Highspeedferries

quincy

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Highspeedferries

Not even a website for HighSpeedFerries, I've even tried Google and nothing.

Its at a very early stage, they're only in the consultancy thase over whether such a route is even viable. Any operations won't start until 2012.

I would have a lot more faith in these start up operation if they used a proper conventional ferry rather than "cutting edge" fastcraft technology which is in reality commercially redundant, the first thing you need to be succesful in this industry is freight, they clearly know very little about the realities of the industry.

Its at a very early stage, they're only in the consultancy thase over whether such a route is even viable. Any operations won't start until 2012.

I would have a lot more faith in these start up operation if they used a proper conventional ferry rather than "cutting edge" fastcraft technology which is in reality commercially redundant, the first thing you need to be succesful in this industry is freight, they clearly know very little about the realities of the industry.

Why make a song and dance about it over the local news then? Just smacks of Euroferries again to me.

I reckon any one of us could get a story about a ferry start-up in at least one local paper just by issuing a plausible press release, backed by a Net Objects website up on a £2.99 domain. I'd be prepared to bet also that the story would appear with perhaps one in a hundred words changed under someone's by-line!

They could try one of the large doubele vehicle deck Incats, like the Norman Arrow or Normandie Vitesse, or one of the new Austal Trimarans, which both could carry enough freight to make the sailing viable

Back from a lengthy sabattical (H)

James

Surely the pre-eminent factor that has to be considered when thinking about any kind of ro-ro service from Portland is that this port does not currently have any ro-ro facilities. Post#18 on this thread indicates this to be the case and further that Portland Port have no plans to install a linkspan bridge. This being so, any ro-ro or cross-Channel ferry project must be dead in the water!

They could try one of the large doubele vehicle deck Incats, like the Norman Arrow or Normandie Vitesse, or one of the new Austal Trimarans, which both could carry enough freight to make the sailing viable

Back from a lengthy sabattical (H)

James

Hello

Sorry I just don't believe in the viability of fastcrafts on the Channel, not just for freight related reasons but their often poor reliability, poor fuel consumptions and a tendency to hit things. They are perhaps viable as a supplement to conventional operations duing the summer months but even with the larger ones the amounts of freight they can carry can't be massive. I believe that both the Norman Arrow and Normandie Express operated without driver accompanied freight this year?

Hello

Sorry I just don't believe in the viability of fastcrafts on the Channel, not just for freight related reasons but their often poor reliability, poor fuel consumptions and a tendency to hit things. They are perhaps viable as a supplement to conventional operations duing the summer months but even with the larger ones the amounts of freight they can carry can't be massive. I believe that both the Norman Arrow and Normandie Express operated without driver accompanied freight this year?

I think the problem with NORMAN ARROW as a freight carrier was the length of time it took to load her and this, I daresay, prompted the head of Incat, Dr Robert Clifford, to say they would have to look again at drive-thru capability. The latest Incat design proposals would seem to reflect this. NA, of course, is stern loading only.

One wonders if current designs of diesel engines installed in HSC have a shorter service life than shipowners would like, e.g. ten years at most! Beyond that mechanical unreliability is to be expected and replacement engines called for. Perhaps Dr Clifford ought to aim for easy engine replacement in his designs as well as drive-thru capability. I've posted before on this subject but I believe opposed piston designs have proved very successful in the past. One thinks of the Fairbanks-Morse opposed piston engines in the US Navy's World War Two submarines which were very successful. British opposed piston engine builder, Doxford, long gone of course, did produce a medium speed version of their slow speed opposed piston design called a "Seahorse". Although it was tested out thoroughly in the testing hall it had no takers from shipowners -- but I suppose such a design would be too big and heavy for a HSC anyway. There is always the gas turbine but this is very heavy on fuel at sea level. Maybe the HSC designers are facing the same problem the hovercraft faced -- and which did for them -- i.e. having aviation technology in a marine environment.

Highspeed Ferries

Sorry for the repeat didn't see this post earlier.

