Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flossie

Barfleur

Re: Barfleur

A lot will depend on how high you are above sea level. The helicopter deck of a ferry gives quite a bit more range than the deck of a yacht.

Who gives a monkey's? Is it that important that the world might come to a stand-still if the beams do or don't cross?

What has it got to do with being in Barfleur anyway? Should this discussion not be in it's own thread guys? Like, "Did Anyone Sit Up All Night to see........?" *-)

She says the public toilet is the most clean, modern and easy to use she's ever 'been' in.

Things have certainly moved on in Barfleur, with regards to loos, since I was last there!

There used to be a horrible, grotty public toilet block, with those old 'squat thrust' toilets as we used to call them!(L)

I haven't got any recent pics, as I've not been there since c1981, but from some very recent pics that my parents took, it seems unchanged, with even the old 'Cafe de France' still being there, complete with its yellow and black tiled facade.

Here are some old pics of mine, the first one showing our family boat, alongside the quay wall during our 1977 visit.

The other two pics, are of course of the Gatteville lighthouse, and the view from the top of it!

img009-1.jpg

img342.jpg

img345.jpg

:)

Things have certainly moved on in Barfleur, with regards to loos, since I was last there!

There used to be a horrible, grotty public toilet block, with those old 'squat thrust' toilets as we used to call them!(L)

I haven't got any recent pics, as I've not been there since c1981, but from some very recent pics that my parents took, it seems unchanged, with even the old 'Cafe de France' still being there, complete with its yellow and black tiled facade.:)

You ought to try and get back there Doug, you wont recognise the place. The grotty toilet block has gone and the Café de France has had a 'face-lift'. It now has the dreaded 'decking' outside, right across the frontage and protrudes somewhat out onto the road where once upon a time you could park. It's complete with wheelchair access. The same lovely lady still owns it.

I've got some recent pics, but do you think I can find them? I'm back there April, I'll take some specific pics for you.

Cheers Greg!

I will make a point of going back. We really loved the place, in fact my parents very nearly bought a house there at one stage.

I loved the 'Barfleur Bells' as we used to call them, when twice a day the church bells would sound for three or four minutes. A lovely 'haunting' sound, and I recall they would sound for quite a bit longer every Sunday.

I had completely forgotten about that lady at the cafe!:D

I remember, when we did night crossings of the Channel, that we would usually see the loom of the lighthouse from about the halfway point, and the excitment would start, as the lighthouse seemingly lured us safely across, and into Barfleur!

I'm getting all nostalgic now!(L)

Cheers Greg!

I will make a point of going back. We really loved the place, in fact my parents very nearly bought a house there at one stage.

I loved the 'Barfleur Bells' as we used to call them, when twice a day the church bells would sound for three or four minutes. A lovely 'haunting' sound, and I recall they would sound for quite a bit longer every Sunday.

I had completely forgotten about that lady at the cafe!:D

I remember, when we did night crossings of the Channel, that we would usually see the loom of the lighthouse from about the halfway point, and the excitment would start, as the lighthouse seemingly lured us safely across, and into Barfleur!

I'm getting all nostalgic now!(L)

Oh the bells Doug, I could sit and listen to them until the Café de France opened, but you can now sit outside ~ on the new decking ~ with a glass of course and a plate of grilled sardines, straight off the boat, eh?

You might like to know that the church is having a facelift/clean-up, covered in scaffolding last time I was there, but still a lovely spot to be. I'm hungry now! 8-)

Just found this Doug, thought you might find it interesting? Note the scaffolding against the church. I'll look out more for you.

Cheers for now, I'm off for a pint. Greg

Thanks for the pic Greg! Yes, I can just see the scaffolding on the church!

I look forward to trying out the new deckng outside the Cafe de France, with a glass and some sardines, like you mention!

I also have memories of the Station de Sauvetage. I believe the old lifeboat is now retired, and is a permanent exhibit in its old station? I remember the maroons (or should I say siren) going off from time to time, and running along to the boathouse, to see the lifeboat being released down the slipway. I also used to love watching it being recovered, at the next high water. I particularly remember the old two cylinder, slow reving Baudouin winch engine, thumping away as it slowly hauled the lifeboat back up the slipway on its trolley! :)

Thanks for the pic Greg! Yes, I can just see the scaffolding on the church!

I look forward to trying out the new deckng outside the Cafe de France, with a glass and some sardines, like you mention!

I also have memories of the Station de Sauvetage.

