Sign in to follow this  
Craig

The cost of changing fuel from 2015 (Scrubbers & GNL Conversions)

Re: The cost of changing fuel from 2015 (Scrubbers & GNL Conversions)

Ships Monthly has an article on Barfleur getting a £10m upgrade, to "INCLUDE the installation of exhaust scrubbers". Does the word 'include' suggest she is getting some kind of overall refit?:D

Good issue this month with articles on DFDS and Red Funnel.

I might be wrong but hasn't barfleur had a refit recently?

It might make sense because there is quite a big gap in the Poole-Cherbourg timetable end of March, all of April and half of May 2015

Her last refit was done I think on her return in 2011 she had new carpets. Unless I'm mistaken nothing else has changed, maybe minor bits. She has been repainted in her BF livery that is about it. Correct me if I have forgotton something somebody, don't think she's had anything major done inside. Normandie Express has.

Attached is an excellent overview of Brittany Ferries plans to comply with the new regulations, including a visual timeline of what works are taking place when.

Attached is an excellent overview of Brittany Ferries plans to comply with the new regulations, including a visual timeline of what works are taking place when.

So it looks like Pont will be out from January to June 2017. Obviously this period has not yet been timetabled so it would be interesting to see if any Spanish routes may be covered by something other than Cap(?). Would I be correct in thinking this was the time when the new ship was scheduled for completion (obviously not any more)?

We know that cap can do public routes out of Plymouth now, so I would guess we will see more of these during the time PA is out.

I would like to understand more regarding the financial structure. These maritime societies which have been set up as the vessel owners, Senacal,Somacal, Somabret etc... The latter is said to have assets of €125m alone, what of the others?

(1) Is it these societies who bear the financial brunt of MARPOL or is it BF themselves? Can these societies remove their vessel(s) from the operator, BF, and offer them to a competitor to operate or sell them outright if they feel compliance to the new regs is too much of a financial burden...?

(2) When Somabret sell Bretagne are they obligated to reinvest in tonnage or can they go their separate ways...?

(3) Are these the obstacles BAI4 alludes to...?

There is a diagram in this french document (page 2) http://www.isemar.asso.fr/fr/pdf/note-de-synthese-isemar-58.pdf which lays out the organisational structure as of ten years ago. You'll see there is a complex interlocking investment structure. As to the assets of the various ship owning entities I suppose it all depends what they mean. It could be that they are merely the book value of the vessels.

A communication interne was received today which states that the conversion to GNL of the Mont St Michel, Pont-Aven and Armorique has been cancelled. They will now have scrubbers installed instead.

PEGASIS is also cancelled.

Edited by BAI4

I don't have access to the full story, but this just appeared in my facebook feed.

Looks like the LNG plan is cancelled, but would like to know what has caused the 'anger' mentioned in the headline.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n241265[/ATTACH]

Edited by Jim
Creating thumbnail

A communication interne was received today which states that the conversion to GNL of the Mont St Michel, Pont-Aven and Armorique has been cancelled. They will now have scrubbers installed instead.

PEGASIS is also cancelled.

GNL cancelled, Pegasis cancelled - means no newbuilds for a long time - BF certainly do have issues :/

Official UK Press Release from Brittany Ferries:

‘Double penalty’ forces Brittany Ferries to suspend its LNG plans

Ferry operator Brittany Ferries has been forced to suspend its plans to upgrade much of its fleet to operate on Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG). At the beginning of 2014, the company committed itself to an ecological transition plan in response to new regulations relating to sulphur emissions which will come into effect on 1st January 2015.

The plan included the installation of scrubbers (gas filters) on three ships, and the conversion of three newer ships to allow them to operate on LNG. It also included the construction of an LNG cruise-ferry.

However, the preconditions enabling the plan to be financially viable have not been met.

Brittany Ferries has worked tirelessly over recent years to convince governments of the desperate need for a temporary exemption from the new rules, contained within the revised MARPOL Annex VI.

However, with the January deadline fast approaching, it appears unlikely that such an exemption will be granted. This is despite Brittany Ferries’ ambitious plan going above and beyond what is required by the new rules, thanks to its reliance on LNG, which exceeds requirements concerning emissions of sulphur, CO2, nitrous oxide and particulate emissions.

The company is simply unable to bear the costs of the double penalty that would be incurred by this programme.

