Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Andy

The End of a British Institution

The UK's longest-serving weather forecaster Michael Fish broadcasts for the last time on BBC television today. After 32 years on the nation's screens, his moustachioed face is synonymous with weather forecasting but he has never lived down his comments prior to the 1987 storms!!

The end of an era, the weather will never be the same again! :( (who can we blame now?!)

Re: The End of a British Institution

You're right, Andy. The last of the weather forecasters with personality has gone. The new breed are just so dull, bland and boring that the weather just isn't the same any more.

Anybody out there remember Ian McCaskill? He was just GREAT!

I am sure that those of us who unlike yourself Andy are of an age to remember the days of magnetic weather symbols before the computer graphics took over look back to those days as being halcyon indeed, especially when the symbols behaved like Uncle Ben's rice!

Have you noticed though that since he has retired its been nice and sunny?! :tongue2:

From watching some of the 'tribute' footage for him it did make some of the older weather forecasts look ancient, especially those with magnetic symbols (sorry to those of you that remember that when it was thought of as high tech!).

I know what you mean about the lack of personalities the presenters now have. On BBC South West we used to have Craig Rich who was the local version of Michael but he has gone now too. Mind you they are not all bad, I know Isobel Lang and Alex Deakin is nice too.

In my opinion Rob McElwee is the shiny diamond amongst a pretty poor bunch currently. Phillip Avery wins the bravery award though as he has just set off on the Global Challenge yacht race for 10 months - good luck to him!

By the way, this is only the second day of Michael Fish's retirement and the weather is due to take a turn for the worse tomorrow!

The BBC forecasters are the best (as you would expect) however, Sian Lloyd and Martin Davies on Meridian are ok as they put it across in a non-patronising, yet factual way.

The worst one is Lara Lewington on Channel 5, somehow I feel she was employed more as a bit of eye candy than for her forecasting or presenting abilities.

Anybody out there remember Ian McCaskill? He was just GREAT!

Ah yes, the classic presenters have all but gone: Ian McCaskill, Michael Fish, Bill Giles and John Kettley.

Has anyone seen a really wierd presenter on BBC1? He was presenting as if trying to be ultra trendy and it not working. He even pointed to the camera Fonzie style whilst signing off. This was seen in the middle of the night though:tired:

Has anyone seen a really wierd presenter on BBC1? He was presenting as if trying to be ultra trendy and it not working. He even pointed to the camera Fonzie style whilst signing off. This was seen in the middle of the night though:tired:

Tom, this is one Dan Corbett, who talks about 'speckly clouds', 'troublemakers' and 'pesky clouds' among other things. I suppose you can get away with anything in the middle of the night!

Mind you the French forecasters are a different breed altogether! I've never heard such rapid - fire French!!!