Whenever you get there Doug, you'll enjoy! I'll think of you on Tuesday 5th April, we're meeting friends there for lunch.

The new lifeboat is the "Admiral Tourville", I'm not sure if she's kept in the station, she's nearly always tied up 'alongside' when we've been there recently. I'll try and get more details in a couple of weeks.

More pics. attached to re-kindle memories. They are about 3-4 years old though.

Some more great photos, Greg and Christophe!

I look forward to hearing about your trip in due course, Greg.:)

Here is a pic of us camping in Barfleur, in 1978. We were 'between boats' that year, hence us going 'by road' for a change!

Note the Cafe de France is visible in the background.

My folks tell me that the campsite is long gone. Shame, I really enjoyed that holiday!

Barfleur1978.jpg

:)

I rather cherish an improbable retro moment in the Cafe de France last September whilst drinking a cup of chocolate prior to facing the 365 steps of the Phare de Gatteville. A rather jolie mam'selle was bustling around changing the menus on the blackboards when a mechanical commotion started just out of sight. This proved to be caused by a 2CV driven by a man wearing a beret (about as common in France now as bowler hats and umbrellas are in London). As he hove into sight the cafe radio started playing Jane Birkin singing "Je t'aime"! Time stood still.

Hope you catch this posting Doug. Attached are a couple of recent pics taken in Barfleur on Tuesday (5th). Note the now cleaned up stonework of the church. Café de France is as popular as it has always been ~ although the pictures were taken before the crowd arrived.

It was still a little hazy as the sun hadn't quite broken through. It turned out to be a very warm week though.

Great pics Greg, thanks for posting them! The church really looks smart, doesn't it.(H)

It sounds like you had a good visit!

When I get a chance I'll pop a couple more up, that my dad took in the 70s.:)

I'm just going over this thread again - as I am sorely tempted to go over to Barfleur and the lighthouse, I must do those steps, then a plate of moules in Barfleur afterwards as a reward for ticking off another ambition. Transport is a bit iffy from Cherbourg unless you get a taxi, which I guess is pretty expensive but will be worth the expense for the experience. I have this earmarked for the next trip hopefully.

Thanks for that Alan - going to print that out. I think I'd need the overnight sailing back leaving Cherbourg 22.30, possibly getting the fast service into Cherbourg by 10.30 in the morning. Would then give plenty of time to get to Barfleur and Gatteville. And plenty of time to rest my flippin' legs - cos they will be no doubt killing me, so a cabin will be essential. If i've done those steps, my legs will need a good night's kip!

.......... If I've done those steps, my legs will need a good night's kip!

Oh yes they will Brigitte. No one told you that there is no bus to the lighthouse? It's about a three mile walk there (from Barfleur), then comes the 365 steps, practically straight up ~ and then the walk back!!! Enjoy the experience though. 8-)

P.S. It's the wrong time of year for mussels, unless they're imported. Try the sardines in the Café de France (on the left toward the church), fresh right off the boat! I can reccomend them! (K)

From looking at the timetable the bus stops at the lighthouse. Having read literature that says it is a half hour walk from Barfleur and seeing pics of it taken from Barfleur, I thought that it looked miles away and this, kinda made me think of alternate ways, although at a push I'd walk there but bus/cab back. Having done Jacobs Ladder in Cheddar in my teens, I feel the same pull of temptation, even if I pay physically for days after!(L)

Btw - those sardines will be most welcome!

The coastal path from Barfleur to the lighthouse is a very attractive walk. Following the path south of the town is even better - there are some beautiful beaches (although the sea is noticeably cooler, er colder, than on 'our' beaches on the west coast of la Manche, which benefits from the Gulf Stream).

Seems quite a nice walk to have - I do a lot of beach walks here, hopefully will be doing some of the Dorset coastline in the next couple of months!

From looking at the timetable the bus stops at the lighthouse............. !

Sorry to be the bringer of sad news Brigitte but, the bus does not go to the lighthouse (unless they've bought a mini-bus (L)). It stops at the village, Gatteville le Phare, and it's just short of a mile walk to the lighthouse. Take care in the village as they are "re-designing" the square to accommodate more parking spaces ~ and a larger bus stop, loads of holes and devices for tripping up pedestrians.

The road to the lighthouse, as you will find out, is just about wide enough for a camper van but not a bus. Please take care when you do actually get to walk down the road, traffic (or the drivers of same) can be very unconcerned about walkers.

I will email you a large-scale map of the area ~ it wont be too fussy ~ just roads and footpaths that you might like to follow.