with a load of excellent photos showing the ex Cuthred from all angles (inside, on the bridge etc)

http://www.ptnauticmodel.net/album_paulo/thumbnails.php?album=19

Also check out a couple of the other ferries in the albums. Although they're not ex cross-Solent ferries, they look quite similar to some of the older ones don't they.:)

First there were Expresso and Rápido. Then Camber Queen joined them. A few years later Cuthred was a major breakthrough to join the fleet. 2 years later Gabriel Chobelet closed the cicle.

2009: only two ferries are operating, 60 cars, 500 pax each. Reaching about 12 knots, twice the older ones. New ferry terminal on Troia side, doubling the route lenght.

Did Fishbourne join them also, or did she go elsewhere? I've not heard anything of the sisters, other than that one of them sank on her moorings during a storm or something?

I've just done a bit more searching and have answered my own question!

I see that Fishbourne went to Turkey, and she was the one that was subsequently lost.

I don't know if Camber Queen (Mira Troia) still survives? I assume she doesn't.

Doug

Yes the Fishboure did sank when she broke from her moorings in Cyprus, during a storm that hit the area . I belive it was in Fermagassa? Excuss me if I got the name wrong. She was under the name Kebris 2 ?

Ian

Doug

If you are intrested about the history Fishboure car ferry service. There is a book called the Fishboure car ferry.

Ian

Cheers Ian. I've got the one on the Wightlink ferries in general, but the Fishbourne and Yarmouth books are next on my shopping list.:)

Hello

Often, I check the visitors list to see who is visiting my photoblog and I also try to understand the purpose of that visit.

That's why I found this Forum and I just become a member.

About 'Mira Praia', she stays alongside for almost one year at the some pier that was showed at photo.

So far there is anybody interested to buy any of those old ferry's.

I´m a Harbor Pilot at Setubal and as hobby I try to have nice photos from the surroundings of the beautiful bay.

Robin

Hello Robin and welcome to the forum!

Many thanks for the update.

The area around Setubal looks lovely!

Have you looked at some of the other threads on here, such as this one? http://forums.bfenthusiasts.com/showthread.php?t=6698 You will see on there photos of Mira Praia's near identical sisterships, which have just been retired from service.:)

This old ferry's are a small part of Setubal memories. The place they are now alongside is not a ordinary area for navigation. We have less than 20 vessels a year crossing that small channel only used to load heavy peaces from a factory. Now is not so easy to take new photos of them.

There is another photographer arround that takes photos of all the navigation on the harbour. The link for these ferry's - http://ships-boats-craft.blogspot.com/search/label/Mira%20Praia.

Hello

About 'Mira Praia', she stays alongside for almost one year at the some pier that was showed at photo.

Robin

I have just found this interesting Forum and this topic on the former Sealink "Cuthred" and I too can remember when in service in the Solent.

Earlier this year I did try to make contact with the owners to enquire about her future, but so far no responce from them.

Can anyone comfirm the "Mira Praia" is still laid up at Setubal at the present?.

Interestingly, there is to be feature on the "Mira Praia/Cuthred" in the next issue of EF&CS publication.

Hello

I´m a Harbor Pilot at Setubal and as hobby I try to have nice photos from the surroundings of the beautiful bay.

Robin

I was interested in reading these postings on this subject and wondered if the "Mira Praia" (ex Cuthred) is still laid up at that location?.

Have tried to contact the owners, but so far no reply.

I'm updating an old thread here but it's still relevant. I was just looking back at some C-Class stuff and I thought I'd have a look if Cuthred was still about.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/search/Setubal+Ferry/@38.4952077,-8.8378847,332m/data=!3m1!1e3

Google Maps in that area is 3D now & it's clear from the above link that yes, it's still laid up & afloat in the same location. Amazing really, must be rustier than the Caedmon was by now :P.

If you go into istreets/Street View of Setubal you can clearly see her sitting there.🙂

Yes, it's around 2 years ago though the Street View data.

I found a Flickr page which has the most recent images I can find of Mira Praia https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_...t=Mira%20Praia according to the data they were taken January 2015, it's a real shame that it has been left like that & it's probably good that the other C-Class got recycled rather than end up like Cuthred has.

I think there are a few people on the IOW who are hoping she could come back into service, and if they won the lottery would buy her. I don't do the lottery, but one of my "things to do" if I came into millions would be to repatriate Cuthred. OK, I think her service days ARE over, but I would like her to come home. Too late for the Cs but Cuthred is still about - just!!

I think there are a few people on the IOW who are hoping she could come back into service, and if they won the lottery would buy her. I don't do the lottery, but one of my "things to do" if I came into millions would be to repatriate Cuthred. OK, I think her service days ARE over, but I would like her to come home. Too late for the Cs but Cuthred is still about - just!!

That would be really cool but is she even for sale? (Though I'm sure anything is for the right price). I wonder if they would just let it go being in the state it's in as it must be costing them money to keep it around like that anyway. There is such a lack of information about it, it's completely different to when the C-Class were phased out over here, where thanks to a lot of good people on this forum, there was loads of information.

The funny thing is, parts of Cuthred still look to be in fairly good condition from the photographs. Looks like it's had it "easier" in Setubal for the past 26 years than it would have done staying in Portsmouth if Caedmon was anything to go by, but I guess we don't know in depth what kind of condition it's in.

It would be good though to have it back over here - the Prototype C-Class :). Especially if it was restored to it's original livery etc.

Yes, it's odd that there is little in the way of info about Cuthred. I suppose she wasn't even 20 years old when she left the UK so hadn't yet acquired "historical interest". I do know she was generally considered underpowered and unable to cope with bad weather - think the B.R equivalent of St Clare then, only with a bit of character I would imagine! - but there seem to be very few first-hand experiences of her. I always thought the way the lifeboats were set into the sides was a very space-wasting way of accomodating them, basically losing both stairwells from the later C-class. It would be good to bring her back but she does look quite far gone...sadly I think the chance to save a C would have been the Cenwulf really, and if the best-condition of the four was worth more as tin cans than as a ship I can't see any other outcome for Cuthred either.

There was a rumour going around that Cuthred was fitted with the engines from Camber Queen when the latter was scrapped. I don't know if that's true or not, but it would seem an odd decision given that those engines must have been less powerful than Cuthred's originals, which weren't really up to the job to start with. She was not blessed with the powerful Blackstones of the C-class and to make matters worse they had to generate the ship's electrical power as well. Unless there were some modifications it would seem bizarre to fit the engines from a much smaller ship!

I am going to dig out my IOW ferry books. I remember reading a fair bit about the change from Cuthred to Caedmon in one, more than in other books.