Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Khaines

MacDonalds in Cherbourg

Re: MacDonalds in Cherbourg

There was a Wimpy where I grew up, was often told by people it was common to be seen in there, but like a couple of other establishments in the town, the fact that my family considered them common only added to their appeal!! Wimpy used to do coke floats (a lump of ice cream floating in a glass of cola) which was my Saturday treat, and remember their burgers and chips. Personally, Maccy wise, I don't go a bundle on the day menu apart from the mcflurries, onion rings and potato wedges - not a big fan of the burgers, rather get them off the greasy van at the market, with piles of fried onions, not too often as I have got to watch the cholesterol, but when I get the opportunity to indulge I do so with relish! Only other real indulgence of mine is when the air show comes down here I treat myself to fish and chips out of one of the catering wagons (treat because of the cost too!!) Or if I want to do a boat trip to Swanage - even though I live in Bournemouth, Swanage is a trip to the seaside - just a different one and I like to feel like a tourist and indulge in guilty pleasures, fish and chips on the seafront is one, followed by a pot of Purbeck cappucino ice cream....

Pig.

I'm equally surprised that no-one (mentioning no names!) has commented on French McD's selling Kronenburg! :P

You now have that honour Andy! :D

Since my Internet connection at home is playing silly beggars, I am having to access via the free wifi in Macs here - handy! Regarding the thread this the same person who brought up vuvuzelas, hehe!

I'm equally surprised that no-one (mentioning no names!) has commented on French McD's selling Kronenburg! :P

I've not been online for a few days, so I'm playing catchup, but I was going to mention that the idea of a cup of tea in McDon's ANYWHERE turns my stomach, so was going to state the fact that you can get a beer 'under golden arches' with your cheeseburger on the other side of the channel.

Thought I better read to the end of the thread first - glad I did.

M

(wasn't me you were thinking of, by any chance?)

I've not been online for a few days, so I'm playing catchup, but I was going to mention that the idea of a cup of tea in McDon's ANYWHERE turns my stomach, so was going to state the fact that you can get a beer 'under golden arches' with your cheeseburger on the other side of the channel.

Thought I better read to the end of the thread first - glad I did.

M

(wasn't me you were thinking of, by any chance?)

The thought of a cup of tea ANYWHERE turns my stomach! :D! (actually, I'm not joking as far as tea is concerned - black coffee with sugar only).

The thought of a cup of tea ANYWHERE turns my stomach! :D! (actually, I'm not joking as far as tea is concerned - black coffee with sugar only).

Philistine! One does not put white stuff of any description (granular or liquid) into one's coffee!

:)

Philistine! One does not put white stuff of any description (granular or liquid) into one's coffee!

:)

OK, I'm a Philistine. I also like putting Calva in my coffee or tromping sugar lumps in my Calva - :D

Cafe au lait is only meant to be drunk in the mornings, or so I've read, like cappuccino is in Italy, but I prefer coffee with plenty of milk anyway so will be drinking that whatever time of the day. I CAN drink black coffee but only as a last resort, cannot stand black coffee or tea, bit at a push I will drink coffee black if I have to!

People should drink their coffee however they enjoy it, whenever they enjoy it :)

Can I ask where you can buy newspapers in Cherbourg? Been thinking about this and am wondering where to get Saturday's papers - too early I would imagine to get them on board when arriving at 6.30am. And by evening departure at 7pm will they have any left!

Pretty certain I can get them in Cherbourg, but where would be best? Thought I'd tag this onto this thread rather than start a new one just for papers.

Can I ask where you can buy newspapers in Cherbourg? Been thinking about this and am wondering where to get Saturday's papers - too early I would imagine to get them on board when arriving at 6.30am. And by evening departure at 7pm will they have any left!

Pretty certain I can get them in Cherbourg, but where would be best? Thought I'd tag this onto this thread rather than start a new one just for papers.

Brigitte, the French don't bother with newspapers like the Brits do. I don't think any national daily reaches a circulation of even 400,000.

Would you believe that Ouest France has the largest circulation of any French language publication IN THE WORLD?

Brit papers in France (outside Paris) - 24hrs late and very expensive.

Thanks Prfd, what I'm going to do is pop into my regular newsagent here and ask them to put Saturday's papers aside and pick them up Sunday morning. Sounds like me and my lot would get some funny looks in France with our piles of dailies!!

Getting an English newspaper shouldn't be too much of a problem on-board Khaines. We've always been able to get one on the outward trip. Might not be your usual, but it'll be a newspaper.

Cheers for that Greg - I'm just flapping. Now I've got everything sorted my mind is finding little things like that to flap about.8-) Should have more things to occupy myself but I do like me papers, ingrained habit!

Option 2. Buy Friday's papers and not read them till Saturday....:D