Highspeedferries

quincy

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Re: Highspeedferries

Apparently a project manager for highspeed ferries (a Captain Thomson) is doing the rounds of the UK ports seeing if anyone has a "redundant" linkspan for sale

They are seeking a floating type with an ability to manager a 2.5 mtr tidal range

There is a broken linkspan in Cherbourg!

Apparently a project manager for highspeed ferries (a Captain Thomson) is doing the rounds of the UK ports seeing if anyone has a "redundant" linkspan for sale

They are seeking a floating type with an ability to manager a 2.5 mtr tidal range

Sounds kinda serious, doesn't it?:D There is a piece about it in the current issue of "Cruise & Ferry Info" from Sweden. Apparently it's the brainchild of Jonathan Packer & Associates of Templecombe, Somerset, an outfit which provides advisory and consultancy services to the marine and transport industries. They've been in touch with the local council here and with the Cherbourg port authority and Ports Normands Associe in France. I'm not sure why they would want to approach the latter. I thought Port de Cherbourg SAS ran Cherbourg on a concessionary basis from PNA. Anyway HighSpeedFerries (HSF) envisage a voyage time of no more than two hours and a service of two or three times a day but they seem to me to have overlooked the small detail of the roads. If people thought Poole was poor, Portland is no better and, if anything, worse, recent improvements notwithstanding. One can't assess the value of the Weymouth Relief Road as it still hasn't opened.

I note it's a project manager from HSF who's looking for a S/H linkspan not the owners of Portland Port. The latter have always thought there needs to be very substantial improvement to Portland's transport links before the place could expand in a meaningful way. This is very unlikely to happen for a variety of reasons including environmental ones. One fears the advantage of the short crossing would be offset by the length of time it will take to get through the Dorset area, particularly in the summertime, when the roads are very congested.

Anyway HighSpeedFerries (HSF) envisage a voyage time of no more than two hours and a service of two or three times a day but they seem to me to have overlooked the small detail of the roads.

Perhaps overlooked demand also ? How are they going to fill 3 sailings a day when existing operators in the Channel are struggling to do so. If they go for the SpeedFerries model they have to rely on volume and undercut everyone else whilst paying the higher (and it seems soon to increase further) fuel costs of running a HSC. Even if they theoretically managed to make hay whilst the sun shone in the summer, the winter months with dire weather and low demand would be a difficult challenge for a passenger service with no freight to help things tick along.

Even if they theoretically managed to make hay whilst the sun shone in the summer, the winter months with dire weather and low demand would be a difficult challenge for a passenger service with no freight to help things tick along.

Sounds similar to HD Ferries....

Perhaps he ought to extend his search to the Irish Republic. I seem to remember redundant linkspans of the type he's after at both Ringaskiddy, Cork, and at Rosslare!:)

Heard today that Euroferries are sniffing around Boulogne Gare Maritime again .....

I would have thought that they would have had something in place by now to catch the Easter rush.

Are there not currently other plans for the Gare Maritime for offices etc ?

With an empty cross channel terminal collecting seagull doo and Monsieur

Puissessau anxious to prove to the Boulonnais that he wants to promote their commercial port anything can happen, his comments before his recent appointment that Calais was cross channel and Boulogne shoul stick to fishing would hardly endear him to some of the locals.

Not sure if Euroferries if they ever start will not suffer from the price cutting by the Dover to Calais cartel that saw off Speedferries(bless em) and LD.

Not sure if Euroferries if they ever start will not suffer from the price cutting by the Dover to Calais cartel that saw off Speedferries(bless em) and LD.

There is no and never has been a price cartel on the Dover straight! Before the wonderful Spedferries prices were probably sustainible, Seafrance and P&O can barely talk to each other let alone organise a cartel! If anything I think a cartel might be a better option as it would result in realistic pries being charged rather than the suicidal fares that have been the norm for the past few years which has resulted in serious financial problems for both Seafrance and P&O at one stage or another.

Cherbourg. Une nouvelle ligne de ferries rapides en projet

Depuis plusieurs mois, un groupe de financiers britanniques travaille à un nouveau projet de liaisons rapides entre Portland et Cherbourg.

MARIN (LE) - 11/02/2011 - 1 p -

Cherbourg. Baisse des trafics à cause du transmanche

Avec un total de 1,85 million de tonnes, le trafic du port de commerce de Cherbourg a baissé en 2010 de 13,8 %. Ces résultats s'expliquent par une nouvelle chute du trafic transmanche (-17,1 %)

MARIN (LE) - 11/02/2011 - 1 p -

Will buy the paper later to see if they have any different info to that already stated on this forum.

• 2 weeks later...

"La Manche Libre" currently has a piece about plans for HSC services in connection with the 2012 Olympics. The Portland project is mentioned. However, as has been previously discussed, Portland does not currently have a linkspan and the cost of installing same may prove fatal to the scheme. One would have thought that, if there was any potential for a ferry service out of Portland, the owners of that port would have installed such a facility long ago. The critical Weymouth Relief Road still hasn't opened and is not expected to do so before next month. One wonders what the strong Poole civic delegation going over to Cherbourg on BARFLEUR's first sailing from Poole next Monday morning will be urging on their Cherbourg counterparts. Something along the lines of why Portland when there is Poole, one would imagine.

