Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest ResignedUser

MEP calls for big ferry halt

Guest ResignedUser

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/mep-calls-for-big-ferry-halt-26397.aspx

EURO MP Dr Caroline Lucas has sailed into stormy waters over calls for the new Wightlink ferries between Yarmouth and Lymington to be halted.

Although she stressed she did not want to see the route closed, the Green Party European Parliament member for the South East has made a formal complaint to the European Commission against the UK, claiming it has failed to meet its obligations to protect environmentally sensitive areas of the Lymington river.

In a letter to the commission, Dr Lucas said: “The UK authorities have allowed Wightlink to introduce the commerical operation of large, W-class ferries between Lymington and Yarmouth in the knowledge damage has already been caused by the previous, C-class ferries.”

She urged the commission to look at the concerns of Natural England, “potentially with a view to ordering the UK authorities to halt the operation of ferries damaging this Natura 2000 site”.

Dr Lucas said it would not be impossible to use ferries which were less damaging and in the meantime the old ferries could be drafted in.

But Yarmouth businessman Laurence Mitchell said: “Wight-link has bought these ferries and is operating them. There is no way it is going to buy three more ferries.

“Ferries between Lymington and Yarmouth are essential to the survival of thousands of people in the West Wight and their businesses.”

Julia Bridgeman, chairman of Yarmouth Business Association, added: “The introduction of the new ferries has been an absolute mess and this move doesn’t look as if it’s going to resolve the situation.

“If this really can lead to the ferries being stopped, that definitely gives us great cause for concern.”

Wightlink did not wish to comment.

Re: MEP calls for big ferry halt

Sounds like someone concerned about the possible rammifications of a gravy train being removed following the trough feeding revelations and is being "seen" to be "doing something/anything".

Is that a bandwagon I hear coming along ? Is there an election due ? Does anyone think a few protest votes might be up for grabs ? Am I a cynic ?

Is that a bandwagon I hear coming along ? Is there an election due ? Does anyone think a few protest votes might be up for grabs ? Am I a cynic ?

I think like me more of a realist Craig.

From her website:

PROFESSIONAL BACKGROUND

Research and policy analysis on trade, development, and environment issues for a major UK development agency.

Now there's a surprise:D!

List of her 'Career' for want of a better word. Typical of a modern politician of course.

BA (First Class Hons.) English Literature, Exeter University (1980-1983); scholarship, University of Kansas (1983-1984). Diploma in Journalism (1987). Ph.D. (English and Women's Studies), University of Exeter (1985-1989). National press officer, Green Party (1987-1989). With Oxfam: press officer (1989-1991); communications officer, Asia Desk (1991-1994); policy adviser on trade and the environment (1994-1997); team leader for trade and investment (1998-1999). With UKGovernment: Policy adviser on trade and investment, Department for International Development (1997-1998).

All the attendance records for all MEPs are available on links form here. I suggest you look up hers and make your own mind up on whether any of them are worth it.

.... has anyone got a big bat? i mean, like, a REALLY BIG BAT? its getting boring now , and i for one would like to line these people up and start practise my bat swinging... before the baseball season starts!

This MEP is living in cloud cukoo land. These ferries have been tried and tested. Even they been flimed as well. They are suited for the route. They won,t cause any damage to the enviroment at Lymington. They had been disigned specificly for the route has well. And she said she don,t want to see the route close as well. But what Wightlink had said before that the C class are over 36 years old and these ferries don,t last for life. There is times when ferries have to be replaced. And with the W class you are only talking about just under 3 metres longer then the C class. I wonder if any one remember the DEPV Faringford? I wonder because of the location of the paddle wheels she did more damage then the Voith Schneider propellers? Because of the banks of the river. I could be wrong.