Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Phil K

"Little Darlings" again.

I know this topic has been touched upon before, but I came across this just now and wanted other's opinions on it too.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/wales/3623618.stm

The article relates to a crying child and parent being asked to leave a bus due to causing a distraction to the driver, and upsetting other passengers.

In general, I agree. If I were driving the bus I probably would have done the same, albeit a bit more diplomatically than has been 'reported'. However I do live in the London Transport area, so busses are ten a penny so it wouldn't hurt to wait for the next, and hopefully calm the child down while we were waiting. However this is Wales, so maybe, and probably is the case, the buses are not as frequent.

I also wish to reply to the comment about people listening to music when they are driving. Sure, I do, but if it distracts me, I turn it off. So I suppose all the driver is doing in this case is turning off the distraction.

I do not hate kids as such, what I do hate is children who are allowed to annoy others, while parents are oblivious to it, and those that use the term "its a phase".

OO er - said a lot more than I thought I would! :D:D:D:D

Re: "Little Darlings" again.

I do not deny the fact that I don't particularly like children, so I don't blame the driver for having had enough of the kid's bawling. When you are driving, it is very easy to get distracted and the constant bellyaching of a small kid is a very distracting noise.

What does annoy me is those people who have children thinking they have a god-given right to do what they like at the expense of the comfort and convenience of others - parents also have such a self-righteous attitude as well.

I don't mind nice quiet kids who do as they're told and don't annoy the rest of us, but ones who scream and run about are a nuisance, and the parents who do nothing to stop them even more so. Just because someone has kids, it doesn't give them the right to inflict the children on the rest of us.

In short I think the driver - who has his passengers and other road users to consider - was well within his rights.

very well said Faith, as i said a week ago you could get an electric cge and put them in, that would keep them quiet! one touch and they would soon get the idea!

I think the driver was right.

I do not understand the parents of those kids, they should pretty well take care that they have control over their prats. To have children does also include to teach them to behave in public. That includes to shut up when in the bus and in the car, too. I think of my own childhood and it was one of the mail rules - not to make noise and distraction in the car, not speak when others have a conversation. I wonder, if most parents have forgotten about such rules, which do nothing than make the life more convenient for just anyone of us ?

I visited Eastleigh College this afternoon to find out about a course. In front of me at reception was a woman (girl, more like) with a small kid - no more than two years old - in tow. This kid was running round causing mayhem and sticking his fingers where they shouldn't go while the girl - who was presumably his mother - ignored him, or laughed, despite the security blokes repeatedly telling her to control him.

I asked her is she was going to go and get the kid or just continue to let him be a pain, but she didn't give a toss. She eventually decided to pick him up, but only after he'd annoyed just about everyone else. I don't blame the kid - college reception areas are hardly the most interesting places for small children - but that woman needed a shake and reminding of her responsibilities.

Responsibility, that in fact is the problem many parents have. To have a kid brings alot of responsibility with, and I think if you decide to bring up a kid better think before doing something. But especially young mothers don´t seem to care, as well here as in the UK I did see.

BTW I remember an announcement onboard the Pride of Portsmouth "Please do take care of your children and not let them run around as this could be dangerous ! ! !".

It is the first time I heard that kind of announcement on a ferry but I am glad that just ONCE one did dare and to mention the problem literally ! They are in need of announcements like that as well on the Calais-Dover route. Would make life easier for all passengers and remind parents in their responsibility.

I remember my classtrip to London when we got told "not to leave the seats - no matter what happens!" I found that pretty tough, perhaps too tough but I think during the time there was a different idea about how to behave in public than now, even it was not long ago, just in 1987.

Your attitudes will change when you have kids !

Strangely enough most parents can hear their kids crying and it's not easy being somewhere with a crying child knowing that everyone else is thinking "will he ever be quiet and why can't the parents control them"..

That's why I like ferries for the family holiday - our lads don't generally cry for no reason but at least on a ferry you have space.. on a plane it would be fierce hard to calm them. You should remember that there is no magic button that stops a child crying or running or talking or... if there was parents would have found it by now and God knows we have all looked for it !

There are sitauations where parents seems to have let the children get out of control but in most cases the aprents are just as fervently wishing for calmness to return and feeling that everyone around is agin you doesn't help...

I do not have a own kid but every now and then I have to take care of a kid, and of course at home one can do so and so but behaviour in public areas is something else. Setting up rules what not to do - also on ferries before going on a trip makes all much more easy. As well there is a rule not to touch certain things. But it seems most parents are too lazy and ignorant to bother the confrontation of setting up rules and they rather let their kids do and go and mess about. Don´t know, how it can be a problem for some to teach their about 4-year old kids NOT to touch the food on the buffet with their fingers. Even they see that, they did not interfere. That makes me wonder about the society sometimes.

Don´t know, how it can be a problem for some to teach their about 4-year old kids NOT to touch the food on the buffet with their fingers. Even they see that, they did not interfere. That makes me wonder about the society sometimes.

Ugh ! Then again one can see adults touching food on the buffet - probably because their parents never told them not to...thankfully my lads know by now not to handle food unless it's their own..

Your attitudes will change when you have kids !

Strangely enough most parents can hear their kids crying and it's not easy being somewhere with a crying child knowing that everyone else is thinking "will he ever be quiet and why can't the parents control them"..

