Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Ferry Man

Wightlink Offer terms query

Hi all,

Was looking into a trip over to the Isle of Wight, and found a 2 for 1 deal on the Wightlink page.

I was hoping to travel on the FastCats before thye go, but the terms have confused me slightly:

One of the terms:

Available from Yarmouth, Lymington, Fishbourne, Portsmouth Harbour and Ryde Pier only

Fair enough, I wanted to go from Portsmouth

Then on another line:

Travel is excluded on journeys originating from Portsmouth Gunwharf

??

But it said just now Portsmouth Harbour was fine, and since foot passengers don't travel on the Car Ferries?

Re: Wightlink Offer terms query

Hi all,

Was looking into a trip over to the Isle of Wight, and found a 2 for 1 deal on the Wightlink page.

I was hoping to travel on the FastCats before thye go, but the terms have confused me slightly:

One of the terms:

Available from Yarmouth, Lymington, Fishbourne, Portsmouth Harbour and Ryde Pier only

Fair enough, I wanted to go from Portsmouth

Then on another line:

Travel is excluded on journeys originating from Portsmouth Gunwharf

??

But it said just now Portsmouth Harbour was fine, and since foot passengers don't travel on the Car Ferries?

Gunwharf is the car ferry terminal. Portsmouth Harbour is the FastCat. However it is still ambiguous from the other side, seeing as Fishbourne can only be reached from Portsmouth Gunwharf Road on the car ferry (which do take foot passengers or did last time I used them).

I see. Thanks very much

I assumed that Gunwharf was the Foot Passenger part. I never realised though that the (Portsmouth) Car Ferries accepted footies,

Many Thanks

I see. Thanks very much

I assumed that Gunwharf was the Foot Passenger part. I never realised though that the (Portsmouth) Car Ferries accepted footies,

Many Thanks

They do indeed, although you'd need a short walk and a bus the other side for anything of merit. There is a pub adjacent to the terminal but on my last few visits it seems to have gone downhill.

They do indeed, although you'd need a short walk and a bus the other side for anything of merit. There is a pub adjacent to the terminal but on my last few visits it seems to have gone downhill.

And by all accounts is unpredictable when it opens...there is a good pub in Fishbourne but a bit of a walk.

looks like a nice pint of Stella though!!!

It was, and I needed it. We'd just discovered a serious leak in the transom which had almost filled the cockpit lockers!

The Sllop in do a very good value Carvery Mon-Sat at £3.50 per person £2.00 for kids. Stuff yourself silly on meats, yorkshires, stuffing balls and veg at tatties. Do a couple of real ales as well but not anything magic sadly when i was last there. Green King IPA or Ringwood Best. Just over the wootton bridge on the right. Fishbourne inn was no good as they don't serve food until 1800 and by then we are getting to the end of the day and thinking of going home as most things of interest close at 1700 and then you want a pub and grub. Recommend the Sloop. Nice garden area by the water's edge as well. Be prepared for it to be bust around 1700/1730 through.

Hi, Also, does the Wightlink Ryde service still include a free rail connection from the pier to Ryde itself?

Not that I'm aware of anymore... however, you do of course take your chances of having your ticket checked in the minute of going down the pier to the town.