Sign in to follow this  
Doug

Cuthred (Mira Praia) Lots of photos

To update this thread further, I've done some more searching around on Google and have found a few more fairly recent images (October 2017).

There is a business right in front of where Mira Praia has been for the past 10 years or so called "BoatCenter". They have several images on their Google Maps page showing off their business.

360 degree image from the yard, you can see Mira Praia in the background:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/BoatCenter+-+Serviços+e+Actividades+Náuticas,+S.A./@38.4970538,-8.8366707,3a,57.6y,207.32h,99.69t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1sAF1QipM221HThOzGkP_B15W3pjocKkeV08lLyW9oNyy9!2e10!3e11!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipM221HThOzGkP_B15W3pjocKkeV08lLyW9oNyy9%3Dw203-h100-k-no-pi0-ya28.5-ro0-fo100!7i5660!8i2830!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0xd19430bd7b0847b:0x6faeac00247ac743!2sVertigem+Azul!8m2!3d38.5206413!4d-8.8970818!3m4!1s0xd1942a81e0a3149:0xf8004226f983c27!8m2!3d38.4962996!4d-8.8363445

You can see the masts, funnels and bridge behind the building:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/BoatCenter+-+Serviços+e+Actividades+Náuticas,+S.A./@38.496299,-8.836344,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipO_LcNATUadr6WE-ESqWn4vvJshEVysVSjvd-0P!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipO_LcNATUadr6WE-ESqWn4vvJshEVysVSjvd-0P%3Dw203-h202-k-no!7i1361!8i1356!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0xd19430bd7b0847b:0x6faeac00247ac743!2sVertigem+Azul!8m2!3d38.5206413!4d-8.8970818!3m4!1s0xd1942a81e0a3149:0xf8004226f983c27!8m2!3d38.4962996!4d-8.8363445

It doesn't look like any of the former Setubal ferries have anything to do with this company though.

Why are they not being scrapped. Perhaps a crowdfund for bringing her back (money from PS Ryde's failed project being transferred to a long servant of the island) could be set up. She was a 1 off so special in that sense.

It's very strange. On the Google Earth desktop application, there is the option to view historic imagery. The earliest time it shows Cuthred at that jetty is 24/05/2010 but in a different position. At some point between then and 25/05/2013 Cuthred was moved to the current location, the most recent imagery is from 30/08/2015. But there is 3D setting which I think may have been created at some point during 2016.

Somebody presumably must be paying for this arrangement. But I suppose both the jetty and the boats could be abandoned, however there are a lot of changes on the satellite imagery over the years, with many boats being added but not often removed. In the latest imagery it's all looking a bit crowded there now. Maybe someone is buying old ships with good intentions?

I wonder what kind of condition Cuthred is in now? Perhaps not Caedmon levels yet 😄

• Like 1

The last thing I heard was that they are not allowed to sell any of the old vessels due to some legal technicality.  So as far as I know, they are all still sitting there, gently rusting away.  I too would love to get her back to the south coast - even if only to be made into a luxury "houseboat".  She is fifty years old this year - the longest surviving Solent car ferry - and it would be great to have her around again.  

I'm going to look into getting out to Setubal later this summer, so will do a bit of noseying around while I'm there and update this site with any information that I can get

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, martijon said:

She is fifty years old this year - the longest surviving Solent car ferry - 

The Osborne Castle and, technically, the Balmoral would beg to differ 😉

3 hours ago, adicat said:

Why are they not being scrapped. Perhaps a crowdfund for bringing her back (money from PS Ryde's failed project being transferred to a long servant of the island) could be set up. She was a 1 off so special in that sense.

Maybe she's all that's holding up the jetty. Ed

3 hours ago, Techsnap said:

I wonder what kind of condition Cuthred is in now? Perhaps not Caedmon levels yet 😄

😂😂😂😂.  Always love, how Caedmon is such a favourite of the C girls, even though she was the state she was in.  Cuthred would bring joy to a lot of people if she returned, I don’t think many would give a monkeys about her condition, apart from pedants - and there are always those about...😉

I would personally like to see Cuthred as a floating cafe/restaurant somewhere, maybe turned into a kind of museum for the shipping heritage of the IOW.  She would have her uses..👍

I have sent an email to the boat centre asking them if they perhaps know anything. As it's not business related any reply will be a bonus 😊.

16 hours ago, Khaines said:

😂😂😂😂.  Always love, how Caedmon is such a favourite of the C girls, even though she was the state she was in.  Cuthred would bring joy to a lot of people if she returned, I don’t think many would give a monkeys about her condition, apart from pedants - and there are always those about...😉

I would personally like to see Cuthred as a floating cafe/restaurant somewhere, maybe turned into a kind of museum for the shipping heritage of the IOW.  She would have her uses..👍

Yes, though personally Cenwulf was my favourite but Caedmon just had such an eventful time it's simply not possible to not mention her on threads like this 😄.

