Sign in to follow this  
Andy

NEWS: Brittany Ferries Prepaid Euro Card

Re: Brittany Ferries Prepaid Euro Card

It was a silly one as i then used my HSBC card off my UK current account - no problems

Though I bet the exchange rate will be pretty #### when I get my statement.

Rhys

I was told that it is because on prepaid card, the money, or credit is held on the card itself, and automatic machines seek authorisation from banking system.

Guest Kernow

Could well be. next time - pay the chap in the little shed!!!

Unfortunately they're starting to disappear. My local Carrefour recently closed the little pay on the way out booth and made it all card payments only. Particularly annoying in an elderly rural area, where a lot of older drivers don't like putting their card into these machines and are probably going elsewhere now for petrol.

Puzzled... older drivers put in cards at Post Office to get pensions, put in cards at supermarkets to buy food, put in cards at banks to get cash, but don't want to do it for fuel ....so go elsewhere. Puzzled!

Apologies for dredging the depths getting this topic out,

Is the BF prepaid Card still running? I have one, but haven't used it for a long time and of course can;t remember the PIN, so ringing the number I got in the activation E-Mail, but it won't connect suggesting either my my phone network has blocked the number, or that its no longer in use...

Apologies for dredging the depths getting this topic out,

Is the BF prepaid Card still running? I have one, but haven't used it for a long time and of course can;t remember the PIN, so ringing the number I got in the activation E-Mail, but it won't connect suggesting either my my phone network has blocked the number, or that its no longer in use...

Its still available to be purchased on the brittany ferries website, so i presume its still running

https://eurocard.brittany-ferries.co.uk/bf

Mine still in service and a good, less scary way of carrying Euros, don't bother with it in fuel stations of the automatic sort but use it all the time in Intermarche etc.

I logged on to the website and they sent me a pin reminder in a few days.

Saved me a fortune when I screwed up changing money and found myself about to leave Portsmouth with very few euros unless I went to the thief in the terminal.

Managed to log into the Portsmouth Council Open web, get into BFwebsite login and buy a shed load of euros at a decent rate. Could have been traggic otherwise!!!

Rhys

BF pre-load cash card facility has not been available on the website for around 24 hours.  No explanation.  Phone number not available. Left without access to the money loaded onto my card or any means of contacting Brittany Ferries.  Not impressed!

Back working this morning thank goodness. I needed to upload some cash as I find it the best way to take money abroad and you can load some a bit at a time to suit the budget!

On 01/09/2011 at 10:58, wortley said:

If your credit rating allows.... why not just get a good credit card with no fees for overseas use (see www.moneysavingexpert.com) and pay for what you spend a month or so later rather than paying in advance .

Spot on info.   Halifax and Nationwide no charged EU use and you get the bank rate for the conversion. Avoid Amex.

• Like 1

Free ATM use in Europe without a markup are Metro, Starling, Nationwide (if have flexplus account) 

Free purchase use in Europe without a markup are Metro Credit Card , Starling Debit Card , Nationwide Select, CC Halifax Clarity CC

Apart from Metro, the rest are free internationally as well.

I have a number of these, I do recommend Starling as being very flexible, it is also possible to have a fee free Euro account with them, however it is not linked to plastic yet. 

Note that all of the above bank accounts are protected under the FCA rules (unlike the prepaid Euro cards)

Edited by David Williams

1 hour ago, David Williams said:

Note that all of the above bank accounts are protected under the FCA rules (unlike the prepaid Euro cards)

Very good and important point.