Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forbesy

"Norman Arrow" arrives Portsmouth

Hi all,

QHM got it right - "Norman Arrow" made her debut in Portsmouth today at about a quarter to two. Considering it's December, *and* what the weather has been like around here recently, there was plenty of light [1], so the pictures came out reasonably well. Apologies for the fact that they're not as crisp as I'd have liked them to be - it was very cold on the Round Tower, is was shivering, and forgot to turn the anti-shake feature on. Still - yet another "first" for me :)

Anyway - here's a pick of them - enjoy!

M

[EDIT - Forgot that I screengrabbed her first ever appearance on the solent AIS site - one for the die-hard historians, perhaps? See attached]

[1] - A little too much light, as the sun emerged from behind a cloud, just as she was about to enter the harbour mouth (second picture)

Re: "Norman Arrow" arrives Portsmouth

She will probably set sail before Christmas as LD will change their minds!!!

Nice pics, cannot believe I missed her as I was around the Camber at the time.

She will probably set sail before Christmas as LD will change their minds!!!

Leaving tomorrow according to QHM - Time to be confirmed.

M

She is very open at the back is it the same during normal operations?

Yes! I saw her depart Dover for Boulogne from one of the upper decks of the multi-storeys in the Eastern Docks and the absence of any kind of closure at the stern was very obvious, particularly as it was dark and everything was illuminated. I don't know if they plan to use some kind of curtain for the longer crossing between Portsmouth and Le Havre. I suppose the explanation for this is that the watertight integrity of the vessel is guaranteed by the twin hulls of the catamaran design which are sealed and subdivided. The vehicle deck is just a platform built across and connecting the two.

Could she have stopped at Newhaven to carry out berthing trials?

Could she have stopped at Newhaven to carry out berthing trials?

Being honest, I don't think she actually entered the port at NH - she certainly seemed to be heading there at 0930 (on a more-or-less 0-degree course) , but by just gone 1045, she'd altered direction and was heading towards here. I stand to be corrected (especially if there's anyone from Newhaven or LDA reading this), but given the time between the updates on the AIS feed I was monitoring, I'd be very surprised if she'd entered Sandbank City, docked and left again.

She was extremely slow on approach to Portsmouth - certainly slower than NEx usually runs (only to be expected - not sure if the Captain 'knows' Portsmouth, nor if there was a pilot on board or not), and given the restricted entrance and harbour in the Sussex port, I think my (above) assumption to be correct.

However, given the direction of her approach (certainly seemed to have done the correct thing, crossing the lanes at 90-degrees), perhaps they were 'route learning' for when she's swapped onto the Dieppe station to release 'Sept Soeurs' for a refit? (Here starts a rumour - totally unfounded, but it seems that LDA are becoming "Masters of Surprise" on their Channel routes - so I won't be at all surprised to see it happen in the New Year!

[*])

M

[*] - You read it here first... ;)

Apologies for the fact that they're not as crisp as I'd have liked them to be - it was very cold on the Round Tower, is was shivering, and forgot to turn the anti-shake feature on. Still - yet another "first" for me :)
Nice one Matt, you finally made it to the tower for a maiden! :D!

There is a photo of the Norman Arrow berthed in Newhaven this morning on the Dover ferry site, so she did visit, albeit briefly.

Nice one Matt, you finally made it to the tower for a maiden! :D!

Erm - "Normandie", "Barfleur", "Norman Spirit", "Pont L'Abbe", "Celtic Mist" (hahahahaha), "Norman Voyager", and now "Arrow". OK - I missed "Cotentin" in '07, but I blame that on Orange - I know you tried to forewarn me.... ;)

There is a photo of the Norman Arrow berthed in Newhaven this morning on the Dover ferry site, so she did visit, albeit briefly.

Really? Must check that out - must have been some slick operating on behalf of the 'Bloke up Front' and whoever's in charge of Newhaven - fair play!

All well with Andy, I hope?

M

Erm - "Normandie", "Barfleur", "Norman Spirit", "Pont L'Abbe", "Celtic Mist" (hahahahaha), "Norman Voyager", and now "Arrow". OK - I missed "Cotentin" in '07, but I blame that on Orange - I know you tried to forewarn me.... ;)
Oh, don't forget the "Fortuny" debacle!
All well with Andy, I hope?
Its almost Christmas... big kid... lovely! :D! Likewise I hope.

Just had a thought - did "MSM" visit Portsmouth before her maiden from Ouistreham? If not, I've got prints of her arriving on the first (revenue) sailing from Ouistreham from Clarence Pier, where I jumped in a taxi up to the CFP for the first saling from Portsmouth - so that's *another* 'first'!

M

(Still a 'first', even if she had pulled in previously - 'first' service out of PCF, if nothing else - and I was on the thing ...!)

Oh, don't forget the "Fortuny" debacle!

Thank you sir - I *knew* there was another one in there somewhere! I do believe you were on that, were you not?

Its almost Christmas... big kid... lovely! :D! Likewise I hope.

Look - you're male. Therefore you'll always be a big kid - the same as every other bloke on the planet.

(And anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves!)

M

(Wandered off-topic again. Ho-hum. Transferring conversation to IM....)

Just had a thought - did "MSM" visit Portsmouth before her maiden from Ouistreham? If not, I've got prints of her arriving on the first (revenue) sailing from Ouistreham from Clarence Pier, where I jumped in a taxi up to the CFP for the first saling from Portsmouth - so that's *another* 'first'!
Yeah she did, about a week before she entered service. Her first commercial arrival into Pompey was at 2130 - in the dark and in thick fog too!

Yeah she did, about a week before she entered service. Her first commercial arrival into Pompey was at 2130 - in the dark and in thick fog too!

S'right - I was outside the S&W (*slightly* better light!) - the 'phots weren't that good, but at least it was a "first in service" - and I was certainly on the the first 'in-service' off Portsmouth.

S'right - I was outside the S&W (*slightly* better light!) - the 'phots weren't that good, but at least it was a "first in service" - and I was certainly on the the first 'in-service' off Portsmouth.
Ah yes, I remember now... ;)

Oh, don't forget the "Fortuny" debacle! QUOTE]

I'm not sure debacle is quite the right word to describe what happened. I thought the suspicion was at the time when Acciona Trasmediterranea pulled the plug on their Portsmouth-Bilbao service with FORTUNY, they'd launched it on the assumption P&O would be ending their service with PRIDE OF BILBAO as soon as the then current charter expired. As this didn't happen and the charter was renewed, AT saw no point in continuing and abruptly ended it. There was criticism in Spain of AT, I believe, that they were mismanaging the operation as they'd done the same thing with a Mediterranean route. A bit like LD Lines, I suppose, if it ain't working, axe it! However, they did say, "We may be back!" Thus it will be interesting to see what happens with the P&O service and, who knows, maybe AT will be back.

Oh, don't forget the "Fortuny" debacle! QUOTE]

I'm not sure debacle is quite the right word to describe what happened. I thought the suspicion was at the time when Acciona Trasmediterranea pulled the plug on their Portsmouth-Bilbao service with FORTUNY, they'd launched it on the assumption P&O would be ending their service with PRIDE OF BILBAO as soon as the then current charter expired.

That may have been the plan, but "Fortuny" was also a little unFORTUNatelY (awful joke - © me 2006) detained overnight.

(Or longer? can't remember the details, and the reports are on the backup drive, and can't be bothered to get dressed and go and get it just now).

Anyway, the scheduled first trip out never occurred. The first 'earning' trip was the one that I shot. I think :S

M.