Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PHIL

"duchesse anne"

Re: "duchesse anne"

A fine looking vessel, obviously never suffered a P&O maintenance schedule.

Here's a photo of her I took during the summer of 2006.

She looks to be in excellent condition - so nice to see an old BF ship enjoying continued service and being well maintained. I only crossed on her once (well twice as it was Poole-St Malo and then on to Cork) so don't remember her interior that well. All my memories of her are shore-based and tarnished by the fact she was a pig to load but that was possibly more to do with the reservations department constantly failing to appreciate that cars were getting bigger !

and a decent ship with access up front..they don't build em like that anymore.:'(

and a decent ship with access up front..they don't build em like that anymore.:'(
You can get 'up front' on the Pont-Aven, either on the promenade deck (though it's not as good as it was) or on top of the bridge.

Must try her out then. She's never on the Portsmouth run when I can do a quick round trip. I always seem to be booked up over those weekends.

You can get 'up front' on the Pont-Aven, either on the promenade deck (though it's not as good as it was) or on top of the bridge.

What have they done to it?

What have they done to it?
`Since the windows caved-in during the freak wave incident, the forward area only has fish-tank style portholes to look through.

She looks to be in excellent condition - so nice to see an old BF ship enjoying continued service and being well maintained.

She is looked after but my what a horrible ship. I sailed on her in September, she's like a floating prison with tiny cabin windows in the public spaces instead of real windows. And not a flat or straight piece of deck anywhere. Lots of BF stuff still aboard, including the shops and recliner lounges, but certainly not a ship I'd want to sail on again despite the nice outside decks.

Not quite the same as what we've been used to though Andy - if you get my meaning - (and I'm sure you do :()

PHIL

She looks to be in excellent condition - so nice to see an old BF ship enjoying continued service and being well maintained. I only crossed on her once (well twice as it was Poole-St Malo and then on to Cork) so don't remember her interior that well. All my memories of her are shore-based and tarnished by the fact she was a pig to load but that was possibly more to do with the reservations department constantly failing to appreciate that cars were getting bigger !

Am I right in thinking she is the only BF ship that ever served the port she was built in?

I remember once, to get from Poole to Plymouth I travelled Poole-St Malo-Cork-Roscoff-Plymouth on DA.

She is looked after but my what a horrible ship. I sailed on her in September, she's like a floating prison with tiny cabin windows in the public spaces instead of real windows. And not a flat or straight piece of deck anywhere. Lots of BF stuff still aboard, including the shops and recliner lounges, but certainly not a ship I'd want to sail on again despite the nice outside decks.

Is it just an impression or has she been poorly put together? She doesn't look straight on the pictures and the camber isn't regular enough to suggest it has been made on purpose.

Am I right in thinking she is the only BF ship that ever served the port she was built in?

Hmmm - you might well be right. I'll dig through the files, but I think you're on to a winner on that.

Nice!

M.