Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CyberMatt

Fastcat runs aground?

Got a Facebook message from a friend of mine last night (Sat) around 6pm saying she was on the Fastcat "stuck on a sandbank" for over an hour. Anyone hear about this?

Re: Fastcat runs aground?

I visited the Isle Of Wight in early June and sailed on most of the routes during my visit.

On two of my crossings we had near misses.

Entering Cowes the Red Eagle had to quickly alter course to avoid collision.

later the same day the Solent Express had to quickly reduce speed to avoid a speed boat.

Have other members had similar experiences?

Just got off the Shanklin. She doesn't seem any off worse for her little trip up on Ryde sands! Surprised she's back in service so quickly.

Yes, it happens quite frequently.

The captains/commanders do an impressive job during Cowes Week - it's like Round the Island but all day, every day for seven days.

Recently though a yacht got beached at the entrance to the hoverport at Southsea and stopped the hovercraft from running whilst they had to get it moved on the next tide.

Last August we boarded one of the Red Ferries at Cowes and just before departing a yatch came down the Medina river past the floating bridge and got caught up in the strong outgoing tide. The skipper did it's vey best to avoid us but eventually got jammed under the skirting on the forward port side of the ferry.

It was quickly released with the help of the deck staff and we sailed for Southampton. The tide currents appear to be very strong for small craft at times near the floating bridge.

The tide currents appear to be very strong for small craft at times near the floating bridge.

The floating bridge has to be powered up and manned all night (normally stops around midnight and starts around 6am) to stop it dragging on its chains or floating out. Hence why it makes an operating loss every year.

The floating bridge has to be powered up and manned all night (normally stops around midnight and starts around 6am) to stop it dragging on its chains or floating out. Hence why it makes an operating loss every year.

Given that it provides an essential service between both sides of Cowes, can the council not come up with a few million to upgrade the system? OK - I understand and appreciate the fact that the economy isn't exactly in the best state, but surely it's an investment worth looking at in some depth?

M

Given that it provides an essential service between both sides of Cowes, can the council not come up with a few million to upgrade the system? OK - I understand and appreciate the fact that the economy isn't exactly in the best state, but surely it's an investment worth looking at in some depth?

Is it like the Woolwich ferry, in that it has to be provided free for foot passengers? If not, they could look into charging foot passengers slightly less than the bus fare via Newport (just during Cowes Week) - that alone might be enough to prop it up financially 8-)