Plans revealed for Dorset Cherbourg Ferry

Date: 21 Dec 2010 10:05 Source: BBC News

A new company has revealed plans to launch a ferry service from Portland in Dorset, to Cherbourg in France.

The company known as 'HighSpeedFerries' said it is exploring options for a high-speed, cross channel ferry for passengers and vehicles which could complete the ferry crossing to France in just 2 hours.

The company said the service would not be in competition with Condor Ferries Channel Island services from nearby Weymouth ferry port.

Director Jonathan Packer said the plans were "an exciting development" for the region.

Mr Packer said: "HighSpeedFerries could get you direct to France in two hours, with a service running two or three times a day in season.

"These are early days, but this could be a very exciting development for the South West as a whole. It would considerably reduce through journey times and road distances for our target markets as compared to the Dover Calais ferry crossing."

The company said it had already spoken to Weymouth and Portland Borough Council about the plan. It is also consulting with Dorset County Council as well as Cherbourg ferry port and the Normandy Ports Authority.

Hello

Sorry I just don't believe in the viability of fastcrafts on the Channel, not just for freight related reasons but their often poor reliability, poor fuel consumptions and a tendency to hit things. They are perhaps viable as a supplement to conventional operations duing the summer months

I think that's right. My own view is that they have been/are a blind alley development likely to actively deter newbies from ferry crossings if they have a bad experience, offer a reduced quality to the seasoned traveller while reducing the trip to the status of a bus journey for all. The plain fact is that they are simply not fit for purpose on anything other than a 'mill-pond' if the voyage lasts more than, say, 30 minutes. For me they are rather like the appalling cab-rankers of buses used for rail replacement services compared with the HST you've just been debouched from!

Out of Portsmouth the best from the point of view of both ride and on-board was undoubtedly the Austal Superstar Express, the Incats seem to Mrs M & I to be less satisfactory. Anyway despite our affection for Cherbourg and the fact that we are 'bomb proof' sailors we decided after 2008 to give fastcraft a miss. I suspect we are not alone.

I think that's right. My own view is that they have been/are a blind alley development likely to actively deter newbies from ferry crossings if they have a bad experience, offer a reduced quality to the seasoned traveller while reducing the trip to the status of a bus journey for all. The plain fact is that they are simply not fit for purpose on anything other than a 'mill-pond' if the voyage lasts more than, say, 30 minutes. For me they are rather like the appalling cab-rankers of buses used for rail replacement services compared with the HST you've just been debouched from!

Out of Portsmouth the best from the point of view of both ride and on-board was undoubtedly the Austal Superstar Express, the Incats seem to Mrs M & I to be less satisfactory. Anyway despite our affection for Cherbourg and the fact that we are 'bomb proof' sailors we decided after 2008 to give fastcraft a miss. I suspect we are not alone.

I quite agree Millsy .I am sure that BF are best concentrating on what they are good at; service ,quality and reliability .Cats dont like water anyhow!

Superstar Express, yes, liked her a lot. I agree she was the best but the usual bigger must equal better grabs business people and so that was that. One day perhaps people will go back to being satisfied they are running a good business at a set level, making stable profits so lets not change it. . . . and I suppose pigs might fly.

That's a bit harsh Millsy- the Dover Hover port is not that bad!

Dover Hoverport? What Dover Hoverport? I think you'll find it's all been flattened and is now just a memory. Even the old hovercraft propeller they had outside as an ornament or whatever you call it has been donated to the Hovercraft Museum at Lee-on-Solent.

Dover Hoverport? What Dover Hoverport? I think you'll find it's all been flattened and is now just a memory. Even the old hovercraft propeller they had outside as an ornament or whatever you call it has been donated to the Hovercraft Museum at Lee-on-Solent.

Mind you, it was a few years ago when I was there. Speedferries were still solvent!

Mind you, it was a few years ago when I was there. Speedferries were still solvent!

Didn't Speedferries have "Beat the Pirates" painted onto the front of their seacat. Never understood why!

Mind you 10 return trips for 200 quid,no wonder they went pop!!!!

Archived