Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Doug

'W' Class, first day with all three

Wight Sun officially entered service for the first time today, making this the first day with all three ships serving the route.

I made a return crossing from Lymington on Wight Sun

A few pics.... (sorry, I can't get the thumbnails to work on my pc.)

Picture132-2-1.jpg

Picture135-3.jpg

Picture146-1.jpg

Picture153-2.jpg

Picture156-2.jpg

Picture165-1.jpg

Picture166-1.jpg

Apart from a slight delay off Yarmouth, waiting for the other ferry to vacate the berth, all seemed to run smoothly on my crossings.

Something that I did notice (and chuckle at), was that I saw people trying to sit down at the little clusters of four seats with a table, but I couldn't understand at first, why they shuffled about and seemingly couldn't get comfortable, and then got up and walked off......

Picture167-1.jpg

...then I realized that the seats were so close together that you could not get more than one person (adults at least) to be able to sit straight, as opposed to sideways.:D!......

Picture169-1.jpg

Apart from that amusing observation, a pleasant and uneventful round trip!

Re: 'W' Class, first day with all three

I travelled over from Lymington on Wight Sky on Friday night and have to say that I too was impressed with the new ferries, although they seem to take a huge amount of time to unload and load, even at Yarmouth where passengers can disembark from the side.

Nevertheless, this afternoon, on a day when they were running a two ferry service, they still found the time to get the hose reel out and give Wight Sky a quick clean ....

About the time spent on docking... Isn't this a bit much?..

Are the new ones that way too?

Worst than above are the new ones that replaced Cuthred, among others:

The docking system is tricky. Used to watch Cuthred approaching these seem sluggish on the approach/docking... The advantage are the large ramps that allow 2 cars running parallel. Great time savers indeed...

That's something that I don't get... why so narrow linkspans on the Wightlink ferries? 8-) No money for other things than new ferries while keeping the infrastructures?

Pedro

Portsmouth's trouble is the sharp turn for cars to get round onto the linkspan if they are in lanes 1-10 and also when they double deck trying to move high vehicles out the way. It all goes a bit wrong on a double hence why most Saturday's in Summer they run late.