Sign in to follow this  
sealynx

STENA LINE: Stena Discovery & Stena Explorer sold

Re: Stena Discovery & Explorer sold

It will be sad to see the HSS 'experiment' coming to an end.

Whispers on the net seem to think that HSC Explorer is to travel up to hold the North Irish Sea crossing, and HSC Voyager might be sold off to Albamar.

I suppose that the Stena are probably looking at the condition of the vessels, and will keep the better of the two.

If this happens it'll be interesting to see what happens in terms of Dun Laoghaire port, It's probably the best location for a port in Dublin, and has great transport links into the Capital.

Regards,

Matt,

Albamar's CEO told me that they will buy the Explorer, not the voyager

If this happens it'll be interesting to see what happens in terms of Dun Laoghaire port, It's probably the best location for a port in Dublin, and has great transport links into the Capital.

However the yatch club have never been very fond of the HSS (or ferries in general), also, yes Dún Laoghaire is ok for public transport, but there is a reason everything moved to Dublin Port over the years, there is very little money to be made from foot passangers, and driving to Dublin from Dún Laoghaire (infact, driving from anywhere to Dún Laoghaire) takes ages during the day...The Alexandria Road terminals have the port tunnel linking them to the M50, and the rest of the country. If Stena moved everything to Dublin I would make sense, but would be sad to see the end of ferry operations from there.

There are very good reasons for yotties not liking catamaran type ferries. They leave big holes in the water which yachts fall into with potentially catasrophic results. Even in the Solent, the wash from a Wightlink Fastcat could give you a good shaking, not to mention soaking. I seem to remember that a few years ago a sailor in Poole harbour drowned after he was pitched out of his anchored yacht when a fast ferry went by. Conventional ferries don't cause the same problems.

...... I seem to remember that a few years ago a sailor in Poole harbour drowned after he was pitched out of his anchored yacht when a fast ferry went by. Conventional ferries don't cause the same problems.

My memory may be imperfect but I don't recall such an incident in Poole Harbour. What I do remember is an occurrence of this nature happening off Felixstowe. That involved the HSS and the victim was an angler in a small boat, I believe. There was also something very similar in the Bay of Fundy between the USA and Canada. I would have thought such events were unlikely in restricted waters such as Poole Harbour where very definite speed limits apply. Certainly the wash from these fast craft is out of all proportion to their size. The new, Persian/Arabian Gulf, owners of the British Columbian Pacificats are hoping the long routes over deep water they are proposing to deploy them on will not cause the problems they caused in British Columbia. I say "they" but, in fact, only one actually entered service, I believe, to be swiftly withdrawn and all three have since been in lay-up for ten years.

I'm sure it did happen, sometime in the late 1990s as I remember thinking that we had visited the harbour only shortly beforehand.

Yes it's true about the fisherman drowning off Felixstowe. Stena vigourously denied any involvement but they were forced to amend their approach course and to slow down earlier.

Anyone heard of any likely changes to the Dublin / Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead timetable for 2010 yet?

Will be interested to see the passenger volumes for Dun Laoghaire this year. Didn't make any trips this year with Stena the timings were so inconvenient.

Anyone heard of any likely changes to the Dublin / Dun Laoghaire to Holyhead timetable for 2010 yet?

Loads are down something like 24% from what I hear...

Loads are down something like 24% from what I hear...

I s'pose they'll be happy with that given a 50% reduction in sailings year on year.

Would also be interesting to know how many passengers have moved over to the Swift / moved to other Stena services / not travelled because of the recession, but that's probably harder to quantify.

In an internal Q&A session Stena said that neither the STENA VOYAGER nor STENA EXPLORER were sold.

But they will be, Albamar seems to be in conversations for buying those TWO... Kind of crazy, I thought they would buy only one more

But they will be, Albamar seems to be in conversations for buying those TWO... Kind of crazy, I thought they would buy only one more

I wouldn't doubt it - as with any of these things what they do say is one thing, what they actually say is quite something else...

Talk around Rosslare is the Stena Lynx III will operate a fast ferry service on the Holyhead route in 2010 and no fast ferry service will operate on the Rosslare-Fishguard route next year.

Well there's certainly no mention of a fast ferry service out of Rosslare for 2010, just the slow ferry.

With Belfast also down at least 2 HSS trips next year, the hot money has to be on a smaller boat for Dun Laoghaire.

Which, out of the Lynx and the Carisma would require least reconstruction work for the link-spans?

Well there's certainly no mention of a fast ferry service out of Rosslare for 2010, just the slow ferry.

With Belfast also down at least 2 HSS trips next year, the hot money has to be on a smaller boat for Dun Laoghaire.

Which, out of the Lynx and the Carisma would require least reconstruction work for the link-spans?

The Lynx as both the Lynx spans (for the past lynx's) are still in place.The Holyhead one is in daily use by Irish ferries Dublin swift

The one in Dun Laoghaire is still there and has undergone servicing in the last few months… They have not done that for no reason!

It seems the Explorer's last day of operation is indeed 5/1/10. I understand that a meeting will take place this week to determine which vessel will take over.

Hopefully it will provide a schedule rather better than this year's.

You'd think they'd be marketing its last days heavily to fill it up - or maybe they just want to let it slip away into the night...

Elsewhere on the web you can see that Dun Laoghaire harbour realise they are not going to ever get the kind of lucrative contract that Stena have been locked into again and are looking diversify their portfolio by looking for other / additional potential suiters.