Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Normandie

A Hell Ride

Just heard the news and there was a report about a car driver on a French motorways who´s speed-o-mat has been malfunctioning - the result of this was, that he had to go with 200 km/h for one hour, he could neither use the brakes not put the motor out ! After one hour he managed to remove the chip of this,somehow.

Don´t know more details than this, as it was on the radio SWR3 here, but once again I am getting suspricious against electronic here :D It´s a wonder the poor man didn´t get a heartattack either !

Re: A Hell Ride

Just heard the news and there was a report about a car driver on a French motorways who´s speed-o-mat has been malfunctioning - the result of this was, that he had to go with 200 km/h for one hour, he could neither use the brakes not put the motor out ! After one hour he managed to remove the chip of this,somehow.

Don´t know more details than this, as it was on the radio SWR3 here, but once again I am getting suspricious against electronic here :D It´s a wonder the poor man didn´t get a heartattack either !

Very strange!! You would think just knocking the car out of gear would have sorted the problem or just turn the ignition off should have worked also!!

Blimey- Frightening :yell:

I wouldn't want to be in that situation :yikes:

if it was not so serious, it could be laughable ! It is amzing but very scary, what can happen nowadays, when almost everything is working with electronics ! And I mean here not, one of our computers not working, what makes us swear, yes but if it comes to worse, seems there are some rather unkind suprises waiting, too.

Anyone here else had also some strange experience, or heard stuff about electronic failures ? (OK usually - if it stops working bring up the old stuff again - it works perhaps not so modern but more relieable many times :D :D)

I have heard of certain 4x4's having a problem where the throttle jams and the thing picks up speed - vary dangerous at junctions and the like. The car can only be stopped by turning off the engine. The brakes are somehow over ridden by the malfunction.

From what i remember the 4x4 which had that problem was the ford explorer which is an american import (i think).

I thought the Ford Explorer was the one that had problems with the tyres, although it may have also had the problem Faith mentions, I can't remember exactly.

It was the Ford Explorer, both the American and European models. On that car the cruise-control was being activated by some "noise" from the engine. (Electromagnetic noise... radiowaves ;)). The cruise control would then crash (electronically) after engaging fully. On a lot of cars the cruise control works by tugging at the throttle cable, and so you could see the pedal had been pulled to the floor. In this case, managing to pull the throttle back up, or switching off the engine would have saved the day, but they are automatic gearboxes and couldnt be changed without the brake being fully depressed, and the car stationary. Faith mentioned the brakes being overridden... that wasn't the case... try accelerating and braking at the same time, in most cars the engine will win, particularly when its REALLY trying!

This sort of situation is not a rare event. ABS systems have been known to lock the brakes on motoways, and automatic gears to stick in top gear. Generally the companies can pay off more people to be quiet as they can afford more than a newspaper buying the story. As sad as it is, from a business point of view it's cheaper to do this than to redesign all these systems and admit the fault.

That Ford problem is an interesting one though because when the market for cruise control hotted up, they just implemented the same unit into more models... often with the same results.

OH my.. makes me somehow wishing me a old VW Beetle as a car or the Lada we had when I was a child :D:P There would not have been ever THAT kind of scary problem.

Oh great :scared: - we can all live in hope!!!! :scared:

How about a model T!!! :scared: Or an Audi A8 :D (I wish)