Sign in to follow this  
Andy

NEWS: Brittany Ferries Prepaid Euro Card

Brittany Ferries MasterCard® Prepaid Euro Card

Brittany Ferries have recently launched a 'Euro MasterCard' which is dubbed as a smart way to carry cash abroad, and can be a cheaper alternative to using debit or credit cards. Simply load the card with Euros and use it to pay for goods and services in shops, restaurants and hotels as well as withdraw money from ATMs - just like your normal debit card at home!

For more information click here

Re: Brittany Ferries Prepaid Euro Card

I did some research a few months ago about these prepaid cards to see which ones were the best. The BF one seems to be a better deal than others because most of them charge transaction fees.

Nationwide's Gold Card (Credit Card) is also good, with free foreign transactions. It looks like it is has been superseded by a new card though now.

Probably run by the likes of MNBA (as are many of them - ignore what the logo says) = no thank you. None of these cards are doing it for free! Just a sales gimic (clever wording).

ps Could be Santender - like many store cards.

I've got a Post Office Platinum MasterCard and that is free to use worldwide! :)

• Like 1

I've got a Post Office Platinum MasterCard and that is free to use worldwide! :)

and the Post Office card is issued by? Begorrah

The advantage with the prepaid euro cards is that it's safer than using your credit card, especially in countries where crime is a problem. If your credit card is stolen then you're in trouble but if its just a prepaid card then it's less of a problem.

The prepaid cards are good, but you must remember about the "Shadowed Funds" heres the extract from CaxtonFX

Q. Should I use my Caxton FX card for security deposits?

» answer

Do not use your Caxton FX card for any security deposits when you check into a hotel or hire a car. Secure these with any other card and only use your Caxton FX card to settle the bill. This is because of something called ‘shadowed funds’. When any card is swiped for security you might not know that a ‘shadow’ is put on the funds on that card. Unlike a credit card your Caxton FX card holds a prepaid balance and the shadow will stop you from spending your travel cash. A shadow can last for up to 30 days. Use any other card for the security swipe and your Caxton FX card when the payment transaction is required. The funds will still be pre-authorised on the other cards. If you have any questions, do not hesitate to call us.

http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/index.asp?dist=CAXTGENL

Newcastle BS and its partner, Tuxedo, are a big operator of "white label" or branded pre-paid cards. I've used on for the past couple of years since my debit card was stolen and used fraudulently. No problems, no transaction charge, just a monthly fee of, I think, £7.

The only thing to note is that if you load it by an online payment from your bank account it can take three days to land. So if you do the transfer on a Friday the money might not be available until Tuesday. Otherwise, 10/10

Ken

The BF card seems like quite a good deal - if you load it immediately with €300 there's no account set up fee, there's no monthly fee and no fee for purchases, but there is a €1.50 fee for ATM withdrawals. The exchange rate is good as well - about 1.11 at the moment with an extra 0.5 cents or so for travel club members. This compares with today's M&S rate of about 1.096.

There are various other fees which you should be able to avoid (Text message balance enquiries, that sort of thing).

I had a look at the BF offer and it looked good.

Unfortunately it was last Tuesday and we were on the ferry Friday night so i could not see it getting to us in time.

I will look at it for next time though.

R

No cash advance fee for using it to buy currency at the Post Office either :) (note that it's still subject to the higher cash interest rates and you'd be charged for withdrawing cash abroad). As with most Post Office financial stuff, it's done by the Bank of Ireland.

The exchange rate at our local post office is seriously poor though, don't know if this applies to their prepaid card.

The BF card seems like quite a good deal - if you load it immediately with €300 there's no account set up fee, there's no monthly fee and no fee for purchases, but there is a €1.50 fee for ATM withdrawals. The exchange rate is good as well - about 1.11 at the moment with an extra 0.5 cents or so for travel club members. This compares with today's M&S rate of about 1.096.

There are various other fees which you should be able to avoid (Text message balance enquiries, that sort of thing).

CaxtonFX is better, no ATM fees and present rate is 1.127 and the card is free

http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/feesncharges.asp?dist=CAXTGENL

http://www.caxtonfxcard.com/comparerates.asp?dist=CAXTGENL

We find that the Post Office and Thomas Cook give the best rates, although Travelex usually give 0.not much more but are not convenient. If you order from the PO on the internet they will deliver it to your designated PO at the time they state. We ordered some on a Thursday morning and it arrived the next day. We are fortunate that our PO is part of the village shop. I must say that the BF Card looks inviting to cover Hotel, petrol and wine expenses.

One drawback of the pre paid cards is said to be that if you use them at automatic petrol pumps they "seize and freeze" about 100 euros for a few days until they work out how much you have actually spent on fuel. So people who thought they had money still on the card available to spend for the next few days found they hadn't - and had to top up the card by text or computer to re charge it. And will they work at all at automatic motorway tolls ? I hear different views about that. Not all plain sailing perhaps.

The last time that I needed Euros, I got a better rate at HSBC than the one offered at the Post Office.

One drawback of the pre paid cards is said to be that if you use them at automatic petrol pumps they "seize and freeze" about 100 euros for a few days until they work out how much you have actually spent on fuel. So people who thought they had money still on the card available to spend for the next few days found they hadn't - and had to top up the card by text or computer to re charge it. And will they work at all at automatic motorway tolls ? I hear different views about that. Not all plain sailing perhaps.

Indeed - quite often cards of this type will only work if they can be checked online (IE at the time or purchase the amount of money available can be checked)... something like an automated motorway machine may not do such a check and just do the billing at the end of the day without checking - hence can't be used with such cards.

I was out in Brittany last week, loaded the card after watrching the exchange rates for a couple of days, waited till the pound was high and pounced, putting money out there when it was cheaper.

As a card it worked well, strangely though having read the bits above, we got off the ferry at St Malo drove to the Carrefour and it would not recognise the card to gas up. Then days later into LeClerc at St Pol de Leon, exactly the same. This was at the pay at the pump though.

Bizzarely we had just spent money in the store and there was definitely loads of credit on the card.

Rhys

Oh and as an aside,

Jean at Redcash has it on good authority that Sterling is about to strengthen against the euro and the transfer company I have used over here says it reckons that by the end of the year sterling is heading for parity.

Money is only paper only ink as a someone put it

Rhys

I was out in Brittany last week, loaded the card after watrching the exchange rates for a couple of days, waited till the pound was high and pounced, putting money out there when it was cheaper.

As a card it worked well, strangely though having read the bits above, we got off the ferry at St Malo drove to the Carrefour and it would not recognise the card to gas up. Then days later into LeClerc at St Pol de Leon, exactly the same. This was at the pay at the pump though.

Bizzarely we had just spent money in the store and there was definitely loads of credit on the card.

Rhys

I've heard that some of those pumps only accept French-issued cards, although I've managed to use them on a couple of occasions with a good old Barclaycard. (By the way, the exchange rate on that turns out to be silghtly better than the best Bureaux de Change rate in the UK, even after taking into account the commission.) It's been said before that using prepaid cards in the automatic fuel pumps is not a good idea, even if they are accepted, because they can reserve large amounts of your balance before you fuel, for security.