Highspeedferries

quincy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Highspeedferries

There's been rumours of this for a while, and I think with Geoffrey Ede involved at some point. Though, it'll take some convincing to prove they're not a KMW Seaways... or Navmed... or EuroFerries...

There's been rumours of this for a while, and I think with Geoffrey Ede involved at some point. Though, it'll take some convincing to prove they're not a KMW Seaways... or Navmed... or EuroFerries...

Please see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-dorset-12021854

As I live in Weymouth and France this news is of more than passing interest to me. We used to enjoy sailings on the Earl Godwin to Cherboug!

Indeed, that's the same link as above. Though, the BBC have been equally triumphant about things before:

10 Jan 2009 - New Thanet ferry route announced

05 Mar 2009 - New cross-Channel ferry to start

01 Aug 2009 - Delayed ferry operation to start

10 Nov 2009 - Fast ferry service delayed again

... and then EuroFerries ended up being investigated by their InsideOut programme.

I'd be very intrigued at such an operator setting up so close to Condor's presence.

What about the roads onto Portland Bill? No better than Poole, if anything worse. A lot of faith is being placed in this Weymouth Relief Road but it has yet to open to the public although it has been formally opened by the Princess Royal. If I were asked to back a scheme like this I would want to know how this road is going to cope with summer traffic before I'd put any money into it. But as a port I've always thought Portland had a lot going for it.

Hawser, Portland Port has a lot going for it and is owned by go ahead people. I am not sure if they inherited any kind of linkspan from the Navy and will try to find out.

I don't believe the road system will cause any significant issues. However I cannot see much demand except perhaps for holiday day trips.

In fact the service has as much chance of getting off the ground as heavy snow falling in Weymouth. Oh gosh why am I marooned in the house at the moment!!!!

Hawser, Portland Port has a lot going for it and is owned by go ahead people. I am not sure if they inherited any kind of linkspan from the Navy and will try to find out.

I don't believe the road system will cause any significant issues. However I cannot see much demand except perhaps for holiday day trips.

In fact the service has as much chance of getting off the ground as heavy snow falling in Weymouth. Oh gosh why am I marooned in the house at the moment!!!!

Peter sorry I clicked on your name in error ! However its snowing in the Vendee and the roads are absolutely terrible. A bientot.

This topic has been discussed before on this website when it was established that Portland Port has a building which is used by cruiseship pax as a pax terminal and could function as a ferry terminal building -- but no linkspan. Whether the capital outlay to install such a facility can be justified remains to be seen. In view of what has happened to Cherbourg's Passerelle 3 cutting corners would not seem to be the order of the day. I would guess the promoters of this scheme need to present a very strong case regarding its commercial viability for the owners of Portland Port to make any moves in the direction of installing a linkspan.

Portland Port does have a passenger terminal, this was installed to the visiting cruise ships, however there are no linkspans there.

Although either Weymouth or Portland Harbours would make much better sense for running High Speed services to Cherbourg than Poole, I just cant see it happening at the moment. Firstly there is the need to install a linkspan, then find a vessel, but most importantly is there a market. Brittany Ferries have clearly got trade issues at Poole, but at least they can try to attract freight customers. A seacat would only be able to carry passengers and cars, and I'm just not sure the trade is there at the moment to sustain such a venture.

Steve Ladyman is no longer the MP for here having lost in May by 7200 votes. He has moved away from the area but not sure where he has gone. Maybe further around the coast and we have heard nothing about EF for months even though the phone lines are still open but just get a recording saying how busy they are.

I understand they do not intend to start this proposed service before 2012

However on Mr Ede's past performance lots will be talked about and no ferry service will actually start up!

I can confirm that currently there is no linkspan in Portland Port and they have no current plans to install one.

I understand they do not intend to start this proposed service before 2012

However on Mr Ede's past performance lots will be talked about and no ferry service will actually start up!

I can confirm that currently there is no linkspan in Portland Port and they have no current plans to install one.

The fact that there is no linkspan at Portland will not stop Mr E.... A couple of well placed planks.....!

Archived