Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NormandieLad

La Cité de la Mer

For me it has to be the La Cité de la Mer with the submarine Le Redoutable which is the biggest submarine open to the public in the world and the 11m high aquarium.

It is close to the ferry terminal on the site of the old transatlantic railway terminal. It costs 15.5 Euro for Adults and 10.5 Euro for 5-17 year olds.

Allow at least 4 hours IMHO it is very different to the likes of Seaworld Centres and suchlike in the UK.

http://www.citedelamer.com/uk/

Re: La Cité de la Mer

Resurrecting an old thread because I have been to this place recently and totally forgot to add it in this section. Obviously no need to start a new thread, but to agree with everything in above post, absolutely amazing, worth a day trip over just to go there! (which I am planning!) The large 11 meter aquarium is astounding, takes your breath away, and the other aquariums include many different species including seahorses and one tank full of white jellyfish which is very surreal.

Redoutable - excellent, really interesting, some steep stairs which need careful descending - and not really good to descend laden with bags!! Up close and personal with the weaponry, and gives a great insight to how people lived on board. You are given hand held phone like things which you listen to as you go along, you don't have a guide or anything, you just womble through listening to this device.

Lots of interactive stuff, artifacts and submersibles hanging everywhere - including Nautile and other Ifremer equipment. (wondering if this Nautile is the real one or a replica though) Loads of screens everywhere and there is also an 'Into the depths' attraction which I didn't go on but is to do with what it is like going down into the ocean depths. Job for next time, that one. You really do need the best part of a day for this place, but it is well worth it.

Whilst in La Cité don't miss 'On a marché sous la mer'. This opened last year and is a really 'different' experience. On the face of it, it is a collection of interactive 'experiences' - simulator, moving floor, flashing lights etc, not unlike some of the stuff you find in Disneyland. But on exit you find you have all along been on the most recent expedition run by Capitaine Glass. You sit down to watch a video show of the documentary they have been filming - which includes live action of you shot whilst you were going around the attraction. So the simple simulator ride (very enjoyable on its own) becomes part of the documentary showing how you navigated through a pod of whales. Brilliant - take the kids!!!

Absolutely agree, you need at least 4 hours to do the place justice. It's almost worth a day trip alone.

I'm planning on going back on the 9th hopefully, as when I get back from Gatteville and Barfleur, may have a couple of hours to kill and have asked to be dropped back there, if only for a bite to eat in the fooderie, and there a couple of things in the gift shop I want to go back for that I wished I'd bought last time. Time allowing I may well do the simulator. I want to get a handful of leaflets to give out, as so far I have several friends who want to visit after seeing my pics, so the more the merrier!

The retired nuclear submarine Le Redoutable is well worth a tour whilst you're there. I wasn't very keen on the crew's "loo" arrangements, though 8-)

(L)

The retired nuclear submarine Le Redoutable is well worth a tour whilst you're there. I wasn't very keen on the crew's "loo" arrangements, though 8-)

I went round her - excellent, although there was a very steep ladder to go down nearer the end of the tour which gave me a bit of an "oh dear" moment, although "oh dear" isn't exactly what I said... And I lost track of the commentary on my handpiece and gave up on it!! Were the sparrows still flitting about in the main building, chirpy little things.

Maybe, but along with everything else the whole attraction has to offer it is an excellent place to visit. Tell you what, you could tell the English families from the French ones, the English always have the noisiest kids!!

Maybe, but along with everything else the whole attraction has to offer it is an excellent place to visit. Tell you what, you could tell the English families from the French ones, the English always have the noisiest kids!!

Brigitte, I'm not denegrating Cite de la Mer but, in Gosport, you also have the Diving Museum, the Hovercraft Museum and 'Explosion' (the history of Naval Armament). You should come and visit (I'll provide transport from Fareham station).

add. I forgot the Royal Armory at Fort Nelson.

Brigitte, I'm not denegrating Cite de la Mer but, in Gosport, you also have the Diving Museum, the Hovercraft Museum and 'Explosion' (the history of Naval Armament). You should come and visit (I'll provide transport from Fareham station).

prfd, I remember seeing a very early small submarine on a lo-loader which made an overnight stop in the car park at Ringwood on its way to Gosport for restoration. It must be 20 odd years ago now, any idea what it was and if you do know, has it been restored and put on display?

No problems PRFD, may take you up on that offer one day!! I am trying to persuade a friend to come further afield than around bournemouth, so maybe we will pop up in the near future. It is somewhere I would find interesting.

Alan for you :)

Thanks Christophe - I rest my case! Something pretty hot has been down that one, or maybe it's right on top of the reactor 8-)

Actually, it was the 'barn doors' that bothered me... :$

Pat, I'm not denegrating Gosport (enjoyed working there for back-awhile), but the title of this thread is "Things to do in... Cherbourg" ;)

Mind you, the title has never prevented severe thread-drift on the Barfleur forums... (L)

Barfleur is a sort of Forum Black Hole. Everything else seems to be drawn inexorably into her orbit....8-)

Only to be ejected into some other parallel universe in another dimension. I bet the recipients are pleased.(L)