A business plan based on a 2 week event ? Interesting.

Surely the better rail and road links from either Poole or Portsmouth towards London are a more attractive option if the Olympics is one you are placing your hopes on. Unless you are going simply for the sailing (which runs 29th July to 11th August), would you really choose Portland as your port of entry ?

Would there not be enough capacity with the current operators to cope with any sudden influx of traffic ? That period is generally characterised with traffic going north-south. Might just be a case that the likes of BF, Condor or LD up their own HSC crossing to absorb a temporary hike in demand.

A business plan based on a 2 week event ? Interesting.

Surely the better rail and road links from either Poole or Portsmouth towards London are a more attractive option if the Olympics is one you are placing your hopes on. Unless you are going simply for the sailing (which runs 29th July to 11th August), would you really choose Portland as your port of entry ?

Would there not be enough capacity with the current operators to cope with any sudden influx of traffic ? That period is generally characterised with traffic going north-south. Might just be a case that the likes of BF, Condor or LD up their own HSC crossing to absorb a temporary hike in demand.

Maybe, IF the capacity is not quite good enough, they could do what the IoM Steam Packet do and bring in a couple of extra vessels for the period?

Perhaps he ought to extend his search to the Irish Republic. I seem to remember redundant linkspans of the type he's after at both Ringaskiddy, Cork, and at Rosslare!:)

There is also the facility at Marchwood that is earmarked for closure.....

There is also the facility at Marchwood that is earmarked for closure.....

Good idea! I'd forgotten Marchwood! But aren't these linkspans of the type which are lifted at the outer end? I thought those behind Highspeedferries were after the floating type of installation like those at Ringaskiddy and Rosslare and like Cherbourg's P3 which so sadly overturned. There's Southampton's Berth 25 which is supported by a pontoon at its outer end. This was recently in temporary use by Red Funnel while work was done on their regular berths and was also used by Channel Freight Ferries for their short lived freight service to Radicatel near Le Havre, I believe. As I recall, it was put in for Stena Line's service to Cherbourg with STENA NORMANDY which started in 1991 and closed at the end of 1996. However this ferry rarely used it because she was really too big for the enclosed dock. Consequently she mainly used the "heavy duty" linkspan out in the River Itchen. I don't know what other work Berth 25 gets these days. Maybe they should make Southampton an offer!:D But where are the millions of pounds/euros coming from to pay for all the costs involved in installing even a S/H linkspan at Portland? Will it all be really worth it?

But aren't these linkspans of the type which are lifted at the outer end? ................ Maybe they should make Southampton an offer!:D But where are the millions of pounds/euros coming from to pay for all the costs involved in installing even a S/H linkspan at Portland? Will it all be really worth it?

Can't easily tell from Google maps but all pretty academic really. How many flights of fancy with HSC have we seen come and go in the past few years. Even LD seem to have made a bit of a mess of the whole thing ! :D

There's Southampton's Berth 25 which is supported by a pontoon at its outer end. This was recently in temporary use by Red Funnel while work was done on their regular berths and was also used by Channel Freight Ferries for their short lived freight service to Radicatel near Le Havre, I believe.

Channel Freight Ferries used the river berth (30?), a large floating pontoon was added to it to allow their ships to use both their stern ramps. Stena Normandy berthed bow in to the linkspan before so it wasn't a problem. UECC are now regular users of the berth. The river berth was also used by the short lived service to Spain in the mid to late 90's and by the Pride of Bilbao when she came to the city for an MES test.

Channel Freight Ferries used the river berth (30?), a large floating pontoon was added to it to allow their ships to use both their stern ramps. Stena Normandy berthed bow in to the linkspan before so it wasn't a problem. UECC are now regular users of the berth. The river berth was also used by the short lived service to Spain in the mid to late 90's and by the Pride of Bilbao when she came to the city for an MES test.

I am surprised CFF used the river berth. My impression was they used Berth 25. I thought the river berth had been installed for vehicle imports/exports etc not ferries, but STENA NORMANDY had to use it because, generally speaking, she was too big for the enclosed dock/shipping basin and Berth 25, though I do recall driving off over this facility on one occasion. I take it that it is the river berth which is used regularly by UECC and not Berth 25. Thus what use does this latter facility get? The ferry terminal which was put in for the Stena Line service, and which was aligned for this berth, has all now gone I believe, leaving just the linkspan. This was why I was suggesting, not entirely seriously, that it might be what Highspeedferries are looking for. But when one looks at a photo of this facility (one recently appeared at www.ais-live.co.uk in the Solent Shipping News Section) you realise the magnitude of the engineering problems involved in moving such an item to another location and the cost of same plus purchase price. It's all too easy to talk about new ferry services starting up but if one of the ports involved lacks the necessary infrastructure you have serious problems.

Archived