It would be great to get Cuthred back though and would be interesting to do the odd Portsmouth-Fishbourne run, though I doubt that would be feasible given that apparently she has the Camber Queen engines now so surely would be even more under powered than before.

13 minutes ago, Techsnap said:

I have sent an email to the boat centre asking them if they perhaps know anything. As it's not business related any reply will be a bonus 😊.

Yes, though personally Cenwulf was my favourite but Caedmon just had such an eventful time it's simply not possible to not mention her on threads like this 😄.

It would be great to get Cuthred back though and would be interesting to do the odd Portsmouth-Fishbourne run, though I doubt that would be feasible given that apparently she has the Camber Queen engines now so surely would be even more under powered than before.

I think she would have to be static, would love to see her working again but I am realistic enough to guess this is highly unlikely.  If she could take being towed home then that would be a start.

4 hours ago, Techsnap said:

apparently she has the Camber Queen engines now so surely would be even more under powered than before.

Camber Queen was re-engined after she went to Setubal, and it is these that were transferred into Cuthred.  She is (was) actually a lot speedier than when she was on the Solent as a result, (if you stood on the quayside watching her, it was quite obvious) and when I was there, she was always right on the backside of the vessel in front of her.  Fortunately with 2 linkspans at each terminal it wasn't a problem - she often just slipped into which ever one was empty and started to unload while the other vessel finished loading.  This was sometimes impossible due to tide direction and strength, so she would simply wait off the berth until it was vacant

• Like 2

1 hour ago, martijon said:

Camber Queen was re-engined after she went to Setubal, and it is these that were transferred into Cuthred.  She is (was) actually a lot speedier than when she was on the Solent as a result, (if you stood on the quayside watching her, it was quite obvious) and when I was there, she was always right on the backside of the vessel in front of her.  Fortunately with 2 linkspans at each terminal it wasn't a problem - she often just slipped into which ever one was empty and started to unload while the other vessel finished loading.  This was sometimes impossible due to tide direction and strength, so she would simply wait off the berth until it was vacant

Interesting, thanks for clarifying this. Do you know of any other mods other than the removal of mezz decks? 

3 hours ago, Techsnap said:

Interesting, thanks for clarifying this. Do you know of any other mods other than the removal of mezz decks? 

Not really, but inside the central bar/buffet had been stripped out and replaced by ordinary hard plastic chairs.  The small lounge on the starboard side with it's soft bench seating had been treated the same, as had the former master's cabin, chief officer's cabin and the 2nd ladies toilets on the port side, which had only been put in when the mezz decks and open decks were added.  There was graffiti everywhere though, which gave the whole ship a very run-down feel.

I'll see if I can dig out some photos and post them - might take a while to find them though.

One thing that was interesting/worrying was that they were still parking vehicles four abreast on the car deck - including large Sprinter type vans.  It meant that the people in the vehicles were stuck inside them for the whole journey; not very reassuring if there had been a need to evacuate everyone in a hurry

• Like 1

Looks so familiar, you can definitely see the resemblance the C-Class had. Funny to think that the first prototype C-Class is now the only one in existence. I've never seen Cuthred\Mira Praia in person so if one day she does make it back over here, that would be brilliant.

Looks like me that the car deck is not as wide as it was on the other C's. Also it looks like there are windows which overlook the car deck, I'm pretty sure they weren't there on the other C's?

I'm wondering, are the stairs on the Cuthred accessed in the same was as the other C's as the area for the lifeboats are about where the stairs and shell doors would have been on the others. Also does Cuthred have the lower lounges under the car deck?

The boat centre have not responded to my email as yet but I'll post any updates here if any.

1 hour ago, Techsnap said:

Looks like me that the car deck is not as wide as it was on the other C's. Also it looks like there are windows which overlook the car deck, I'm pretty sure they weren't there on the other C's?

I'm wondering, are the stairs on the Cuthred accessed in the same was as the other C's as the area for the lifeboats are about where the stairs and shell doors would have been on the others. Also does Cuthred have the lower lounges under the car deck?

Let me try and answer these one by one:

The car deck is more or less the same width - in fact if anything I think it might be a couple of inches wider.  I know in her latter days on the Solent it was more common to put three coaches abreast on the Cuthred than it was the Caedmon.  Any difference though is negligible/

The windows overlooking the 2 side lounges were unique to Cuthred - they made quite a good viewing point when the vessel was loading up.  Even when the port side lounge was replaced by a second set of ladies loos the windows were retained, though obviously they were on the corridor side, not directly into the loos!!

