Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

adicat

Spirit of The Tyne and how they do it different like

As I mentioned in another thread my wife and I had a week in newcastle Upon Tyne last week and had a wonderful Real Ale time as well as doing the Hadrian's Wall and Beamish Museum bits as well. Crossing the Tyne on the Spirit of the Tyne I was amazed at the different health and safety compared to the Gosport Ferries. The ships of course are the same build (ish) except the SOTT has a middle loading hydraulic ramp. When they berth, she sits for 10 minutes with just the Voith's holding her to the landing pontoon, no ropes are deployed like Gosport. It seems somewhat dangerous as if the engines failed the ship would be washed down the river may be whilst someone boarding. How come H&S is so different for what is for all intents and purposes the same type of service?

Re: Spirit of The Tyne and how they do it different like

the ropes at Gosport are kept slack, if you look you can see that the Gosport ferries are kept there by their propulsion system aswell. (it's not voiths AFAIK)

But the ropes are still there as a backup on the Gosport Ferry. Sounds sensible to me...

The guy onboard said they were Voiths. Have to look at the build spec.

The guy onboard said they were Voiths. Have to look at the build spec.

Someone recently posted a picture on another thread here of one of the Gosport ferries out of the water (at Marchwood?) - clearly showing an azimuthing propeller front and back.

the picture shows the older ferry's on the Gosport ferry service (or Portsmouth ferry if you wanted to be like that) these are not voiths, however, maybe all the spirits are voith?