Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Val de Loire

Signal flag bunting

I am tying to put together the type of bunting that ships use (with the maritime signal flags) and was wondering what order they go in. After studying pictures that I have taken of the Pont, and some naval ships, I still haven’t the foggiest notion of what order they go in…

Help!

Re: Signal flag bunting

well they normally go one after the other in a line, attached to cord! :tongue1:

sorry Kieran

too good a chance to resist

I am tying to put together the type of bunting that ships use (with the maritime signal flags) and was wondering what order they go in. After studying pictures that I have taken of the Pont, and some naval ships, I still haven’t the foggiest notion of what order they go in…

Help!

Please see this website, everything will beciome clear: www.anbg.gov.au/flags/signal-meaning.html

Regards

Micheil & Jacqui

Thanks Micheil, thats a start. Now, is it me, or are there numbers at intervials when it is used to dress a ship overall? Have a look at the attachements (thats the best example i can find).

Sorry to jump in on your thread, but you might find the information below useful.

I suspect that on most "pleasure" ships and yachts the display order is random. However, the Royal Navy has a strict order of standardisation for "Dressing Overall" to prevent the possibility that random display could send an unintentional message.

The order from bow to stern should be:

E, Q, n3, G, n8, Z, W, n6, P, n1, 1, AP, T, Y, B, X, 1st sub, H, 3rd sub, D, F, 2nd Sub, U, A, O, M, R, n2, J, n0, N, n9, K, n7, V, n5, L, C, S.

The line between the masts of two-masted vessels starts with Y and finishes with O.

There are included rules for the flying of ensigns when a ship is Dressed Overall, but they may not be relevant in the context of your enquiry.

Hope this helps.