That's why I like ferries for the family holiday - our lads don't generally cry for no reason but at least on a ferry you have space.. on a plane it would be fierce hard to calm them. You should remember that there is no magic button that stops a child crying or running or talking or... if there was parents would have found it by now and God knows we have all looked for it !

There are sitauations where parents seems to have let the children get out of control but in most cases the aprents are just as fervently wishing for calmness to return and feeling that everyone around is agin you doesn't help...

I wish those with small children would get a cabin, so at least when the kids start kicking off they can remove them down to the cabin away from everyone else.

Not all parents are bad - same as the kids aren't really bad - but there are a good few who think that just because they have kids they can inflict them on everyone else and do nothing to control them.

I travel to the Isle of Wight every so often - via Red Funnel - as my mum and aunt live over there, and on the ferries there are announcements asking parents to keep control of their children and not let them run round the ship - announcements that sadly, do get ignored. I've seen crew rounding up unruly brats as the parents are oblivious to the annoyance their kids are causing the rest of us.

I was a kid once - yes, I know it's hard to believe for those that know me! - and I was no little angel, but my grandmother (who brought me and my sister up) did exercise discipline and we were not allowed to kick up merry hell in public and certainly not allowed to run round in public places such as ships or shops or anywhere else, except in the surrounding countryside or the garden at home.

I have two small nephews, one aged three and the other 15 months and my sister does a brilliant job of looking after them and exercising the right amount of discipline and they are two smashing little boys. Ok, they have their moments, but they are very well behaved and conduct themselves properly in public.

Some of the problem could stem from the fact that children have a lot less freedom than people my age (mid thirties) did when we were kids - I spent all my time out in the woods and fields or on the beach, if not in the garden. Kids these days don't have that degree of freedom, due in part to parent's understandable, it has to be said, paranoia over perceived dangers such as traffic or perverts.

By the way, Des, no kids for me. I'll let someone else overpopulate the earth.;)

YEs, of course not all kids and not all parents are bad, but those who behave you do not notice just those who give hell to others.

I think freedom or not, depends on where you grow up. More to do for kids in the countryside or in small towns, where you do have big parks and playgrounds to go as well as some more dangerous places - what been still quite tempting to play at, without parent´s notice.

In my experience it helps alot, to talk to the kid BEFORE going to town/restaurant etc. to avoid the misbehaviour :D :D

Some of the problem could stem from the fact that children have a lot less freedom than people my age (mid thirties) did when we were kids - I spent all my time out in the woods and fields or on the beach, if not in the garden. Kids these days don't have that degree of freedom, due in part to parent's understandable, it has to be said, paranoia over perceived dangers such as traffic or perverts.

By the way, Des, no kids for me. I'll let someone else overpopulate the earth.;)

That certainly has an impact - we were only talking at home the other day about how much more freedom we had as kids - out and about from one end of the day to another - now you drive the kids to friends, make arrangements to meet/collect..and Lord knows if they got up to the stunts we did we'd have heart attacks :-)

That certainly has an impact - we were only talking at home the other day about how much more freedom we had as kids - out and about from one end of the day to another - now you drive the kids to friends, make arrangements to meet/collect..and Lord knows if they got up to the stunts we did we'd have heart attacks :-)

When I was a kid we'd vanish for a whole day and no-one would worry. I, and my friends, would also climb trees and occasionally fall out of them, too and again, our parents or guardians would not worry. Nowadays if a kid falls from a tree, people would be yelling for it to be cut down and threatening anyone and everyone with legal action.

I think such is normal, and should be for kids. Same as here, going to the big park and river, and play there whole day. Often it has been a problem when I´ve stolen a packet of nails so we could do us a tree-house or the idea that I take the steaks out of the fridge and we did a fire and grill them on that - of course it meant trouble with parents and as well when coming back with ragged cloths and full of mud when fell in the river. I think, such things are just ordinary and should be so, and places like forests, big parks and such, are made for kids. But as well I remember, my sister and me got tought to shut up when in public places, or at least not causing public annoyance and not cause a "scene" in a shop or so. And this is something, many parents nowadays are not doing.

But as well I remember, my sister and me got tought to shut up when in public places, or at least not causing public annoyance and not cause a "scene" in a shop or so. And this is something, many parents nowadays are not doing.

Exactly, parents often do not bother even attempting to curb their little brats' behaviour.

I found it very annoying when I was returning to Cork from Roscoff in July, that there must have been about 30 to 40 announcements asking parents to look for little Johnny, or I can't find my little Timmy, so its all BF's fault. I think if they are brought on a ship, the parents should mind them, and if they don't want to, then they should have gotten a cabin for them-day sailing or not. It's very annoying for a bing bong booh to blare through the whole ship in the middle of a rest when the information desk one comes on with yet another "Little Darling" after running away.

When we used to go to the Channel Islands, my parents always got a cabin on Havelet. Bear in mind I was 8+9, and my sister 5+6. We knew, if we mis behaved on the ship, we'd be sent to the cabin to bed.

Now i remember getting very bored as a young one onboard, but i'd have rather been with my sister and parents than in bed, and remember watching Kriss Akabussi win a medal in the 1991 World Championships aboard!

When we were young my brother and I were both warned by my mother not to run around on the ship or we'd be thrown off.