The stairways were both at the stern end of the ship - Portsmouth end. They came up into the bar area at each corner, almost adjacent to the doors out on to the open deck

Yes, there are two lower lounges - as usual hardly ever used.  They had softer padded seats in them, the same as in the side deck lounges, rather than the hard plastic found on the later vessels.  One was furnished in orange seats, the other in green I believe. When she ran in Portugal, these were closed off to the public and used for storage.  They were also much less well-lit than on the C-class - very dark and dingy, which was handy if you wanted a quick sleep during the crossing

Hope that helps - I'm still trying to find the photos I took when on her in Portugal; as soon as I get them, I will post them

• Like 2

Cuthred was long gone before I was taking any notice too (I was four when Cecilia replaced her and may have travelled on her, but certainly wouldn't have been able to differentiate between her and the other Cs), so can't recall her layout. I do seem to remember reading that the stairs were in a very different position to her later sisters to account for the lifeboat well, a requirement that had presumably been dropped in favour of inflatable rafts between 1969 and 1973.

I would never have predicted in a million years either that the most flawed C-class outlived her more thoroughly engineered younger sisters, certainly not by ten years and counting! Having said that, I would bet that Caedmon, Cenwulf and Cenred all clocked up much higher mileages than Cuthred has, and in a more arduous environment too, so perhaps it's no surprise...

It's a pity she wouldn't fit up the River Lea to my house, would be very handy to take more than one car to the IOW with the added bonus of avoiding the M25!

Edited by Pigeonrat

Thanks @martijon very useful information! I guess it's just the poor resolution of the video which gave the impression of the car deck being narrower. Also the C's had some mods by Wightlink didn't they? Stairs etc. onto the sun deck which probably gave the impression of things being a bit more grand so to speak. The windows sound interesting but were they not somewhat obscured once the mezz deck went in?

I would never have predicted in a million years either that the most flawed C-class outlived her more thoroughly engineered younger sisters, certainly not by ten years and counting! Having said that, I would bet that Caedmon, Cenwulf and Cenred all clocked up much higher mileages than Cuthred has, and in a more arduous environment too, so perhaps it's no surprise...

No, it seems unbelievable really, especially when out of any of them, I always thought Cenwulf would be the one still running. Presumably Cuthred had just as much a rough time as Caedmon did initially yet seemed to be a bit better for it if the few photos and videos from Setubal are anything to go by.

Deck plans of Cuthred showing the layout.  Photographed a page from John Faulkner’s book so hope it is ok to post here without breaching copyright issues.  

A7F5CB9E-E957-4661-8F26-78BC04609C0F.jpeg

Edited by Khaines

Interesting, many similarities but also many differences. There seems to be a lot more going on in the engine rooms on the later C's. Looking at the original decks in the plans for Cuthred, it makes you wonder if adding a mezz deck and a full sun deck didn't help the problems with speed on Cuthred. It's a shame that there are no interior shots of Cuthred from before Setubal.

I've heard nothing back from the Boat Centre so I don't think this will happen. Atlantic ferries gave me the contact details for APSS (Who own Mira Praia etc.) and I have sent them an email.

Does anywhere know where Rapido originates from? Apparently she also came from the UK but I can't find much information.

Edited by Techsnap

Two of the other TransSado ferries are just up along the coast:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Setúbal,+Portugal/@38.4929752,-8.8301871,96m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0xd194307e49642f1:0xeabefa3d424489ab!8m2!3d38.5254047!4d-8.8941

Some photos from an urbex group:

http://www.lugaresesquecidos.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=948&hilit=mira+praia&sid=e490fab3aa7f9677b9db79e12eb28c90&start=10#p4221

I know it's not particularly relevant but I've been doing some research in the hopes of coming closer to finding out what's going on with Cuthred. Interesting how two of the ships were effectively just abandoned on a beach whereas the others are moored on the jetty. Probably doesn't mean anything though.

Good luck with APSS, would be interesting to find out. Would be great if they let someone walk around her and take some pics - and if it is safe to do so, sit out on the sundecks.  Would be an amazing feeling I guess, one would never imagine that one would be still able to walk round the Cs.  I think writing to people and asking is a good idea, worth it even if one does not get a reply.  

Also interesting are the urbex pictures, I follow urbex pages and although great photos, it is always bettee when one gets permission to look around places, it takes away the looking over one’a shoulder feeling that you are going to be jumped by a security bod, and can concentrate on having a good old poke around in your one’s time.