Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy

Cruise ship collision

How on earth this still happens is anyone's guess really, but things could have been a great deal worse...

Cruise ship in Collision

THE cruise ship Van Gogh collided with the laden double-hull tanker Spetses in the Bay of Gibraltar yesterday, though there were no injuries or pollution.

The incident happened in thick fog at around 12.40pm and both vessels sustained hull damage. The passenger ship, operated by Club Cruise, was sailing from Gibraltar to Tangier with 492 passengers on board, as well as its crew of 228.

The tanker, operated by Minerva Marine, was heading to the Cepsa refinery in Algeciras from Egypt to discharge 139,000 tonnes of crude oil. Port officials in Algeciras and Gibraltar, alongside company and class representatives, are looking into the reasons behind the collision.

Sources at the Spanish port said there was zero visibility at the time but that the traffic control centre in Algeciras had warned both ships of the risk of collision. The Van Gogh is currently berthed in Gibraltar, while the Spetses was last night discharging its cargo to the refinery before being allowed into port for thorough damage assessment.

Re: Cruise ship collision

How on earth this still happens is anyone's guess really, but things could have been a great deal worse...

Certainly could. Not that many years since that Moby line ferry crashed into a tanker outisde an italian port (Livorno I think) and all but about 3 passengers died in the resulting fireball. The ship in question also had some link to UK being a former Harwich - Hoek car ferry (Koningin Juliana I think).

Also only a couple of years since the Norwegian Wind/ Dream (can't remember which) slammed an evergreen container ship in the english channel.

Theres also the car carrier Tricolour and the ships that hit her in the english channel not so long ago.

I'm just glad there wasn't a Moby Prince-esque fireball. I think possibly the reason there wasn't a fireball is the fact the tanker has a double hull. Tankers are all being built with double hulls these days and the single hulled ones are being gradually scrapped as they come to the end of their useful lives. Double hulls are safer in the event of grounding or collision as there is far less chance of a leak and/or an explosion.

It is incredible that these things do still happen these days, especially when you think of how much more congested the skies and airports are, yet you don't get many (fortunately) air collisions. You do get near-misses though. However, there are thousands of ships in the world and some ports are crowded and collisions will occur as long as ships are crewed by humans and not machines. I guess the day will come when the ships can think for themselves (i.e. run by computer) but not for a long time yet. So, there will always be human error creeping in.