Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Flossie

Barfleur

Re: Barfleur

Looks like a taxi may be the order of the day, hehe!!

Thanks for that, Greg.

You're very welcome Brigitte. Anything to help a 'first-timer'! (K)

BTW, when is it you actually do it for the first time ~ leave these shores I mean? 8-)

Just got back from Cherbourg tonight!! The lighthouse is going to be one of the next couple of trips!

Just got back from Cherbourg tonight!! The lighthouse is going to be one of the next couple of trips!

Shame you didn't get to climb the lighthouse Brigitte, did you get the bus to Barfleur for your sardines though? Probably tight for time, eh?

I thought you might be being a bit adventurous for your first trip. Think about trying to make it a little longer trip next time. You'll be pleased if you can.

I'm very glad you got to your beloved McDonalds for a 'French' nibble 8-) and enjoyed (some of) the sights of Cherbourg.

Time was tight, Greg, I suppose - is that the Gatteville you see flashing on the way into Cherbourg, on the approach Saturday morning I could see a red flashing and guessed it might be!! Sardines will have to wait until the next visit - as you said I think that would have been a little too much on one day, I stayed pretty close to the port and went to the Cite and poked around Cherbourg. Must do that hill too!!

I've dug out a couple more scans of my dad's slides, from 1976, on what I think was our first walk to the lighthouse, the first pic being a view looking back at Barfleur.

img931.jpg

img933.jpg

:)

They are great pics Doug - within the near future I'll try and take pics from the same spots! Walking to the lighthouse from Barfleur do you HAVE to walk on the beach or is there a footpath? I'm trying to tempt Mum into coming along at present, although I think she may find the walk a bit difficult.

Great pictures indeed, Doug. Your dad's slides have survived a lot better than mine (probably been stored in 'ideal' conditions?). Can I please ask what device you used to scan them? - the results are excellent. (Presumably, that's 'Little Doug' in the second picture!)

Brigitte, the coastal path (which continues not far from Doug's dad's 1st shot taken on the harbour wall) whilst very scenic, is only to be recommended for those of good walking ability - good opportunities for turning ankles, for example. Also, as Greg has said, it's a fair stretch from Barfleur to the lighthouse. The only alternative to the 'sentier littoral' is to use the highway (which follows the coast back to Cherbourg); it can get quite busy with traffic, particularly during the holiday months, and I'd hesitate to recommend it for your mum.

Great to hear you finally overcame the passport formalities and completed your first round trip. Hope you gave our love to the Barfleur :D!

Hi Alan. I'm glad you like the pics. My dad will be chuffed!

I will have to ask him, but I think he still has an Epson Perfection scanner. I may be wrong, as he upgraded a while back, but I'll check the exact details.

When he's scanned his slides, he then sharpens the images through Photoshop or similar, and that certainly makes a difference.

With regard to storing his slides, I think he just stores them in a bedroom cupboard. There's definitely some slight deterioration on some of them, but most do indeed seem to have stood the test of time very well!

I'm no expert, but I think the wrong thing to do is to store photos and films in the loft, where they are subjected to sometimes extreme variables in temperature?

I do seem to recall that walk being quite a long one. If I remember correctly, somewhere along that trail there is a stone or plaque, dedicated to a vicar or a fallen soldier? It's been many years since I was last there!

The kid you mention in that photo is one of my older brothers.

Another view from the top (taken by my dad). That scruffy urchin in the picture is me!(L)

img934Correction.jpg

:)

Another great view of the north coast of La Manche; certainly worth the climb.

I shall be very interested to hear how your dad achieves these results, particularly taking account of the limited file size available for uploading pix to the Forums. The colour rendition is excellent. I've experimented with ION slide/neg scanners (from Maplin) with so-so results (I also have an Epson scanner). Presumably your dad uses the slide gadget in the scanner's lid; I'm interested to know what resolution he scans at? I use PaintShop Pro (poor man's Photoshop!) to tinker with the scanned images; it does pretty-much everything that Photoshop will do, at an affordable price!

Many of my early slides (mid-60s onwards) were taken in wierd places like Sierra Leone and Peru, where humidity was a big problem. They've also gone round the world a couple of times, and not always been treated with the TLC they deserve :$ resulting in the dreaded mildew.

Regards to your dad, I'm impressed!

Thanks for your comments Alan!

I have Photoshop on my old pc - want it on this laptop, but think it might play silly beggars, this is an Acer Aspire 5530G, and is around 2 years old and playing up already, so Photoshop....hmmmmmmmm.

That is an amazing view - fantastic stuff, looks so beautiful.

Hi Alan,

Yes, my dad's machine does indeed have the slide gadget in the lid. I'll try and find out the resolution he scans at, too.

I can understand the problems you had, travelling the world whilst trying to keep the mildew off them!

Khaines, yes that view is fantastic isn't it! I can remember stepping out at the top, after that long climb, and having my breath taken away with the sight that greeted me!