Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flossie

Barfleur

A twenty to thirty minute drive eastwards will take you to the picturesque harbour of Barfleur. There are some interesting places to dine and it's pleasant to stroll along the quayside and watch fishing boats come in with their catch. Locals queue to buy straight from the boats. A sign at the outlet to the sea proclaims that William the Conqueror sailed from here for England in 1066.

Re: Barfleur

Barfleur also has a market on Saturday and events in the summer .

I think it is one of the nicest places I have been and well worth a visit.

Pictures are

1. early morning fishing, 2.road sign on harbour road, 3. tide out in harbour, 4.tide in, 5.inside church at the end of the harbour.

Nearby, Gatteville Phare is one of the highest lighthouses in France. It's open to the public at certain times - if you feel like a climb!

I am glad I looked here. Just hired out the Rough Guide to Brittany and Normandy and spotted the piece on that. 365 steps, a climb indeed. How long does it take to get there from Cherbourg? The book says 25 km, what is that in miles?

Talking of lighthouses, the book mentions L'Aber-Wrac'h in Brittany which has a 50 km beam that overlaps with it's 'opposite number in the Isle of Wight'. Interesting to know!

If I'm going to be doing day trips, then hopefully I'm going to have enough time ashore to be able to get there.

Hi all

Hello everyone.. Just joined this forum. My name is Dean actually. I was born in Mass, and moved to Berwick Maine when I was three. Thirty six years old and currently reside in Plano Dallas. Been A Sox fan all my life. Grew up watching Wade Boggs, Dewey Evans who where my favorites back then. Just here looking to talk Sox, and say hello to everybody. Keep smiling, Dean from fast money website!

Barfleur is lovely. We used to sail there in the 70's and 80's. In fact, Barfleur is where I was on the day Elvis Presley died!

I've climbed the lighthouse a few times. A long old climb, but wow, what a view from the top!

I think it is one of the nicest places I have been and well worth a visit.

Me too Christophe. In fact I was there 30 hours ago, going through on our way to St. Vaast, ~ because the other half needed to ~ go that is! 8-)

She says the public toilet is the most clean, modern and easy to use she's ever 'been' in. So you'll be OK Khaines! See below pic!

attachment.php?attachmentid=7428&stc=1&d=1300108524

We have those electronic loos near here - guess who pressed the SOS button by accident instead of the loo roll button....8-) Well, they were pretty adjacent to each other!!! Made a hasty exit.......(L)

Is it worth people taking their own loo roll - the equivalent to those toilets here you only get one square, unless you keep your finger on the button for an eternity to make it dispense a decent bit.

I would imagine that black screen area is kept pretty clean - would imagine something like that in town here would soon hum to high heaven! Bit like the alleyway near me on a Sunday morning.....

Is it worth people taking their own loo roll - the equivalent to those toilets here you only get one square............

I would imagine that black screen area is kept pretty clean - would imagine something like that in town here would soon hum to high heaven! Bit like the alleyway near me on a Sunday morning.....

Always worth taking your own loo roll to France Khaines, no matter where you go. Even hotels use miniscule sized loo paper, let alone public toilets. (L) (Hint: My other half buys the 'Boots' Travel Loo Paper, comes in a sealed handbag size roll. A bit like the proverbial 'wet-wipes'.)

The black screen area (green actually) is kept spotlessly clean. A lady that lives pretty close to the loo cleans it very regularly. There is a sort of soak-away that doesn't show up too well in the picture.

When using that type of toilet read the instructions very carefully or else you might end up in the dark and having a "shower".

There is one opposite the launderette I regularly use - they are meant to shower after use, once I went in there and for some reason it hadn't self cleaned after the previous occupant and let's just say solid matter, and a large one at that, was perched ON the pan at the back, so the shower missed that! Luckily the nearby cafe let me use theirs. Lost me 20p in the autoloo....

There is one opposite the launderette I regularly use - they are meant to shower after use, once I went in there and for some reason it hadn't self cleaned after the previous occupant and let's just say solid matter, and a large one at that, was perched ON the pan at the back, so the shower missed that! Luckily the nearby cafe let me use theirs. Lost me 20p in the autoloo....

Too much information for this time in the morning Khaines ~ especially over bacon & eggs! (L)

Guest Kernow

Talking of lighthouses, the book mentions L'Aber-Wrac'h in Brittany which has a 50 km beam that overlaps with it's 'opposite number in the Isle of Wight'.

Slight problem with the geography here. Isle of Wight is nowhere near Brittany... Aber-Wrac'h must be about 200 miles from the IOW. Think I've read before the beam of Créac'h Lighthouse on Ushant is supposed to overlap with that of the Lizard. Ile Vierge light near L'Aber Wrac'h has a 30 mile beam and could conceivably meet the Lizard beam halfway.

The book I read it in is the Rough Guide to Brittany and Normandy, page 138, they may well have got it wrong, but online it says that the Aber is 50 km, still not long enough one would think.... I was just going by the book.

The Barfleur and St Catherine's lighthouse beams would overlap in clear visibility.

Gatteville and st Catherine Point may overlap in exceptinal conditions - or is that what you meant by Barfleur?

Gatteville and st Catherine Point may overlap in exceptinal conditions - or is that what you meant by Barfleur?

Only if the distance between them is less than 56 nautical miles.