Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

marbow

Wight Ryders ride in

The BBC Georgia sailed into Portsmouth Harbour at about 08.10 this morning with the two new Wightlink Wight Ryder catamarans aboard. The vessel is now moored at the Continental Ferryport Berth 2 where the vessels are being offloaded.

Re: Wight Ryders ride in

Certainly better proportioned than Our Lady Pamela/Patricia, though IMHO not a patch on the Red Jets (or the wonderful hydrofoils they replaced). I don't suppose there are any interior shots yet - I wonder who on here is going to be the first to try them?(H)

Wight Ryder I photos attached. The Wight Ryder II was being put in the water just as Bretagne was departing this evening.

without trying to sound like a fanboy (!) they do look smart... the only improvement i can think of would be galloping maggot livery :D!, anybody fancy doing a mock up?

Good find, although i still think that Wightlink should have specified a faster service speed then they did, they are about to lose a LOT of custom IMO to hovertravel, especially now the Hoverbus is a proven reliable service.

How fast are the Wight Ryders, are they going to be much slower? Seems a bit going backwards if they are going to make the crossing time longer...

22 knots service speed, 25 knots max. Probably won't make much difference to the shore to shore times in practice, especially if the loading/unloading arrangements are better as is claimed.

Maybe, but it is still 12 knots slower the the Fastcats,

Might not make much difference...

How have the unloading arrangements been improved?

wider linkspans, meaning more people can board the vessel at one time. and i was under the impression service speed was 20kts at 85% so max speed would be 22kts? on marine traffic it shows the Fastcats very rarely go about 30 knots, but they are always around 26-28 knots...

I don't think the speed will be an issue at all. No matter how fast your craft, you are subject to the (10kt?) speed limit when in the swashway entering Portsmouth harbour, so your Fast Cat can only be "fast" for a distance of approximately 3.5 miles between Ryde Pier and the harbour channel.

Using my trusty fag packet I calculate that at 20 knots it takes about 9 and a half minutes to cover this distance; at 30 knots (a speed not often achieved by Shanklin and Ryde, and basically never by Pam and Patricia) the same journey takes about 6 and a half minutes.

So the journey time with Wight Ryders 1 & 2 will be only 3 minutes longer.

I would imagine the fuel savings, however, will be very significant.

Also, Wightlink have implied that these vessels are more seaworthy in rougher conditions (although there's no detail about that) - but with the improvements to the berthing positioon at Ryde Pier, poor weather cancellations are apparently going to be greatly reduced.

Unloading was a bit of a problem. They were welded to the deck of BBC Georgia but ran out of a certain substence despite having months to make sure they had this ready for the "unwelding". Took 5 hours or so to find a tube of whatever it was apparently.

Both out today running sea trials. Noticed WRII doing 24 knots on AIS. I photographed one leaving (pic on website). The upper deck has fwd facing bench seats which may dispel any doubts as to whether or not that deck would be open.

Just noticed WR I doing 25.3 knots.

It is certainly a route that because of speed restrictions for 50% of the crossing gives rise to the question as to whether you really do need fast crafts at all.

If they can run 2 boats on a half hour service matching trains at each end then at the end of the day whats 15 minutes to 20/21 minutes. Are our lives so hectic that the few minutes are that important.

I got some photos of the Wight Ryders from the Gosport ferry today (with one of the current fleet for comparison). They're quite a lot more boxy than the artist's impression suggests! Does anyone know the fate of Ryde and Shanklin yet?

I got some photos of the Wight Ryders from the Gosport ferry today (with one of the current fleet for comparison). They're quite a lot more boxy than the artist's impression suggests! Does anyone know the fate of Ryde and Shanklin yet?

They look better from the front :)

The only thing I've heard about Ryde and Shanklin is this story about their potential use on routes across the Bristol Channel between North Devon and South Wales:

http://www.northdevongazette.co.uk/northdevongazette/news/story.aspx?brand=NDGOnline&category=news&tBrand=devon24&tCategory=newsndga&itemid=DEED01%20Jul%202009%2011%3A19%3A08%3A033

It must be pretty rough there quite often, so I'm not sure how they'd cope in practice. Journey times would be significantly longer than across The Solent too of course.

Rumour also that one of the newbies has engine problems. Not sure how true this is!

Rumour also that one of the newbies has engine problems. Not sure how true this is!

Engines often take settling in/adjustment...

The date being mooted is 21 September.

That was quoted in the Isle of Wight press so must be reasonably reliable and given by Wightlink.