Jean Marc Roué, Brittany Ferries’ chairman commented, “It is impossible for us to commit to an ecological transition plan which requires such a high level of investment, when, due to the absence of a temporary exemption, we will also incur hefty additional annual costs amounting to tens of millions of euros, due to us being obliged to use diesel instead of heavy fuel oil until our ships have been converted.”

“We have worked tirelessly for a temporary exemption but these efforts have sadly been in vain. Without it, the economic viability of our LNG programme is in jeopardy. It is my duty to protect the company and its staff at a time when the European ferry industry is confronting numerous challenges.”

“All of our partners who have worked with us on this project have demonstrated the technical feasibility and the environmental benefits of this pioneering, futuristic technology. However I have taken the decision to suspend the LNG component of our ecological transition plan. It’s a decision I take with much regret and disappointment.”

Despite these difficulties, the company is still undertaking a wide-ranging, albeit less ambitious transition plan, which will meet or exceed what the requirements of the new rules. The scheme includes the installation of scrubbers on the three ships which it had planned to convert to operate on LNG, and represents an investment of 70-80 million euros.

ENDS.

GNL cancelled, Pegasis cancelled - means no newbuilds for a long time - BF certainly do have issues :/

I don't really see how they may have issues as such. Reverting to scrubbers rather than a complete plant refit is in line with what BF's competitors are undertaking, as for a new build, BF aren't in desperate need of new tonnage. Oscar Wilde is 27 and is in good nick and the two Mariella class vessels were completed in '84 and '85 and are in fine fettle...

The British government announcing their desire to sell their share in Eurostar has just changed the market place. if prices rise as expected, we could well see an upturn in ferry passenger numbers.

Does this mean, in people's opinion, that the Bretagne maybe seen as fit for Scrubbers now and an extended out of service date to make up for her investment? Perhaps a further hefty revamp of the ship all round to boot? For me, I nice thought but is it plausible?

Still more likely that the Bretagne serves Plymouth - Spain -Plymouth -France-Ireland, outside the MARPOL area....

Not sure about her stability (she already has sponsons) would allow for the fitting of scrubbers?

Surely the fitting of scrubbers does not take as long as conversion to LNG, so would there be unnecessary time for MSM, Arm (and PA but the 2017 timetables haven't been done yet) without timetabled sailings? (Remembering that the timetables were finalised at a time when the assumption was that they would be heading in for conversion).

Maybe I'm wrong and they both take just as long...

I don't really see how they may have issues as such. Reverting to scrubbers rather than a complete plant refit is in line with what BF's competitors are undertaking, as for a new build, BF aren't in desperate need of new tonnage. Oscar Wilde is 27 and is in good nick and the two Mariella class vessels were completed in '84 and '85 and are in fine fettle...

The British government announcing their desire to sell their share in Eurostar has just changed the market place. if prices rise as expected, we could well see an upturn in ferry passenger numbers.

Thats true, but looking at it, this was due to replace Bretagne, who (we believe) is unable have scrubbers fitted

This also means that no newbuilds until at least around 2020, by which time:

Normandie - 29

Barfleur - 28

Bretagne - 31

Thats two/three ships that will need replacing eventually, and if BF cannot get the funds to replace one, how do they get funds for 2/3

And they will be older ships, which are less fuel efficient

Thats true, but looking at it, this was due to replace Bretagne, who (we believe) is unable have scrubbers fitted

This also means that no newbuilds until at least around 2020, by which time:

Normandie - 29

Barfleur - 28

Bretagne - 31

Thats two/three ships that will need replacing eventually, and if BF cannot get the funds to replace one, how do they get funds for 2/3

And they will be older ships, which are less fuel efficient

My main worry would be the engines rather than comfort and state of the ships themselves. The ships are well maintained and having refits regularly will help keep them in good order. However not replacing the engines now only delays this so in a few years time the costs are multiplied scrubbers now, new engines down the line at a more expensive price because of inflation and the suppliers knowing full well that BF have their hands forced.

As a matter of interest what is the life of these engines the time must come when repairs are not ecconomic.

The official line was that Bretagne could not have scrubbers fitted due to stability issues. She already had hull mods due to changed regulations after ferry disasters, and the weight up top would take her beyond the acceptable stability. However ..... how much was this story simply to make it easier for everyone to accept her departure? I would guess that there would be a technical solution which would allow scrubbers to be fitted. I imagine a lot of calculations are going on now about scrubber costs, routes, diesel v heavy oil costs etc.